Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Ross Barkley

Status
Not open for further replies.
He did actually you're right, and that's what I want to see more of... not dawdling on the ball and slowing our attacks at every opportunity.

Confidence makes and breaks him atm

I agree he does do this, but then he'll also creates something.

I'm sure Ronko would've been happy with Ross' performance for 60mins today from a defensive tactical point of view playing deeper. We kept them quiet, had a lot of possession, and created a couple of chances.

We just had zero quality in our forward line.

He's brain dead. He just can't seem to understand that he can't have all the time he wants on the ball. Wouldn't sell him unless it's for silly money but he's not good enough to start every week. Dele Alli is streets ahead of this lad now. Even young Davies is putting him to shame out there.

So that is why he has the 7th most assists in the league then?
You can deny the stats all you want mate, but they paint a picture and it isn't one of a player that isn't good enough.
Robles has the best clean sheet to game ratio in the league yet everyone with blue tinted glasses wants him replaced because he 'isn't good enough'

Stats don't paint a clear picture.

Today, barkleys messing around cost us momentum in midfield by slowing the game right right down, and ultimately halted many of our attacks in my opinion.

Btw I'm not saying get rid, I just want him to be better

Barkley today was ponderous, undecided, generally very poor. The time has come for Koeman etc to decide whether the future of Everton is with or without Ross. Personally I don't think we will take the next step up if Barkley is to be the fulcrum of our creative ability. Many Premier league clubs have midfielders who might not show the rare flashing moment that we get from Ross, but they do play at a consistently reasonable level, and 'do a job' more than Ross.To make the top four, we need a couple of top four midfielders, and my doubts of the last couple of seasons re Ross are currently being reinforced. He's had about 6/7 weeks this season when you could say he's 'playing well' but that lack of consistency doesn't win title or get top four.

DCLs speed troubled Chelsea early on, and Valencia came alive in the second half until the first goal. Both contributed more positively than Ross today, and Ross' lack of end product on a regular basis will determine any decision about next seasn. Not looking good for the local lad.
So when he put both of them in in the first 10 minutes, that was a lack of contribution was it?
His creative output is amongst the best players in the league. We should look to supplement that rather than replace it.
That's just dumb.
Look at Chelsea. They have several players in that category. We have one. They're winning the league. We aren't. We need more than one good creative player to be a successful team that competes for Champions League places and the Title.

I agree he does do this, but then he'll also creates something.

I'm sure Ronko would've been happy with Ross' performance for 60mins today from a defensive tactical point of view playing deeper. We kept them quiet, had a lot of possession, and created a couple of chances.

We just had zero quality in our forward line.
Absolutely, as a cm today playing deeper he didn't exactly open us up. He was very disciplined, now wether or not his attacking instinct was hindered by this role I don't know, but he wasn't effective as an attacker today which is his primary role for me.

This season his fitness, energy and tackling have all improved noticeably which gels well with that deeper role. But my prior points still stand in that he was slowing our game down and making wrong passes consistently

The problem with Ross is he disappears when pressure is on and is too predictable with his passing like today when Chelsea knew what he was going to do before he did :-( The guy needs to have a sports psychologist? to sort him out ! His 23 not a kid and excuses are always being made for him and today when his leadership was needed it was 18 yr old Davis who took game by throat and not Barkley :-( You can't build a team around a spineless lad who only turns up when he wants :-( His too inconsistant :-(

Quite clear that Ross is not good enough to be a star in this league. With him as the most creative player in the team, we are going nowhere. The lad needs some help.

The media have got it wrong with, "Everton need to convince Ross Barkley that his future is at Goodison".

It's the other way around, he needs to prove to Koeman and Walsh that he is good enough.

That over hit pass at the end was shocking. Class bit of skill on the half way line and then loses it. He's not a kid anymore and it looks like we arn't skint. He could be replaced.

Absolutely, as a cm today playing deeper he didn't exactly open us up. He was very disciplined, now wether or not his attacking instinct was hindered by this role I don't know, but he wasn't effective as an attacker today which is his primary role for me.

This season his fitness, energy and tackling have all improved noticeably which gels well with that deeper role. But my prior points still stand in that he was slowing our game down and making wrong passes consistently
Agreed that he didn't get it right as much as he could have today. But also hard to be as effective as we expect with two runners in DCL and Valencia and not much creativity between them. He was playing much more as a midfielder today than the interchanging wide right he's enjoyed success in recently.
Get better players who can also create and contribute with some goals and assists and we'll see a better Ross. Simply put our forward line is not good enough at the moment and requires attention in the summer in order to compete for Top Four next season. One starter and one back up/interchange needs to come in IMO.

Don't know what people are expecting from him Everton play most fixtures with one up front and the fella up front makes no movement because he is marked out of the game and looks un interested for most of the time so Barkley dwells on the ball because he has no other options other than going sideways Barkley is a good footballer but he can't win games by himself the squad needs a clear out

True. And I think it does take away his game playing that deep.

He does need a consistent season. Think he's done well adjusting to Koeman's needs but in the same respect, Koeman spent half a season trying to find a side that clicked.

Koeman will want to keep him based on how he reacted and how important he's been creatively. But he'll also know he'll need to reinforce that area.

I still think Spurs will try and pinch him just to build their squad.

The media have got it wrong with, "Everton need to convince Ross Barkley that his future is at Goodison".

It's the other way around, he needs to prove to Koeman and Walsh that he is good enough.

That over hit pass at the end was shocking. Class bit of skill on the half way line and then loses it. He's not a kid anymore and it looks like we arn't skint. He could be replaced.

Why does he have to prove it to Walsh?

Why does he have to prove it to Walsh?

I would imagine that as Director of football he chats to Koeman, more likely than not about player recruitment.

Walsh and his scouts will be regularly watching players across Europe, creative midfielders and if he thinks they are a better fit than Barkley and can offer more he will be telling Koeman.

So Barkley probably needs to show Walsh that he better than the players that are being scouted. Probably not just his call but you are being naive if you don't think the director of football has influence.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back