Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Ross Barkley

Status
Not open for further replies.
If the bad patch has spanned several seasons I'd say it's not exactly a bad patch, but an inconsistent player.

He has a lot of flaws and if he wasn't a Blue we'd chastise him and he'd be sold years ago.

He was ace in the first half of 15-16. Declined from January onwards, as did most of the squad.

His confidence seemed shot through autumn last year but he's been generally excellent since the turn of the year.

14-15 he was out injured until December and came back into a side that was struggling.

If the bad patch has spanned several seasons I'd say it's not exactly a bad patch, but an inconsistent player.

He has a lot of flaws and if he wasn't a Blue we'd chastise him and he'd be sold years ago.
I agree with that last bit. whilst being a local lad piles pressure on him it has also afforded him time and patience from the fans over the last two seasons when many other players stinking out the place like he did for large parts would have been binned. The boy is clearly a very special talent but at some point he has to stop being a prospect and produce regularly, age isn’t an excuse, he’s at a top club surrounded by good players (we know this because the papers keep selling them to Chelsea) and he has a great manager – I’m not sure whether he thinks we’re holding him back? but Everton aren’t the reason he’s not Dele Alli, he is and the only person who can get him to that level is himself. For Every Dele Alli there is a Jack Rodwell, Jack Wilshere, Jose Baxter, Michael Johnson… the list goes on, now’s the time he decides which way he goes. He’s got all the tools and the perfect surroundings, Hopefully he sign a new deal, starts to fulfil his awesome potential and he can be central to everything and anything we achieve over the next 8 years.

people need to stop & think a bit deeper about this for example when we had pienarr, Cahill & arteta Leighton baines was largely considered one of the best left backs in Europe, representatives of Bayern Munich were actually pictured at goodison.

Now I know he has suffered with injuries however look at the difference in his performance levels once the surrounding players & tactics change he is nowhere near as effective. Yes we shouldn't rely on a left back for creativity but for along time we did.

Ross since Christmas when the first choice eleven including Coleman,
schneidrlin & Davies have played has been outstanding with the exception of the odd game which by the way has often been without our first choice team. Matt cheetham the sky sports stats analyst & Everton season ticket holder tweeted that Ross has created the most chances in the league from OpenPlay since Christmas yes ahead of countinho, erikkson, siggurdson ,de Bruyne everyone.

It's clear he isn't going to be able to carry this team however personally I'm very excited to see what he can do once we have better players around him.

His inconsistency and apparent lack of big-game temperament is certainly an issue, but he has all the basic ingredients to prosper.

If he was merely a workhorse, we could sell and replace quite easily.

His future at Everton, if there is to be one, is absolutely bound up in what we do over the summer.

I would like to see the impact of us making 3 or 4 really good signings would have on him individually, maybe it would take the pressure off and allow himself a bit more freedom of expression on the pitch.

It's not that we owe him this - but I would hate to see him end up at Spurs for example and stagnate on the bench there, or worse still for us, fulfill his potential having been surrounded by much better players on the whole.

He has to progress, but so does the club as a whole.

He was ace in the first half of 15-16. Declined from January onwards, as did most of the squad.

His confidence seemed shot through autumn last year but he's been generally excellent since the turn of the year.

14-15 he was out injured until December and came back into a side that was struggling.
He's good in "halves" though. We can't have a main first teamer being good one month, crap the other, yet still remain in the team for both periods.

Don't get me wrong, I want him to excel, but does he have it to consistently do so? And why do we never put the pressure on him the way we do with most others exactly?

Heitinga was booed for not going in a tackle that one time, labelled a shithouse etc etc, Ross has made about 20 in his career and never been even told off for people strolling past him?

He's good in "halves" though. We can't have a main first teamer being good one month, crap the other, yet still remain in the team for both periods.

Don't get me wrong, I want him to excel, but does he have it to consistently do so? And why do we never put the pressure on him the way we do with most others exactly?

Heitinga was booed for not going in a tackle that one time, labelled a shithouse etc etc, Ross has made about 20 in his career and never been even told off for people strolling past him?
He is just mirroring the team it's clear he isn't a personality who can lift or impose himself on team mates what if quite
Simply he is only a good player in a good team.

How do we know what certain players for example Toni Kroos would play like in a poor or average team.

Very very few players in teams such as ours can elevate there team alone or even in tandem with one other player.

Let's build a better team include him in it perhaps he may prove worthy of it being built around him who knows but people saying get rid are genuinely deluded he has something & that something is very very scarce in sterile over coached tactical modern football.

The simple answer to me is not to rely on Ross to do everything for us.

He can still be a main player, but we don't have another creative outlet, and this is why when Ross does have a bad game, it seems to be exaggerated more.

Also, I can't agree that he gets away with things. If anything, he comes under much more scrutiny than others (Deulofeu is/was a prime example).

We have a tiny squad since January and basically have not enough outfield players to fill the team and bench each week.
The positive part of that is that Pennington, Holgate, Davies, Calvert-Lewin and Lookman are all after getting Premiership experience and also Joe Williams and Jon Joe Kenny are being groomed for first team football by involving them in the matchday squad.

The downside is that with so few players available there is no chance to rest or rotate players and relatively little scope to alter formations.
We have become a little predictable and probably a little tired and leggy in the last couple of weeks.
I think some of the players are really looking forward to a break.

...the Telegraph suggest Barkley is now Spurs no1 target. I do wonder who will want him and I wouldn't be surprised if his agent has already been discussing a move;

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/football...africa-cup-nations-commitments-could-scupper/

If he has got something lined up it does explain why he's not signed a new contract. I suppose it all depends now on a club meeting our valuation although we've played our hand by saying he can go.

I agree with that last bit. whilst being a local lad piles pressure on him it has also afforded him time and patience from the fans over the last two seasons when many other players stinking out the place like he did for large parts would have been binned. The boy is clearly a very special talent but at some point he has to stop being a prospect and produce regularly, age isn’t an excuse, he’s at a top club surrounded by good players (we know this because the papers keep selling them to Chelsea) and he has a great manager – I’m not sure whether he thinks we’re holding him back? but Everton aren’t the reason he’s not Dele Alli, he is and the only person who can get him to that level is himself. For Every Dele Alli there is a Jack Rodwell, Jack Wilshere, Jose Baxter, Michael Johnson… the list goes on, now’s the time he decides which way he goes. He’s got all the tools and the perfect surroundings, Hopefully he sign a new deal, starts to fulfil his awesome potential and he can be central to everything and anything we achieve over the next 8 years.

Not going to happen though...He'll end up like Tom - the new hoddle - Huddlestone at Hull or somewhere

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back