Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Ross Barkley

Status
Not open for further replies.
...the Telegraph suggest Barkley is now Spurs no1 target. I do wonder who will want him and I wouldn't be surprised if his agent has already been discussing a move;

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/football...africa-cup-nations-commitments-could-scupper/

If he has got something lined up it does explain why he's not signed a new contract. I suppose it all depends now on a club meeting our valuation although we've played our hand by saying he can go.
I've often thought barkley had similar attributes to dembele certainly from a physicality perspective Ross is a lot more creative but dembele is far better defensively however pochentinno said last month that if he has got hold of dembele when he was in his early twenties then he would have turned him into one of the best players in the world.

That's some praise the reason I bring it up is to highlight that poccetinho probably the best young manager in the world clearly thinks he can get something from Barkley. He is a fanatastic coach & for me & would only be good for Ross add in the fact that if he leaves it certainly won't be for a premium then we really have let this go too far.

I know, And I agree, Point still stands though, He's obviously nothing more than a mid table midfielder, If we want any slight hope of top 4 we have to try and sign a top quality attacking midfielder

sorry missed this yesterday.

i dont think its that obvious though and i think we should hold fire on a definitive opinion on Barkley until we have seen him with some better attackers and better movement around.

even if he doesnt move on from the current inconsistent player I would still have him in the squad because as shown thus far he does have something to offer when in form.

I've often thought barkley had similar attributes to dembele certainly from a physicality perspective Ross is a lot more creative but dembele is far better defensively however pochentinno said last month that if he has got hold of dembele when he was in his early twenties then he would have turned him into one of the best players in the world.

That's some praise the reason I bring it up is to highlight that poccetinho probably the best young manager in the world clearly thinks he can get something from Barkley. He is a fanatastic coach & for me & would only be good for Ross add in the fact that if he leaves it certainly won't be for a premium then we really have let this go too far.

...that's an interesting comparison and one I can relate to even if they largely operate in different areas of the pitch. Both have that ease of going past players. I noticed Barkley mention Dembele as his most difficult opponent. One thing with Dembele, I think he's physically much stronger than you'd imagine.

Absolute load of tosh that mate. It's an excuse, driven up by the media to give Ross a reason to leave.

As Sherwood said a few weeks ago on Goals on Sunday, the Spurs fans haven't always been singing "Harry Kane he's one of our own". They used to give Sherwood loads of stick for playing Kane ahead of Soldado.

If he plays for a top 6 side, as a 23 year old, an England international who has been to 2 major tournaments and arriving for a decent price tag, he will get plenty of stick if he makes a mistake, plenty, much more than he gets at Everton.

http://www.redcafe.net/threads/gareth-bale.219286/

See how those knowledgable Utd fans really rated Gareth Bale. I'm sure if he was coming through United's ranks they would have given him loads of time to develop, like Pogba.

im not sure examples of other fans being impatient really wins any argument there blaggy

We have a tiny squad since January and basically have not enough outfield players to fill the team and bench each week.
The positive part of that is that Pennington, Holgate, Davies, Calvert-Lewin and Lookman are all after getting Premiership experience and also Joe Williams and Jon Joe Kenny are being groomed for first team football by involving them in the matchday squad.

The downside is that with so few players available there is no chance to rest or rotate players and relatively little scope to alter formations.
We have become a little predictable and probably a little tired and leggy in the last couple of weeks.
I think some of the players are really looking forward to a break.
Completely agree ref the predictable comment.

Teams simply mark schneidrlin & Ross trying to leave jags, Williams, holgate & Gueye with the ball which means we struggle to move the ball forwards well enough. the centre halfs distribution is terrible at best, Gueyes passing is poor & holgate whilst doing well when he is wide struggles as it's not natural to him.

...that's an interesting comparison and one I can relate to even if they largely operate in different areas of the pitch. Both have that ease of going past players. I noticed Barkley mention Dembele as his most difficult opponent. One thing with Dembele, I think he's physically much stronger than you'd imagine.
No i see the strength he is excellent at using it too. Ross has that in his game also just needs to use it better at times.

...the Telegraph suggest Barkley is now Spurs no1 target. I do wonder who will want him and I wouldn't be surprised if his agent has already been discussing a move;

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/football...africa-cup-nations-commitments-could-scupper/

If he has got something lined up it does explain why he's not signed a new contract. I suppose it all depends now on a club meeting our valuation although we've played our hand by saying he can go.
I've yet to see anything concrete that Ross has actually been offered a contract yet.Nor that he bas refused to sign one.
Fwiw I have a feeling Koeman isnt 100% on board with Ross.
Could be wrong like but my feeling is Koeman is waiting till season's end to decide whether he wants him.

The simple answer to me is not to rely on Ross to do everything for us.

He can still be a main player, but we don't have another creative outlet, and this is why when Ross does have a bad game, it seems to be exaggerated more.

Also, I can't agree that he gets away with things. If anything, he comes under much more scrutiny than others (Deulofeu is/was a prime example).
That opinion is halfway in our fan base tbh.

"But he's a blue though" seems to be a very used 'excuse' when he performs badly, as was why we kept on to ageing players for a season extra.

They need a bigger squad for Europe and another creative player as back up to Eriksen. Potch seems to like English players, he's tested in the league, wouldn't cost a fortune.

Makes sense to me

I've yet to see anything concrete that Ross has actually been offered a contract yet.Nor that he bas refused to sign one.
Fwiw I have a feeling Koeman isnt 100% on board with Ross.
Could be wrong like but my feeling is Koeman is waiting till season's end to decide whether he wants him.

..I thought RK made it clear that contracts were on the table for both Barkley and Lukaku but he couldn't force either to sign. If Barkley doesn't sign he will be sold. I also saw an interview with Jamie Redknapp, he said he'd spoken to Barkley and got the clear impression he won't sign and wants a move. Surely if no contract had been offered it would have been made public.

I could have place some credence in the article till I read City and Chelsea are monitoring the situation
Pure and utter crap.
ROSS would struggle to get on Chelsea's bench as a midfield substitute

Last edited:
I could have place some credence in the article till I read City and Chelsea are monitoring the situation
Pure and utter crap.
ROSS would struggle to get on Chelsea's bench as a midfield substitute
Plus I can imagine Ross when he's told that his main job will be fill in for Ericksen in the Mickey Mouse games and to come on and give him a rest for the last 10 mins when Spurs are 3-0 up.
If he wants to play in the World Cup he needs first team football

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back