Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Ross Barkley

Status
Not open for further replies.
Put him in the Chelsea team he rips the league apart? He's not good enough to get in their side... they have fabrigas on the bench...

The question at Everton FC is not "how do we make Barkley amazing" it's how do we get the best team isn't it? At the moment we play with 3 defensive mids to accomodate him... that's fine if your goals etc are worth the sacrifice ... but it's not IMO... he's not THAT GOOD... he can do things that other players can not learn in a million years.... and he showed that at 17 years of age... the theory was that you can't coach that but you can coach the basics , tactics and awareness wil come in time ... his awareness sadly hasn't developed , his decision making is actually worse because he over thinks things.....and his long range goals, driving runs Etc aren't as common anymore... last season he scored his best goals tally so far, but he had no defensive responsibilities at all... an aurgument could be made that if we replaced him with a second striker they would have scored more ...
Did you read that we play 3 defensive midfielders to accommodate him in the shoot or the match comic.

We play 3 defensive midfielders as our defence is shocking and has no pace particularly at centre half.

It a testament to Koemans tactical acumen that we have conceded so few.

The problem with Barkley is all do to with extremes.

He is either boss or absolute crap. Nobody seems to see him for what he is. A good Premier League player. There is nothing wrong with that.

He has games where he has a bit of a mare like most top flight level footballers do, he will also have games were he plays really well, again like top flight players do.

Problem is we don't really have anyone else to play the role he does right now so he is very much in the spotlight. Subbing him changes the system and he can not really be taken out of the firing line if he is having a bad day.

He will never be a world beater, he has loads of ability but not as much as some of his backers claim and he does not do it consistently enough but some of the stick he gets is insane too.

We have basically got a quality premier league player from our youth system who should be good enough to be in our team/squad for the next ten years. Again, there is zero wrong with that.

I don't understand the argument that you can't blame him for not 'dragging us to victory'. He's our main , in fact probably our only creative outlet at the moment ,that's his actual job. When he plays well which he has this season,this is exactly what he does and what he is paid to do. You can't exonerate him from any responsibility and just blame the rest of the team, any more than you can exonerate a goalie from letting a soft goal in because Barkley wasn't on the line to clear it. Criticism is part and parcel of being a footballer. Some people just seem overly defensive where Barkley is concerned.

Did you read that we play 3 defensive midfielders to accommodate him in the shoot or the match comic.

We play 3 defensive midfielders as our defence is shocking and has no pace particularly at centre half.

It a testament to Koemans tactical acumen that we have conceded so few.

Koeman is a good manager who could become one of the best, and he would never shift a whole team around to 'accommodate' one player. Koemans basic understanding of the game of football is that its a team game in which the whole team works hard for each other ,giving every player the best chance to do his particular job. In the long/medium term, if Koeman/Walsh find a player who will be better than what we currently have in any position, and who has the right attitude and work rate, they will replace the current player,whether it be Barkley ,Gana, or anyone. There are no excuses at Premier league level...players cannot 'hide' or play below their capability for very long.

I'd like to see him play a bit deeper.

If you think of some of his greatest moments such as the goal away at Newcastle, he gets the ball deep and runs through the midfield, exploiting the space. He scored a similar goal at goodison, which ended with a left foot pile driver ( but I cant remember who it was against!)

Put him in the Chelsea team he rips the league apart? He's not good enough to get in their side... they have fabrigas on the bench...

The question at Everton FC is not "how do we make Barkley amazing" it's how do we get the best team isn't it? At the moment we play with 3 defensive mids to accomodate him... that's fine if your goals etc are worth the sacrifice ... but it's not IMO... he's not THAT GOOD... he can do things that other players can not learn in a million years.... and he showed that at 17 years of age... the theory was that you can't coach that but you can coach the basics , tactics and awareness wil come in time ... his awareness sadly hasn't developed , his decision making is actually worse because he over thinks things.....and his long range goals, driving runs Etc aren't as common anymore... last season he scored his best goals tally so far, but he had no defensive responsibilities at all... an aurgument could be made that if we replaced him with a second striker they would have scored more ...

This is far off, that I have to question you even watching us this season ??

He has been quality since the turn of the year.....yet all that is forgotten because of his last 2 games.

I don't understand the argument that you can't blame him for not 'dragging us to victory'. He's our main , in fact probably our only creative outlet at the moment ,that's his actual job. When he plays well which he has this season,this is exactly what he does and what he is paid to do. You can't exonerate him from any responsibility and just blame the rest of the team, any more than you can exonerate a goalie from letting a soft goal in because Barkley wasn't on the line to clear it. Criticism is part and parcel of being a footballer. Some people just seem overly defensive where Barkley is concerned.

Agreed, however as he is our own only real option for that role we cant give him the opportunity to play himself back into form etc or take him out of the firing line for a while. Nobody can be good all the time.

So wrong in almost every way.

Keeper lets a goal in, you look at the defense.
Striker is not scoring you look at the creativity around him.
Creative player does not creat, find out why and look at his options.

Thats why most of us are not in football, we cant see this bigger picture. Clearly I can though!!

Thats why most of us are not in football, we cant see this bigger picture. Clearly I can though!!

Let's be honest, you have massively overrated Barkley from the outset. Understandable given the guff spouted from Mr Phenomenal, but I'm afraid you fell for it.

So, essentially, when anything goes wrong it's somebody else's fault.? :)

I don't understand the argument that you can't blame him for not 'dragging us to victory'. He's our main , in fact probably our only creative outlet at the moment ,that's his actual job.

A job which, considering he's created more opportunities in the league than any other English player, he is doing well.

Let's be honest, you have massively overrated Barkley from the outset. Understandable given the guff spouted from Mr Phenomenal, but I'm afraid you fell for it.

No one putting Ross's chances in the back of the net. I forgot that we had Brett Angel up front, could have sworn it was the league's leading goal scorer.

Suppose it must be because he is being given too much defensive responsibilities. Oh no, forgot again, he regularly has Schneiderlin, Gana and Davies doing that form him.

Have to be honest, think the players who play around Barkley are pretty good. I think those who understand football can see that Ross has been massively overhyped from a young age. Will he live up to it? who knows but you certainly don't.[/QUOTE]

You see, I dont rate him a worldy or anything, I think he is a very good prem player with some top moments, and thats ok, because he cost nothing and we created him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back