Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Ross Barkley

Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree with you to a point. But it's part and parcel of supporting any football team. I have a couple of people around me who hate Rom. One absolutely despises him and doesn't even celebrate his goals , ridiculous. However he is an Evertonian ,who cares about his club. Football is a release , a chance to think about something other than bills or whether we'll have a job next week. It's only value is the value we invest in it. The fans ARE the club , take them away and your left with 22 grown men in shorts kicking a bag of wind around a bit of grass. No player is or should be beyond criticism. We're all Evertonians even if we sometimes see things differently.

Again. I haven't said no criticism

Last edited:
I came across this quote in "Angels with Dirty Faces: The Footballing History of Argentina" and I thought it encapsulated Ross Barkley quite well:

'The enganche [the pivot, a midfielder that knits together possession]', the columnist Hugo Asche wrote in a column in Perfil in 2007, is 'an artist, almost by definition a difficult, misunderstood soul. It would, after all, hardly seem right if our geniuses were level headed. Our man is a romantic hero, a poet, a misunderstood genius with the destiny of a myth. Riquelme, the last specimen of the breed, shares with Bochini the melancholy and the certainty that he only works under shelter, with a court in his thrall and an environment that protects him from the evils of this world'.

I'll bet another Argentinian at Spurs senses this to be true also and will move quickly this summer to put RB in a white shirt for next season.

I came across this quote in "Angels with Dirty Faces: The Footballing History of Argentina" and I thought it encapsulated Ross Barkley quite well:

'The enganche [the pivot, a midfielder that knits together possession]', the columnist Hugo Asche wrote in a column in Perfil in 2007, is 'an artist, almost by definition a difficult, misunderstood soul. It would, after all, hardly seem right if our geniuses were level headed. Our man is a romantic hero, a poet, a misunderstood genius with the destiny of a myth. Riquelme, the last specimen of the breed, shares with Bochini the melancholy and the certainty that he only works under shelter, with a court in his thrall and an environment that protects him from the evils of this world'.

I'll bet another Argentinian at Spurs senses this to be true also and will move quickly this summer to put RB in a white shirt for next season.

Pivot Dave.

1. I came across this quote in "Angels with Dirty Faces: The Footballing History of Argentina" and I thought it encapsulated Ross Barkley quite well:

'I'm never sad
but sometimes lonely
doing things someone's told me
We're the people you don't wanna know
We come from places you don't wanna go

Angels with dirty faces
Angels from nowhere places
Kids like me and you '
(Pursey/ Treganna) Sham 69

He's going nowhere, he's one of us.

Pivot Dave.

'I'm never sad
but sometimes lonely
doing things someone's told me
We're the people you don't wanna know
We come from places you don't wanna go

Angels with dirty faces
Angels from nowhere places
Kids like me and you '
(Pursey/ Treganna) Sham 69

He's going nowhere, he's one of us.

I thought it was a pretty good approximation of the climate that has to be created around Barkley for him to flourish. He'll never get that from a manager that stresses repetition of the basics. He needs someone like Pochettino who can believe in him. That's not to say Pochettino is a soft touch for work rate, he came through the Bielsa system and he knows all about the importance of work rate.

It'd be sad to see Barkley go, but in another sense it'll be fascinating if he does to see just how he develops under expert guidance.

I thought it was a pretty good approximation of the climate that has to be created around Barkley for him to flourish. He'll never get that from a manager that stresses repetition of the basics. He needs someone like Pochettino who can believe in him. That's not to say Pochettino is a soft touch for work rate, he came through the Bielsa system and he knows all about the importance of work rate.

It'd be sad to see Barkley go, but in another sense it'll be fascinating if he does to see just how he develops under expert guidance.
What if he didn't develop any further though, you seem so certain he would but it's also possible he wouldn't. What would you say then Davek?

I'll bet another Argentinian at Spurs senses this to be true

You're not even trying to be subtle here fgs

Was nice that Ross handled the two situations that had nothing to do with football a few weeks back very well, unlike the hoards of Bedwetters who had meltdowns over them on here. Played Ross.

What does that mean? I provided a quote concerning another player that fits the bill for Barkley, imo.

Your recent contribution to this thread seems to solely revolve around bashing the manager and repeatedly stating your opinion that he will be sold.

I believe in you, and think you can be much more subtle Davey than that last post.

Can't see them needing him myself but decent book that.

..very interesting and it will be interesting where Barkley ends up and how his career develops.

Can't see them needing him myself but decent book that.
It's very good. The central thread running through it: the struggle between playing football in an entertaining and winning way and playing to win at all costs which has riven Argentinian football, resonates with me. I tend to divide football up in that way too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back