Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Ross Barkley

Status
Not open for further replies.
What an absolute rubbish stat that is! These modern stats are getting silly.

I agree with everything you said though.
If you look at the list of the other players on it though with erikkson second siggurdson 3rd it's not bad company to be in regardless of the validity of the stat.

I hope ROSS stays
I know there are arguments against because of his defensive capabilities but I'd love a middle 3 of Morgan Gana ROSS
With 2 new younger faster CB and a replacement for Baines in a yr or so I don't think ROSS would be as exposed defensively.
I think he's better off with the ball at his feet driving towards the opposition box.
However I think RK doesn't rate him as highly as most and if he could get 40/50 million he may well believe he can get a better player for the money.
The talk of ROSS going to Spurs baffles me.
He won't replace Eriksen or Ali , won't get a game as a defensive midfielder , and I don't think he has the high pressing game Poch wants
There again Poch knows a lot more about football and if the rumours are true then Poch obviously has a plan for ROSS
I'd hate to see ROSS sitting on the bench and being a bit part player , he is better than that.
I'm afraid as someone else said he will become the next Rodwell or Jeffers.
I hope he signs soon and puts the speculation to bed

I hope ROSS stays

If ever there was an Everton player to really understand that Moyes quote about the danger of leaving Everton it has to be Ross Barkley.

I think the real issue is that he knows that Koeman is still not fully convinced by him. But regardless of that I do think he will stay.

I hope ROSS stays
I know there are arguments against because of his defensive capabilities but I'd love a middle 3 of Morgan Gana ROSS
With 2 new younger faster CB and a replacement for Baines in a yr or so I don't think ROSS would be as exposed defensively.
I think he's better off with the ball at his feet driving towards the opposition box.
However I think RK doesn't rate him as highly as most and if he could get 40/50 million he may well believe he can get a better player for the money.
The talk of ROSS going to Spurs baffles me.
He won't replace Eriksen or Ali , won't get a game as a defensive midfielder , and I don't think he has the high pressing game Poch wants
There again Poch knows a lot more about football and if the rumours are true then Poch obviously has a plan for ROSS
I'd hate to see ROSS sitting on the bench and being a bit part player , he is better than that.
I hope he signs soon and puts the speculation to bed

In all honesty, Ross hasn't really played well once that I can remember this season in a central role.

Pretty much all of his good form has been when he's played from the right with licence to roam a bit

If ever there was an Everton player to really understand that Moyes quote about the danger of leaving Everton it has to be Ross Barkley.

I think the real issue is that he knows that Koeman is still not fully convinced by him. But regardless of that I do think he will stay.

So....sit on the bench for us. Or sit on the bench for Spurs etc.

No much of a choice.

In all honesty, Ross hasn't really played well once that I can remember this season in a central role.

Pretty much all of his good form has been when he's played from the right with licence to roam a bit

I agree but with 2 younger faster CB behind him and now with Morgan in since January I think ROSS would have more freedom and licence to attack.
ROSS mainly had Barry with him in CM when he played there

So....sit on the bench for us. Or sit on the bench for Spurs etc.

No much of a choice.

Not necessarily mate - there is still that option to really step up and realise the potential consistently. Dispel the doubt in Koemans mind (and many others still) and establish himself as the first name on the team sheet.

Its just a case of if that is more likely to happen here or if a fresh start/new challenge is the trigger to it. The fresh start/new challenge option has been the undoing of many promising Evertonians - he knows that - and I think that is possibly the piece that he is really struggling to get his head around at the moment.

Not necessarily mate - there is still that option to really step up and realise the potential consistently. Dispel the doubt in Koemans mind (and many others still) and establish himself as the first name on the team sheet.

Its just a case of if that is more likely to happen here or if a fresh start/new challenge is the trigger to it. The fresh start/new challenge option has been the undoing of many promising Evertonians - he knows that - and I think that is possibly the piece that he is really struggling to get his head around at the moment.

Depends on the circumstances.

For every Rodwell etc there's a Dier, Mustafi, Rooney

Depends on the circumstances.

For every Rodwell etc there's a Dier, Mustafi, Rooney

Possibly mate but the likes of Dier and Mustafi are the classic one that got away type scenario and left without any fuss, expectation, local boy pressure, media scrutiny, had minimum exposure to the first team etc. Lots of top players started somewhere else.

Rooney had already convinced everyone he had it and it was all about the cash and the state we were in.

Ross is yet to convince everyone and I think with him being that bit older than the likes of those we mention above when they left and with the impact/influence of the issues I mention, his situation is subtly different.

He could walk and it might be the making of him - he could equally fall on his arse in a big way and become some sort of journeyman - I suppose time will tell.

Possibly mate but the likes of Dier and Mustafi are the classic one that got away type scenario and left without any fuss, expectation, local boy pressure, media scrutiny, had minimum exposure to the first team etc. Lots of top players started somewhere else.

Rooney had already convinced everyone he had it and it was all about the cash and the state we were in.

Ross is yet to convince everyone and I think with him being that bit older than the likes of those we mention above when they left and with the impact/influence of the issues I mention, his situation is subtly different.

He could walk and it might be the making of him - he could equally fall on his arse in a big way and become some sort of journeyman - I suppose time will tell.

Which is kinda the point. For all the ones crying that he shouldn't leave are the ones that are saying he's not good enough for us to take a step up.

So for some people it shouldn't really matter if he leaves or not.

Which is kinda the point. For all the ones crying that he shouldn't leave are the ones that are saying he's not good enough for us to take a step up.

So for some people it shouldn't really matter if he leaves or not.

Agreed mate - and in the big scheme of things the point you highlight above is probably the main one that it ultimately always comes back to.

Does it really matter.........no one is bigger than the club..........we've been here before......no one is irreplaceable......players come and go........buy better.......home grow better......... etc etc etc

Only time will tell.

I think we as a club need to keep our better younger players for longer periods.
We need to be seen as s club that identifies nurtured and gives young talent a long term future
It'll never happen again but I'd like us to have a team like united had with the class of 92.
When's the last time we brought a top young talent through and kept him for 8/10 yrs on the first team.
Osman and Hibbert don't count.

I wish people would stop talking about potential. He's 23, and been playing first team football for 4 years.

Yes he's only 23, but I don't think that he'll end up being the player we expected when coming through. For me, Tom Davies will outshine Barkley as a player.

I wish people would stop talking about potential. He's 23, and been playing first team football for 4 years.

Yes he's only 23, but I don't think that he'll end up being the player we expected when coming through. For me, Tom Davies will outshine Barkley as a player.

There's potential and there's peak. Barkley at 27 will be different from him at 23.

And Tom Davies is the new Barkley, Barkley was the new Rodwell etc etc.

There'll be another player in 12 months that will eclipse Davies.

An interesting point about Tom D and possibly another factor that may be playing heavily on Ross's mind. He obviously sees him every day in trg and may well be thinking its just a matter of time before this kid makes me look like __________ (insert name of cack player of your own choosing)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back