Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Ross Barkley

Status
Not open for further replies.
Utter mystery why we offered Gibson a new deal without a manager. And what was the fee we got? £2mill? Maybe? Nothing.

And yes, if he didn't rate him he wouldn't be offered a huge contract. It's not a few bob apparently, it's 100k a week. Why offer that to someone you don't rate and don't want to keep?

Bill would see Ross as an easy sign. Boyhood blue, decent wage, you'd hope you wouldn't have to persuade him.

But no, rumours are he's been offered lots as did Lukaku as we want to keep our BEST players as they need to be persuaded to stay.

And in the papers today, Barkley if eying to be paid less to join Spurs that the contract being offered to him here.

Its pretty obvious to me what is going on.

Koeman rates Barkley to some extent. He sees him as a good player but not a great one, more than happy to have him at the club but doesn't want to pay him superstar wages as he thinks they can be used better elsewhere.

Barkley thinks he is one of our best players (that's a whole other argument) and therefore wants similar amounts to the likes of Lukaku and Schniederlin.

I don't see any other reason there can be for all this. Koeman is basically saying take your 60K or leave it. Barkley want's to stay here as he is a boyhood blue and all that but can get a better deal and more love elsewhere.

So just the tactical dinosaur and a manager who's actually improved his game in every aspect?

Steady on, Koemans certainly has not improved his game in every aspect. He's improved the defensive side of the game sure but he has certainly not improved his offensive side. Barkley is now less of a goal threat than at any other point in his career.

Koeman rates Barkley to some extent. He sees him as a good player but not a great one, more than happy to have him at the club but doesn't want to pay him superstar wages as he thinks they can be used better elsewhere.

Barkley thinks he is one of our best players (that's a whole other argument) and therefore wants similar amounts to the likes of Lukaku and Schniederlin.

I don't see any other reason there can be for all this. Koeman is basically saying take your 60K or leave it. Barkley want's to stay here as he is a boyhood blue and all that but can get a better deal and more love elsewhere.

Again, no one 100% knows if there's a contract and for how much.

The Spurs rumours doing the rounds would mean he'd get paid the same/less as we'd offer if it was £60k. Unless the rumoured 100k a week is true then it looks like he'd rather take less money and go to Spurs.

I think overall, money isn't the key here. The football is.

So he's either not convinced Koeman want him as a key player and would rather be a squad player for Spurs than us.

OR...he signs at the end of the season and no one has a clue about anything

Last edited:
Steady on, Koemans certainly has not improved his game in every aspect. He's improved the defensive side of the game sure but he has certainly not improved his offensive side. Barkley is now less of a goal threat than at any other point in his career.
I do feel that's more of a result of him being played as part of the team more, rather than Martinez's free for all approach where the attacking players were just expected to do whatever they could to score. He's certainly not blasting it into row Z every time he gets the ball at the edge of the box.

The Spurs rumours doing the rounds would mean he'd get paid the same/less as we'd offer if it was £60k. Unless the rumoured 100k a week is true then it looks like he'd rather take less money and go to Spurs.

So he's either not convinced Koeman want him as a key player and would rather be a squad player for Spurs than us.

Oh don't get me wrong I am not saying money is the issue. More the symbolism of the monetary offer.

Koeman wants him to stay but thinks he can get a better player in also.

No matter what happens that last part is true ;)

It was a good post up to that point. Imagine thinking he will get "more love" at Spurs. He will be treated as a senior player who cost a lot of money, if he wants to be mollycoddled and babied forever then a move to Spurs is quite the opposite of what he should be after.

We didn't pick up at any point. We played 90 minutes against the 18th placed team in the league without creating a single chance.
we did have one shot in the 66th minute which was more than we did at West Ham - we were slightly better in the 2nd half but agree as usual away from home we just set out the wrong team in a poor formation 4 wins and 8 draws tells us that!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back