Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Ross Barkley

Status
Not open for further replies.
If he goes he goes. Ron laid it out plain and simple: sign or we sell. He can either sign with us or hedge his bets elsewhere. I'm not overly fussed these days what happens; just find it strange why no player seems to be able to come out and say "I want to stay/go" when we hear so much nonsense from them in the press. Fans want clarity.

Bloody obvious he's been tapped up

Bit tired off hearing about how great his potential is etc, the 84/85 team had 7 players in that first 11 who where the same age or younger than Ross is now, only Sheedy, Big Nev, Reid and Gray where older. They actually realized their potential rather than having constant excuses made for why they haven't

Wrong manager, wrong system, needs tough love, needs to be molly coddled and told how much he's loved, lads too low on confidence, he needs time to get over that leg break 7-8 years ago, needs better players around him, the crowds too on his back

at some point maybe we need to just turn around and stop with all the variety of excuses and say he's now nearing 24 and has in no way shape or form lived up to the promise originally held for him, and maybe the answer is he never will do. Offer him the contract the club and manager think is fair - if he rejects it, then good luck and sell him and let getting his potential to finally show itself in his mid twenties become another manager and teams problem

So you mean 7 young players in a great side (80s) and not one young player in a mediocre one (now)?

I think we have to look past the lads talent and see what it actually means as a club thats struggling to keep hold of it's best players.

The "project" aims for Champions League football. At this current rate, we'll struggle in the Europa with a threadbare squad, never mind challenge in the league.

Echoing other posters I'm seriously not arsed now whether he stays or goes. Compare him to Lukaku, same age, Rom has improved for us season on season, Ross hasn't. Think in the eyes of many fans he's already been usurped by Davies as the local talisman, and I can see why think he's already a much more intelligent player. Problem for Ross is there is not one team in the league above us who he'd be a regular started. As Jamie Carragher said he needs to knuckle down and grow up. His best chance is with us, if he can't see that, see ya later lad.

If he goes he goes. Ron laid it out plain and simple: sign or we sell. He can either sign with us or hedge his bets elsewhere. I'm not overly fussed these days what happens; just find it strange why no player seems to be able to come out and say "I want to stay/go" when we hear so much nonsense from them in the press. Fans want clarity.
The club clearly released the news to the press but it didn't actually state anything other than he may or may not sign.

It would be nice to have some clarity have we offered £75k a week & he wants to stay but at £100k.

What's the reason is it because Koeman doesn't really rate him. Appreciate it's difficult to release to much inside information but currently we are in he dark & the club will ultimately spin it to make him look the bad guy every club does it.

So you mean 7 young players in a great side (80s) and not one young player in a mediocre one (now)?

I think we have to look past the lads talent and see what it actually means as a club thats struggling to keep hold of it's best players.

The "project" aims for Champions League football. At this current rate, we'll struggle in the Europa with a threadbare squad, never mind challenge in the league.

Re the first part of your comments, they became great because they rolled their sleeves up and worked hard at it, it's not like they were blessed with a load of world class talent.

In the past they didn't have this ridiculous notion that every decent player thought he deserved CL football and held the club to ransom because of it at contract negotiation time.

The club clearly released the news to the press but it didn't actually state anything other than he may or may not sign.

It would be nice to have some clarity have we offered £75k a week & he wants to stay but at £100k.

What's the reason is it because Koeman doesn't really rate him. Appreciate it's difficult to release to much inside information but currently we are in he dark & the club will ultimately spin it to make him look the bad guy every club does it.

Players are obsessed with social media these days can just tweet "I want to stay but isn't looking likely" or whatever haha. Unless they're under some kind of information embargo.

...perhaps the reason is simple, perhaps he doesn't want to stay.

Strange one with barkley. I feel im a little bi polar when it comes to him.
As short a time ago as after the burnley game i was all 'give him what he wants', 'we must keep him at all costs'

To now im in the 'hes been told by koeman to make a decision by the end of the season, he hasent made one, so sell him'

The attitude of a mid 20s football supporter in the uk i suppose

I love Barkley, but this needs to get sorted one way or the other

If he wants to stay, great, get him signed up

If he wants to leave, that's gutting but let's wish him well and get a move sorted for him so we can start looking for a replacement

This half-way house situation we're in right now helps no one

In my view Barkley is possibly not enjoying the fact that Koeman is not giving him special or star treatment. He's having to work incredibly hard in games and to improve his game. Why leave the team he supports, it's unlikely to be a much better financial offer. Yes he may get CL with Spurs but will he play? I honestly think Barkley can continue to improve and break back into the England squad if he stays and that he will flip if he leaves. He won't flourish because fans "aren't on his back" he will fail because he won't get extra attention and no one will be questioning Pochettino if he leaves Barkley out of the squad.

His game hasn't developed at all this season. All the talk that it had a few months back was garbage. It was never anywhere near the truth.

The lad plays in a certain way - HAS to play in a certain way - where he is given a lot of license to get on the ball and drive at the opposition. If it breaks down, then it breaks down. But THAT is Ross's game and trying to limit that and ask him to get on the ball and lay it off more often is curtailing who he is as a footballer.

It could well be his agent is advising Barkley to hold off signing until Lukaku's situation is resolved. My suspicion is that he knows that the club cant possibly allow him and Lukaku to go and join Stones out the door within 12 months as it will look appallingly like we have nothing to offer this kind of talent. Regardless of that though, we have an unhappy player-manager relationship and it's doing no one any good.

Personally don't think he is good enough to get the freedom to do what he wants. He's talented of that there is no doubt, but the fact is he doesn't score anywhere near enough goals and his head still goes in the biggest games is a worry. My view is that if you're going to make somebody the "10" and dissolve them of all positional or defensive responsibility there has to be a reason, otherwise you need to be another cog in the team.

As far as I'm concerned if he goes then we get as much money as we can and reinvest it straight back into the team. I have full faith in Koeman this summer, ideally to find us our Mane and Tadic with the Barkley money or at least one of them. I wouldn't be against Barkley signing a new contract, but I don't think he is as irreplaceable as I had previously thought. Also don't think him and Lukaku works as a partnership either.

Interested to know if people thought we were going to miss Stones or not? I have a feeling if Barkley goes we might see a similar situation.

Strange though given his reaction to scoring etc and his previous comments doesn't really add up

...who knows what's going on but as some have rightly pointed out to me, RK has invested a lot of time in developing Barkley's game in an attempt to make him a more rounded midfielder. The assumption is that the club have offered the lad a significantly improved and long-term contract which suggests he's wanted. The player, however, has not signed which suggests to me that he fancies a move.

There's nothing wrong with that, it's a fact of the modern game. If he's not signing the club need to get the best deal possible and bring in a replacement.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back