Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Ross Barkley

Status
Not open for further replies.
If Pochettino leaves Spurs they could drop out the CL at any point. Now that it's 6 (hopefully 7) into 4, no one can guarantee continuous CL football in the way Barca Madrid Bayern Juve can. Chelsea United Spurs Liverpool have all not been in the CL recently and Arsenal will probably join that list next season. Will Barkley therefore go abroad for guaranteed CL?

No, of course he won't, he'll wind up at Spurs Arsenal or City and it will be to do with money, exposure, playing for England, and being a less important player as he clearly can't handle the pressure of being a team's main man.

As a club we gave him the ideal platform to succeed. Moyes gave him starts as a teenager at top away grounds in his favourite number 10 role, Martinez gave him anything he wanted, Koeman has continued to play him out of bad form altering tactics to get the best from him,and it's not happened for him. Eventually he only has himself to look st. All the talent in the world but is the desire to stamp his authority on this Everton side there? We'll soon find out it seems.
All of those teams rotate and big players dont get to play all the games. It's a different set up to here. And I dont think he's ever been tasked with being Everton's top man. He's not a Gerrard type. He's a player that will flourish with better players around him who have better movement.

The real tone of this debate should not be about telling ourselves he's no great loss; the tone should be about 'why are we losing this talented player? What's going wrong here that he wants away and Lukaku want away?'.

Everybody still assuming everything I see

The situation could still simply be Barkley aint happy with the current contract offer and is still looking to negotiate until happy with the offer.

Koeman however may be now basically stating sign or you are gone and that means he doesn't feel the player deserves whatever they are looking for.

We have no idea what is offered and what is wanted.

If the above situation is the truth I would be extremely unhappy, as I have always stated I would hate to lose a life long Blue because of the decisions of a manager who I still think will be here short term.

Either way, I guess we wait for a week and should know more.

Well, with that we are on to assumptions.

I wont be assuming anything.

Just hope he stays.

Pretty much everything on a football forum is opinion/assumption...

Whilst one is somewhat reluctantly and sadly resigning ones self to Ross leaving, one hopes if this is indeed the case, that he bows out of Goodison on a high... a top drawer performance tomorrow embellished with a stunning goal... or two.

What?!

I think it's the objective isn't it?

Champions League is the objective for us, but its not the same being Celtic in the Champions League as being an EPL club in the Champions League. Celtic need the Champions League money just to keep going and if they make it through the qualifying rounds to the group stage, its an achievement, if they make it out of the group they have massively overachieved, when you look at the money they have and the players they can attract, they are competing for players with teams in the English Championship, I doubt they could actually afford a player like Barkley, if he signed for us or another team he will be on a minimum of £100k a week. Celtic only get about £2.8m for winning the SPL. If they qualify for the group stage of the champions league they get about £12m.

Another 12 months?

How much longer are we going to say that?

Improvement is up for debate mate, but even if we agreed on that, I'd say it's still not enough.

4 goals - by his own admission he needs to be double figures every season.

He had a couple of good months - but there's a reason he was crying on the Everton bench not long ago and not getting a sniff of the England team.

Consistency - gut feeling and the last 3 years suggests we can't rely on Ross Barkley as a regular to bridge the gap with the top.

Koeman isn't here long term, and he won't want to play a lottery with him because he's a local lad.
Fair comments, specifically those about about bridging and his modest stats.
It's no secret I was a big Martinez fam but on reflection it's clear he over indulged Ross. And Lukaku for that matter.
This season he's had a manager putting him to task. New system. New, higher efforts (frankly, running) required. It's almost like he's had this year what he should have had at the beginning of his career, setting out key principles.
It's too much to ask to then judge him as he undertakes his belated apprenticeship on things like goals, assists. Especially as it's such a shift from the previous 3 seasons.
Like any new job, surely it's fair to say you need a period of guidance and bedding before you're judged on your output?
In 12 months time the jury will finally be out on Barkley. There will be noone, not me or even king of debate Dave K, that can argue he needs more time. He will either be a top player in the making, perhaps needing fine tuning, or he won't.

All of those teams rotate and big players dont get to play all the games. It's a different set up to here. And I dont think he's ever been tasked with being Everton's top man. He's not a Gerrard type. He's a player that will flourish with better players around him who have better movement.

The real tone of this debate should not be about telling ourselves he's no great loss; the tone should be about 'why are we losing this talented player? What's going wrong here that he wants away and Lukaku want away?'.

...you keep asking the same question about Barkley and Lukaku leaving, clearly you haven't heard an answer you like but it is a bit repetitive.

Ronaldo wanted away from United. Some players want change for change sake. Lukaku will go to a CL club because he wants to play in it, then he'll want to move to a side winning it, then he'll want to move to a side who wins it but pays more etc. We're not at that level as we're 1 year into having a decent owner after 2 decades of regression. If Ross is fed up of waiting then fine, but if he wants to win stuff I have no idea why he's going to Spurs.

Best price fopr him would be to say "Ross Barkley is our player and is contracted to this club. He';s a valued part of the team. Our negotioans with him are ongoing".

Straight bat played - force those who are pursuing his signature to pay a decent price.

That's not for Ronko though. Ronko has to make sure he;s looking like the strongman.

Koeman is right in this instance. Apparently the offer has been there for Ross but he hasn't signed. Everton must be saying to Ross that the offer is the best we are offering you. It still hasn't been signed so now its a case of we have to get someone in to replace him if he doesn't sign so the correct ultimatum is made. Sign or be sold as we as a bigger entity need to move on quickly. Sign or go its as simple as that and not Koeman acting the strongman but Koeman wanting things sorted before the summer transfer window opens so they can search for a replacement or not.

Who has been a more talented player than Barkley and Rooney in that time period then?

Arteta and Kanchelskis were more talented than Barkley. I'd argue that on pure talent Deulofeu and Pienaar had better technique than him (but not power). Stones as a centre back is also probably a greater talent than Ross. I rated Ross' talent in 13/14 as high as anyone's but the three seasons since we've not seen that player.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back