Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Ross Barkley

Status
Not open for further replies.
Speed was a fine player. Kanchelskis a much more potent one. When he's on his game though, Barkley can control a game more than those two - Speed and Kanchelskis had episodes in games this lad can write the whole story.

The water is polluted amongst Evertonians on Barkely. There's practically no sense to be had amongst the fuming. Anyone on the outside of the club looking in though can and do see what an astonishing talent he is. Pochettino would get it out of him.

Kanchelskis single handedly won a Derby at the pit mate, put in the finest ever Everton performance i have seen away at Sheff Wednesday. Scored the winner away at Arsenal, scored again in the home derby against that lot, Scored 15 goals from out wide, he had more than episodes in games - he had the ability and showed it to absolutely destroy teams - and in big games as well.

Speed was simply a brilliant professional - very very overlooked for the best players around at that time

As for Barkley - he's still being talked about as potential this or potential that - he's nearly 24 - at what point does potential become just what you see is what you get?

As for Pocchetino getting the best out of him - if he has found Koeman demanding he works harder hard going - then he won't like life under Pocchetino - and who in that side is he going to replace?

I don't like the rewriting of history either Dave.

Barkley has had a great second half of the season after initially struggling. Koeman has certainly got something out of him that wasn't present in the last few years.

That being said, surely that should make Ross want to stay more. He's improving all the time.

I don't blame Ross and I don't blame Koeman. But a decision needs to be made soon, which is all the latter was saying in his presser.
The press conference was a microcosm of the Barkley-Koeman relationship since day one: Koeman just cant hold his water on the subject. Why on earth is he making statements like that?

He's sacrificed this player's loyalty on the altar of his own giant ego.

Barkley cant work with him. It had to end this way.

After Martinez' indulgence, Koeman's pragmatism is what Ross needs. He's improved tremendously this year and I've been most impressed by his two goal line clearances in whatever recent match that was. But Ross still can't take over a match and still may not have a position.

I don't want him to leave, but I don't see him getting unfair treatment. What else does he need? Less pressure? That may be best.

Yes but a club cannot be held to ransom by anyone. They must be offering what they think he is worth but falls short of what Ross and his agent thinks. I think Koeman wants him to stay and improve his play so the ball is in Barkleys court.....sign or not

Sure, but I am mainly concerned if it is Koeman calling the shots.

Or is it unlikely he would have much say in contract details and wage level?

No, sorry, they're not different in a crucial way - they've both been offered contracts. Koeman has said Barkley not signing a contract would indicate he doesn't want to be here.

Now how, in any way, is that not an issue with Rom too, given he has actively rejected a contract?

If Lukaku hadn't been offered a contract where:

* It was on the table to be signed.
* Rejection of it would indicate he didn't want to be at the club.

... then fine. As it stands, the only difference between the two is one year in contract length, and I don't see that as a big enough difference to put an arbitrary time limit on one and not the other. Why a week? Seriously, why? The transfer window isn't open yet - the season isn't even over yet - so why?? The ball is in our court regardless - we can sell him whenever we want to in the coming months. And why go public on it? Why alienate a player and show rank hypocrisy in your treatment of their peers? It makes no sense - none of it.

Because, as Koeman has said, if Lukaku doesn't sign his contract, then we don't HAVE to sell him, and blatantly don't want to so why would we say we will. With Barkley, if he doesn't sign his contract, realistically, we do have to sell him. Koeman has laid out the choice quite simply for Barkley and Lukaku. Barkley, sign or you'll be sold. Lukaku, sign or you'll stay one more year at least.

I think it;s one worth asking isn't it? If Stones then Barkley and Lukaku go you have to ask 'WTF is going on in that dressing room?'
Nothing. It's modern football where players want instant trophies. Stones wanted to go 2 years ago. Lukaku has been making waves since before Ron came in. We have good players but no player nowadays is going to hang around being part of a project if they are good somewhere better.

..absolutely not. As I've said to you before, they are young and ambitious. Whilst these lads might recognise Project Everton, they want a glamour club at this stage in their career and Everton isn't that. It's not the fault of the manager that they want to go, indeed Lukaku is full of praise for how much Koeman has helped him.

You feel it's the club's fault both are going, I suspect I'm not alone in disagreeing but it's pointless having the same disagreement over and over. Folk won't change their mind.
Losing:

Stones would be unfortunate
Losing Lukaku would be a misfortune
Losing Barkely as well is a cause for alarm.

It looks like we're haemorrhaging our best talent in the first 12 months of the Koeman/Moshiri reign.

Hear hear.

I'm sad about Ross possibly leaving on two counts...

Firstly, I honestly thought (hoped) that the change of manager would sufficiently re-invigorate the boy - it has in patches, but not enough. (Dave, this is not meant to be another opportunity to harangue the current manager)

And secondly, because of all those - and there's one who sits right behind me every game - who habitually slag him off will be getting their wish.

For me, Ross in a mercurial talent who still needs help with his game.
Not the physical side of the game as for me he has all the tools, he needs more help and guidance in analysing his game in order to correct the imperfections and further polish the silky skills he undoubtedly possesses.

I've said it countless times on this platform that I am certain someone like Colin Harvey, for me it should BE Colin Harvey, could help him analyse his game, unpick the mistakes and help correct them; emphasise all the good things he does to help increase his confidence and maybe even his own self-respect.

A couple of hours a week with CH and a video machine, to analyse and simply talk football.

I hope it's not too late, but fear it probably is.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back