Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Ross Barkley

Status
Not open for further replies.
Regardless of whatever circumstances, if a player, any player, is perceived to reject Everton, then Evertonians should cease their support of said player.

No exceptions! If a player doesn't get along with the manager, or thinks he worth more than he's offered, or believes his talent is being stifled by such a small club, or thinks the grass is greener at some other park...there's the door.
when did Ross do anything but bleed blue?

Hope this is just a question of money and one party will compromise.

Koeman (more likely the board) well within his rights to put a deadline on it.

Everyone knows he's coming to his last year so we're playing an open hand.

Sadly, I think him and Rom would have both stayed if we'd got in the top 4 this year, but think both of them now feel they want a step up in competition, and aren't prepared to wait any longer.

Really want him to stay as a couple of better players around him, and think he'll go up a level. But if he won't give us any more time to step up, not a lot we can do.

Lukaku I can see why but not Barkley. He does not show enough at Everton. His decision making will deter him from being a top player. I cannot see Barkley will feature much in the starting lineup of the Sky6. I guess if he stays with Everton he will get most minutes...

Think it's purely a money thing with Barkley, which has probably been exacerbated by the lack of sentiment being shown towards him from Koeman. Both digging their heals in.

Love of Everton isn't enough to make someone stay these days so I won't be daft and begrudge him for that. However he's kidding himself if, with his current ability, he thinks he's deserving of a shot at something bigger.

Like him to stay but wouldn't be a catastrophe if he went.

Potchettino nurtures wonderful talent like Eriksen who are free to express themselves. And why do you think Barkley couldn't do work rate? Isn't that what he's been feted for this season - adding this side to his game?

If we're to go down the 'Barkley isn't hard working enough' route, then lets just do a bit of reflecting on what's been claimed on behalf of Koeman's impact on Barkley this season - if that is the case then all the talk of Koeman developing Barkley has been garbage...something I always knew to be the case anyway.

Ericksen as of about 3 weeks ago had ran more distance in games than any player in the league mate

Yes Barkley is working harder this season, but he's still a mile off what Pocch demands of his players - and is a work in progress very much, and aren't you insisting that Koemans tough handling of him is a major reason he wants out?

Can't have it both ways btw Dave, either Barkley would suit Pocch because he's working a lot harder under Koeman - thus has been developed, or he isn't like you insisted a few times - in which case how would he adjust to a spurs team that work harder than anyone?

Truth is somewhere in the middle, he has developed a lot of the weaker parts of his game, but by nowhere near the level needed to get a place in a spurs side that work harder than anyone

Lukaku I can see why but not Barkley. He does not show enough at Everton. His decision making will deter him from being a top player. I cannot see Barkley will feature much in the starting lineup of the Sky6. I guess if he stays with Everton he will get most minutes...

Still too inconsistent (as a lot of flair players are) and plays better on instinct than when he has time to think, but he's got more than enough quality for me to think we should pull out the stops to keep him.

But player power talks, if he wants to go, he goes.

exactly my thinking, ultimatums are not a sign of power. The completely destroy your leverage with either outcome. 1: if you want Ross to stay, giving him an ultimatum is only going to drive a wedge in the negotiations. 2: if you want to sell Ross, you destroy your bargaining power with any club who wants to purchase him. Koeman shot himself in the foot with outbreak. He needs to learn that he is a football player, a great one, but he is not a business man.

In response to point 1: The club should be in negotiation with Barkley's agent for more than 6 months. If he is ditching and chooses not to give an answer, I am afraid the club have no obligation to wait until he makes his mind up on 31st August. The EL starts on 24th of July and the rebuilding work will continue as soon as the Arsenal game is done. Koeman may even start buying players now he needs to know who is in and is willing to sign new contracts. Point 2: I doubt Koeman's ultimatum will affect much. Everyone knows his contract is up in 12 months. His agent will sound out if his client is not willing to stay.

Ericksen as of about 3 weeks ago had ran more distance in games than any player in the league mate

Yes Barkley is working harder this season, but he's still a mile off what Pocch demands of his players - and is a work in progress very much, and aren't you insisting that Koemans tough handling of him is a major reason he wants out?

Can't have it both ways btw Dave, either Barkley would suit Pocch because he's working a lot harder under Koeman - thus has been developed, or he isn't like you insisted a few times - in which case how would he adjust to a spurs team that work harder than anyone?

Truth is somewhere in the middle, he has developed a lot of the weaker parts of his game, but by nowhere near the level needed to get a place in a spurs side that work harder than anyone

Pochettino is a better man manager than Koeman is. If he wants him, he'll want him for something.

That is a big statement with relatively little to back it up.

I think Pochettino is a good manager, but as yet he has won nothing.

Challenging for the titles 2 years on the bounce while spending a fraction of what the establishment spend means he's getting something out of the players.

I'm not a fan of RK's approach on this; 'sign or be sold' - the club can only sell the player if the player wants to go. Ross has a contract and is entitled to run it down completely. I wouldn't want him to do this, but I would probably delay signing the contract out of principle if I felt someone was employing bully-boy tactics against me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back