Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Ross Barkley

Status
Not open for further replies.
And how much disruption did that cause to our dressing room?

That's not the point

The point was St Dom was saying that Martinez was always bending to the will of the star players whereas Koeman always stands up to them. The situation with Stones is proof that this wasn't true, as he stood up to Stones and told him he was going nowhere, and he got his way

I thought Martinez's last two League campaigns were some of the worst I've ever witnessed, so I'm hardly banging the drum for him, but I'm also going to be fair and point out inaccuracies where they exist

Ericksen as of about 3 weeks ago had ran more distance in games than any player in the league mate

Yes Barkley is working harder this season, but he's still a mile off what Pocch demands of his players - and is a work in progress very much, and aren't you insisting that Koemans tough handling of him is a major reason he wants out?

Can't have it both ways btw Dave, either Barkley would suit Pocch because he's working a lot harder under Koeman - thus has been developed, or he isn't like you insisted a few times - in which case how would he adjust to a spurs team that work harder than anyone?

Truth is somewhere in the middle, he has developed a lot of the weaker parts of his game, but by nowhere near the level needed to get a place in a spurs side that work harder than anyone
The truth is a mess at this stage. It's underneath all the point scoring about Barkley's attitude and ability and it's topped off with a large dollop of disgraceful witch hunting of a lad who is local and therefore apparently fair game for it.

Here's the only facts worth considering:

Both Barkley and Lukaku wont sign new contracts.

Now, what does that say about this football club - its owner and manager?

Stones/Barkley/Lukaku...read the runes.

That's not the point

The point was St Dom was saying that Martinez was always bending to the will of the star players whereas Koeman always stands up to them. The situation with Stones is proof that this wasn't true, as he stood up to Stones and told him he was going nowhere, and he got his way

I thought Martinez's last two League campaigns were some of the worst I've ever witnessed, so I'm hardly banging the drum for him, but I'm also going to be fair and point out inaccuracies where they exist
Oh I understand but it's a fair question because there is no doubt Martinez lost the dressing room during his last two seasons. Koeman is showing he's in charge which he has every right to do, I for one applaud him.

Possibly, but again does he need to do that in a presser?

I dunno to be honest.
Its a bit of a mess; i cant really attach much blame to Ron in it.

If he goes I would feel let down by both the player and the board. He should never have been entering his final year, especially as he is home grown and were supposedly on an upwards curve.

I too think the player is being extremely naive and narrow minded if he is rejecting the deal and believes he can get better at another club and I dont mean money here as thats probably a given. I am talking about development and opportunity. He also owes the club a great deal for sticking by him through some pretty tortous years.

It says very little about the club actually, but speaks volumes about the state of modern football

What it shows is that players want everything right now and aren't prepared to graft and put the hours in to get what they want. They'd rather go to an already successful club, sit on a bench, have the odd run out and get a medal for it at the end so they can say they once won something

It's not just symptomatic of the way the sport has changed over the years but also society in general

People want everything and they want it today. They don't have the patience to wait 2-3 years for a project to come to fruition. Sadly a lot of supporters are also the same

To me, there's no coming back from this ultimatum.

I can't see him signing.

If he did Koeman would just bury him on the bench as punishment for making him look like a bell

The public ultimatum is silly, particularly as we don't have confirmed signings of better quality. We can aspire to sign players like Mata, Sigurddson and that but I think there will be clubs with a lot more money and playing in the CL in line to sign players we want. We can think it's our time all we want but I feel it's a dangerous game. If we end up signing boss players and we are better for it-sound. Big ask IMO

The truth is a mess at this stage. It's underneath all the point scoring about Barkley's attitude and ability and it's topped off with a large dollop of disgraceful witch hunting of a lad who is local and therefore apparently fair game for it.

Stones/Barkley/Lukaku...read the runes.
Nah your not pulling that one Davek, questions need to be asked about the players themselves as well.

That's not the point

Wasn't so much a criticism of Martinez, I just meant the period of time he was manager because we had those players then. It was morevthe board as they had no way forward apart from these young players so we just did everything to big up Ross and Rom. Since Moshiri has come in we're now in a position to remind everyone that it's not a development school or Lukaku shop window fc, this is a team that is going to exist to compete for trophies not to give minutes to wannabe super stars.

It says very little about the club actually, but speaks volumes about the state of modern football

What it shows is that players want everything right now and aren't prepared to graft and put the hours in to get what they want. They'd rather go to an already successful club, sit on a bench, have the odd run out and get a medal for it at the end so they can say they once won something

It's not just symptomatic of the way the sport has changed over the years but also society in general

People want everything and they want it today. They don't have the patience to wait 2-3 years for a project to come to fruition. Sadly a lot of supporters are also the same
None of this sensible talk
It doesn't go down well on here
I do however totally agree
Youth if todaybwant it all now

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back