Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Ross Barkley

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not offensive at all :)

I was careful to try and say I didn't see Gibson as a direct replacement. Not at all.

I think Barkley needs time on the bench to sharpen his approach. We've a half decent squad and others need to be given their chance.

I see the introduction of Gibson as offering a more attacking alternative to the McCarthy/Barry duo.

Ross on the bench would see him fall asleep - he needs to be involved if he's going to learn, particularly from any mistakes.

Gibson as an attacking alternative ?? Now, you are having us on surely ??
He's slower than both Barry - who is almost back to his form of two seasons ago - and McCarthy, who I'll admit isn't attacking enough for a younger, fitter player.

I disagree mate. Goals count for the same at both ends. Barkley keeps making poor choices of late and looks disinterested. He needs a kick up the backside.

IMO, benching him would only hinder his development/form picking up. Villa at home should provide the perfect opportunity to re-find his form from earlier this season.

I'm not expecting Barkley to pull off 30-yard wonder goals all the time. Not at all. Nor to walk the ball through 10 players.

I believe his final output is often very poor. As is his general decision making. Against Sunderland we scored six yet our key creative driving talent didn't offer a single assist? That's a bit of a statistic isn't it?

I get the fact he's young and scouse so automatically immune from comment.

When he's fit Gibson has been a really good player for us. He offers a greater attacking threat than Barry or McCarthy.

I'm not expecting Barkley to pull off 30-yard wonder goals all the time. Not at all. Nor to walk the ball through 10 players.

I believe his final output is often very poor. As is his general decision making. Against Sunderland we scored six yet our key creative driving talent didn't offer a single assist? That's a bit of a statistic isn't it?

When he's fit Gibson has been a really good player for us. He offers a greater attacking threat than Barry or McCarthy.

Not his fault that Mirallas couldn't finish his sublime pass. Barkley was on offer all the time helping keep momentum and keep the ball moving and he also assisted the assisters.

Barkley was involved in 2 of the goals though - I think as the person who got it into the feet of the assister. He doesn't have to clock up assists every game, or goals. We were battering Sunderland and he kept possession ticking over nicely. To say he had a bad game is just plain wrong, for me, though if that;'s your opinion then so be it.

Against West Ham, he was poor and that's disappointing, but in fairness they marshalled him well, and when he got the opportunities his final product was poor. He'll get his form back quickly enough.

Well it sounds at times like you are expecting just those traits...

Speaks well of the team effort then if our key creative didn't get an assist - by the way, how many goals has he scored so far this season ??

I'm a born 'n bred Manc, so that argument doesn't exactly wash with me.

That should surely read 'if Gibson is fit', not when and your idea of good sounds like my idea of mediocre.

Sorry my friend, but there is no way - in my opinion - that Gibson should ever be considered a starting line-up player, in fact, I'd rather him no longer be an Everton player period.
I'd like him to move on to a club where his limited - in my opinion - talents would be put to better use... somewhere like Bolton who really need the kind of stabilising, safety-first footballer that Gibson is.

Cleverley will get the best out of Barkley, he passes it quickly - does give and goes. McCarthy and Barry do not do that, Barry is playing the defensive role the best at the moment, for me McCarthy has been poor and I'm a big fan of his.

Watch how good Barkley was with cleverley in the side, his style of play works well for Ross. Some players need that certain player to get the best out of them, doesn't need to be spectacular like Kone for Rom, like Jags for Stones.

For some reason because Ross is the latest and best scouse midfield talent since Stevie G, people expect him to be an evolved version of him - he is totally different. They share the same ability to shoot from distance and the ability to ping a pass, Gerrards mentality was on a different level and Ross will take time to mature.

You also have got to remember he's the only centre mid who can run 50yrds with the ball from our half to the edge of the oppositions box
And will draw players towards him leaving more space
And the laying it off like he did to McCarthy for one of kone's goals

McCarthy & Barry aren't going to run 50yrds then lay it off to Ross

Cleverley will get the best out of Barkley, he passes it quickly - does give and goes. McCarthy and Barry do not do that, Barry is playing the defensive role the best at the moment, for me McCarthy has been poor and I'm a big fan of his.

Watch how good Barkley was with cleverley in the side, his style of play works well for Ross. Some players need that certain player to get the best out of them, doesn't need to be spectacular like Kone for Rom, like Jags for Stones.

For some reason because Ross is the latest and best scouse midfield talent since Stevie G, people expect him to be an evolved version of him - he is totally different. They share the same ability to shoot from distance and the ability to ping a pass, Gerrards mentality was on a different level and Ross will take time to mature.
Spot on
Cleverly will drive forward a lot more than McCarthy and force defensive midfielders from the opposition to make decisions leaving more space for Barkley

He's much easier to mark when Barry & McCarthy are just sitting behind him

Spot on
Cleverly will drive forward a lot more than McCarthy and force defensive midfielders from the opposition to make decisions leaving more space for Barkley

He's much easier to mark when Barry & McCarthy are just sitting behind him

Agree totally. It's also why I think we've missed Pienaar so much. As well as his link-up with Baines, he also provided another attacking outlet to link with Barkley.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back