Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Ross Barkley

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think that's Ross Barkley's problem to be honest.

As Koeman said in April, you don't offer contracts to players you don't want to stay.

He has a £100,000+ offer on the table, has for months and hasn't signed it.

He's getting off lightly from the fan base if you ask me - if he leaves, he's as worthy as "JUDAS!!!" fume as any other we've had.

Offer is there, at his club at the most exciting time the club have had in his life time and he's snubbed it.

Why?

If it was about money, he wouldn't be trying to get this move to Spurs because he'll struggle to earn the same there as what we have offered him.

I genuinely think there's two reasons for him wanting out. Number one, he genuinely does fancy Champions League football and Spurs have that. He has confidence in his own ability to go there and get in that team (I personally think that's misplaced confidence, but fair enough). Secondly he doesn't feel valued here. He knows Koeman is ambivalent about him and maybe that tough love approach from Koeman has turned him off. I doubt Koeman wants him to leave, but equally I doubt Koeman is devastated at the prospect of him leaving.

Judas? Nah, there's a reasonable argument to be put forward that a parting of the ways might be bets for all concerned in this instance.

Just read this thread again mate.

The club have caused this imo, by waiting this long to offer him the deal.

This is something we will regret.

Do you really think we have been waiting until this summer to talk to his agent about a new deal?

We're stupid sometimes, but we're not that stupid

I think it's based around chances and playing time

That's why I said this;

Seems like other teams fans understand the idea of having more than 11 good players!!!

I think that's Ross Barkley's problem to be honest.

It feels as though Barkley just isn't up to the fight of competing for his place here, which baffles as he'll face a bigger challenge at teams above us...

I think it's based around chances and playing time

I think money is the last of his concerns to be honest

That's not "selling out" in my eyes, because he's prepared to take less to play more

That's not Judas behaviour

What we know for sure is we've offered him £100k+ to stay at Everton.

Comments of him willing to accept less elsewhere is speculative.

The first public comments from the manager was around Barkley wanting champions league, and us wanting to match his ambition - yet, fans seem to dismiss the idea that Barkley simply wants a new challenge/wants champions league...

Ross Barkley has thrown his future at Everton into further doubt after expressing a desire to play Champions League football.

The England midfielder has 14 months remaining on his present deal with Everton and is yet to agree fresh terms to extend his stay at Goodison Park, leading to speculation he could leave in the summer.

Ronald Koeman said Barkley is keen to play for a club competing in the Champions League and the Everton manager also reaffirmed his stance that the 23-year-old will be sold if he does not sign a new contract.

Koeman's side sit in seventh place in the Premier League, seven points behind fourth-placed Manchester City having played a game more.

"I spoke to Ross several weeks ago and he mentioned his ambition, Champions League, and I told him I have the same ambition," Koeman said.

"We're going in a good direction and he is a key player, he is a kid of the club, a kid of the town and in my opinion, there is no better place for him to continue.

"I think it's a normal ambition for players, every player and manager wants to play in the Champions League.

"Our next step is to play in Europe, it may be difficult, if we finish fifth or sixth that will be perfect because you don't play any pre-qualification games for Europe."

Koeman added: "I am not involved in the negotiations, but I know the board is talking to his agent.

Of course we need to know the answer before the end of the season. It's all about the contract and we will offer him what is good, what is normal and what the player is.

"I think the way he is improving this season, Everton is the best place for him to continue."

Just read this thread again mate.

The club have caused this imo, by waiting this long to offer him the deal.

This is something we will regret.

We offered him a deal in February, I believe.

Did his form post-Christmas warrant a new deal? No.

Ross could have easily signed. He hasn't.

That isn't down to the club. It's a very good contract on offer.

Maybe he finds the prospect of working for a manager who constantly undermines him unbearable and he's attracted to a club where players are inspired by their manager?

Koeman's called him one of Everton's better players consistently.

The caveat is that he needs to produce more.

5 goals and 8 assists isn't good enough. Yet this was his best season in a while.

It seems to me that Ross or his agent has been told to sit tight by another club and go on a free in 12 months hence the
reason Ronny has had to force his hand with this contract on the table offer.

Maybe he finds the prospect of working for a manager who constantly undermines him unbearable and he's attracted to a club where players are inspired by their manager?

Possibly, the consensus is Barkley is mentally fragile and can't cope with Koeman's management style.

As I've said before, his captain had to reassure him at Wembley;

"Rosco, they're not booing you. They're booing him [Martinez]"

So, this;

Secondly he doesn't feel valued here. He knows Koeman is ambivalent about him and maybe that tough love approach from Koeman has turned him off. I doubt Koeman wants him to leave, but equally I doubt Koeman is devastated at the prospect of him leaving.

Judas? Nah, there's a reasonable argument to be put forward that a parting of the ways might be bets for all concerned in this instance.

Not disagreeing @toffeeblue9, but same could have been said for Lescott, Gosling etc - it didn't spare them.

Yeah, what a fall from grace.

Lol.
Did you not detect the slightest hint of sarcasm it that last line or that fact that the lack of fall from grace was the exact point I was trying to make Dave?

BTW the fall from grace comes next summer after Belgium are eliminated from the group stage and El Fraudo is sacked

In any event we're badly of topic here so let derail yet another thrend.

Last edited:
He's not going to get more anywhere else than he's getting here, so I don't think he's holding us to ransom

It seems to me that his relationship with Koeman has completely disintegrated

I haven't actually seen anything to suggest that though Mikey.

There's no evident frustration or anything.

I mean, it's possible, but no more likely than a) he wants more money, b) he genuinely just wants to test himself at a new team or c) he's had his head turned.

Koeman's called him one of Everton's better players consistently.

The caveat is that he needs to produce more.

5 goals and 8 assists isn't good enough. Yet this was his best season in a while.

If I was Barkley I'd be weighing up how long Koeman has to be here at Goodison. If I thought he had a season left I'd stick it out. If I thought I had to put up with another two seasons of being scapegoated I'd find CL football very attractive.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back