Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Ross Barkley

Status
Not open for further replies.
...something this manager would never do himself of course.

lol

I'm not saying it's not hypocritical.

But Barkley is a lifelong Evertonian, played a key part last year and improved overall as a player under Koeman.

He's put in the hard graft. Why doesn't he want the rewards? They're on offer to him...

Possibly, the consensus is Barkley is mentally fragile and can't cope with Koeman's management style.

As I've said before, his captain had to reassure him at Wembley;

"Rosco, they're not booing you. They're booing him [Martinez]"

So, this;

Not disagreeing @toffeeblue9, but same could have been said for Lescott, Gosling etc - it didn't spare them.

I don't see how Lescott was in any way comparable

That was a hostile approach and Lescott acted up to get out.

Are Everton *that* bothered about Spurs' interest in Barkley? Is he putting in transfer requests? Are we vehemently protesting about unwanted interest in our player?

Gosling might be a little bit more along the same lines, but fans were only bothered about that one because the club cocked up and let him run his contract down. That isn't happening in this scenario

Yes, but you have to read between the lines.

As above, this is all speculative.

Some use it to fit their own agenda.

He's buying up players who can do Barkley's job

Shock. Horror.

It was needed last season, more so this season with Europa.

Koeman has repeatedly said Everton is the best place for Barkley to continue.

and therefore making it even more the case that he'll find it hard to get the game time required (with a big pre-WC season ahead of us);

He couldn't get into the England squad last season when playing week in, week out...

and throwing down an ultimatum to sign a contract or he'll be sold is hardly a way of showing a player they are valued.

That's football.

We'd crucify the Everton board if they let him get to January without signing.

Why should Everton pussyfoot around a player?

He just doesn't want Barkley and sees him as a player he can do without. And his fee will help him bring in players he does like.

Wouldn't have been offered a £100k+ contract if this was the case with constant comments about wanting him to stay.

Again Dave, Koeman's quotes suggest otherwise.

The second part of that sentence, yes, I agree with you.

And ultimately I think Koeman would be proved right.
Day one he was on Barkley's case. Public dressing downs.

He knew what he was doing: undermine the lad and get him shifted for the summer.

Devastated here as really wanted him to stay. I am now resigned to the high probability that he wont.

That doesnt mean that we have to sell cheaply to our competition though. If a suitable offer doesnt come in from Spuds or someone else then we dont sell. Simple as. RK will just have to backtrack and say nobody matched our value. No disgrace in that.

We were prepared to keep Lukaku another year which could have knocked £30m off his pricd tag. Wheres the difference in knocking back a £25m bid from Spuds.

He has 12 months left. He can either knuckle down and be a part of this Everton revolution or he can play with the U23s. His call. Again.

But the club needs to take a strong stance here and as much as I love Ross as a player I'll stand fully behind the club if they do.

Yes, but you have to read between the lines. He's buying up players who can do Barkley's job and therefore making it even more the case that he'll find it hard to get the game time required (with a big pre-WC season ahead of us); and throwing down an ultimatum to sign a contract or he'll be sold is hardly a way of showing a player they are valued.

He just doesn't want Barkley and sees him as a player he can do without. And his fee will help him bring in players he does like.

Koeman is a very political manager.

I don't understand why improving squad depth and quality can be seen as a negative? We have 4 competitions this season, there will be plenty of playing time for him and others.

Not once has Koeman suggested he doesn't want Barkley here

I can see that point but, there's always got to be room for talented players?
Anyway, can't see us agreeing on much about Ross but, that's ok, it's only opinion.

You're wrong though haha!

Love the white text bit, cheeky ;)

Anyway I hope we can both agree that we want him to stay?

Possibly, the consensus is Barkley is mentally fragile and can't cope with Koeman's management style.

As I've said before, his captain had to reassure him at Wembley;

"Rosco, they're not booing you. They're booing him [Martinez]"

So, this;

Not disagreeing @toffeeblue9, but same could have been said for Lescott, Gosling etc - it didn't spare them.
He's mentally fragile but wants to uproot his life and move to London? This whole situation doesn't make sense. He wants champions league, fair enough, we are in europa and judging on the window so far should be making a genuine push for champions league for next season. So he's waited 4 years for champs league but cant wait 1 more with his boyhood club? The offer is too low, unlikely anyone else is offering him more. Lack of gametime/competition for places, unless he's going to move to a club outside champions league then he's going to find more competition for places elsewhere. He doesn't get on with koeman. Fine. But neither of them is going to be here forever, and wherever he goes who's to say he'll get on with the new manager or even if he does that manager will eventually get moved on. When you look at the situation logically it's completely illogical.

He's been molicoddled by bobby and now he's told he needs to run more, track back and produce more he's spitting his dummy out. I'm a massive fan of him and hope he stays but he needs to have a look at himself here. If of course any of this is true. Which none of us know which is half the frustration as we've just not heard from Ross.

I don't see how Lescott was in any way comparable

That was a hostile approach and Lescott acted up to get out.

Are Everton *that* bothered about Spurs' interest in Barkley? Is he putting in transfer requests? Are we vehemently protesting about unwanted interest in our player?

Gosling might be a little bit more along the same lines, but fans were only bothered about that one because the club cocked up and let him run his contract down. That isn't happening in this scenario

His contract dictates he doesn't need to.

For me, Barkley's decision is considerably more baffling than the two examples in Lescott and Gosling.

Lescott was walking into Man Citys team to compete for titles, had his salary more than doubled and he didn't even have to move house... He wasn't a blue, didn't owe Everton anything. A complete no-brainer.

Gosling - "Jog it off lad" physio aggravated his career threatening and EFC tried to be snide with holding off any contract with a non committal verbal agreement. Goslings team smile and wave because they have no choice. He went from complete financial uncertainty with his career being in serious concern to Newcastle offering a 5 year deal, signing on fee that paid off his mortgage and promise of football in his position.

If I was Lescott/Gosling - I leave Everton.
If I'm Barkley - I stay.

Koeman says he wants Barkley to stay and offers him a new contract - "yes, but you have to read between the lines. He doesn't REALLY like him."

Koeman says if he doesn't sign the deal he'll need to be sold - "OMG he's so blunt and harsh, you can't do that to a player. You have to tell them you want him to stay!"

Everton clearly wants Barkley to stay, Barkley clearly not sure. Honestly, I'm concerned for Ross for a number of reasons. I think he may be struggling with some things - the instagram delete and tattoo removal make me a bit worried for his wellbeing. If he really believes a sea change is best, then good luck to him. I like to think he would be best off at Everton, but that's not for me to judge.

As above, this is all speculative.

Some use it to fit their own agenda.

Shock. Horror.

It was needed last season, more so this season with Europa.

Koeman has repeatedly said Everton is the best place for Barkley to continue.

He couldn't get into the England squad last season when playing week in, week out...

That's football.

We'd crucify the Everton board if they let him get to January without signing.

Why should Everton pussyfoot around a player?

Wouldn't have been offered a £100k+ contract if this was the case with constant comments about wanting him to stay.
First off: if we're dealing in the non-speculative: where has this £100K+ pw figure been pulled from? That's social media generated as far as I can gather.

Second: Koeman handing out ultimatums on moving into final year of contracts is a bit rich when he wanted that space himself at S'ton.

Third: I dont dispute we need more players in for EL games, but Koeman and Barkley both know that Klaassen and Rooney being brought in will dramatically impact on his prospects. I'm not suggesting we stand still until he made his mind up, but it underlines the manager HAS made his mind up on it and there is no real negotiations. Koeman now has to wait until the final week of the window before Spurs make a reasonable bid and takes Barkley off his hands and then he can spend that cash. In other words: he's created an almighty mess for himself and the club.

I, like the majority of Evertonians, want Ross to remain at the club, not just because he's a local lad but also because he's a gifted footballer.
However, he's starting to really fall off the pedestal with fans who, for many, are seeing a strong Everton who may actually challenge for honours for the first time in their lives
Ross has chosen his time to 'protest' poorly - it's not like when Rooney left, we were awful then ..now we're excited about a possible new era, new players, new ground etc..Ross, if you don't want to be a part of it, most of us will shrug our shoulders and still look forward to the season

Koeman says he wants Barkley to stay and offers him a new contract - "yes, but you have to read between the lines. He doesn't REALLY like him."

Koeman says if he doesn't sign the deal he'll need to be sold - "OMG he's so blunt and harsh, you can't do that to a player. You have to tell them you want him to stay!"

Everton clearly wants Barkley to stay, Barkley clearly not sure. Honestly, I'm concerned for Ross for a number of reasons. I think he may be struggling with some things - the instagram delete and tattoo removal make me a bit worried for his wellbeing. If he really believes a sea change is best, then good luck to him. I like to think he would be best off at Everton, but that's not for me to judge.

He started (approached tatt removal 3+ years ago mate - an odd coincidence at the time meant I can testify to that in person ;)

Talks have been ongoing since Feb at least.

I trust Joyce, and Hunter, both of whom were adamant that discussions and contract negotiations have been ongoing for a while.

Koeman himself said way back in March/April that he had been offered a deal. @GrandOldTeam has just posted the quotes.
Nowhere in them quotes does it say Ross Barkley has been offered a contract it says the board are talking to his agent & Koeman offers an example if you offer a player a contract.

Plus the itk I previously mentioned said Koeman was not happy at all about Ross only being actually offered a contract 2 days before the arsenal game.

I have no real idea if any of this is true I
Am simply looking at it via a narrative that the club hasn't imposed upon me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back