Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Ross Barkley

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not saying it's not hypocritical.

But Barkley is a lifelong Evertonian, played a key part last year and improved overall as a player under Koeman.

He's put in the hard graft. Why doesn't he want the rewards? They're on offer to him...
As said, he cant stick this manager.

Some players can handle that sort of thing, others cant.

I really dont blame Barkley: play at a club where the manager doesn't believe in you; play at a club where the manager does...and can offer CL football and a probable ticket to the WC if he establishes himself.....

....and Rooney's return underlines to him that he can always come back another day for a swansong to square off all the Judas jibes!

He started (approached tatt removal 3+ years ago mate - an odd coincidence at the time meant I can testify to that in person ;)

Well that's a bit of a relief I guess. Still, with all this and the off-field stuff (getting sparked on a night and having the whole world see it) I hope he's doing okay.

Day one he was on Barkley's case. Public dressing downs.

He knew what he was doing: undermine the lad and get him shifted for the summer.
Since no one is coming for him, that's hardly a great strategy.

You can complain all you want about him being mishandled, mischaracterize public criticisms as dressing downs, and come up with every excuse in the book for him, but he's not that great.

I want him to stay and become the player he could be, but if he wasn't born a blue, no one would give a flip if he went and Sigurdsson came in, who is a much better player.

As said, he cant stick this manager.

Some players can handle that sort of thing, others cant.

I really dont blame Barkley: play at a club where the manager doesn't believe in you; play at a club where the manager does...and can offer CL football and a probable ticket to the WC if he establishes himself.....

....and Rooney's return underlines to him that he can always come back another day for a swansong to square off all the Judas jibes!
And what club is that going to be? No club that offers CL football is going to play Ross more than he played for Koeman.

Since no one is coming for him, that's hardly a great strategy.

You can complain all you want about him being mishandled, mischaracterize public criticisms as dressing downs, and come up with every excuse in the book for him, but he's not that great.

I want him to stay and become the player he could be, but if he wasn't born a blue, no one would give a flip if he went and Sigurdsson came in, who is a much better player.
It;s been Spurs since day one. Only Spurs. He'll leave for Spurs in the final week of the window.

I don't understand why improving squad depth and quality can be seen as a negative? We have 4 competitions this season, there will be plenty of playing time for him and others.

Not once has Koeman suggested he doesn't want Barkley here
It's not a negative, but it means something must give: Barkley has more pressure on him to leave with it.

First off: if we're dealing in the non-speculative: where has this £100K+ pw figure been pulled from? That's social media generated as far as I can gather.

Second: Koeman handing out ultimatums on moving into final year of contracts is a bit rich when he wanted that space himself at S'ton.

First point - 99% sure the salary will be at least £100K+ a week. Independent, Guardian, Telegraph and others have all reported this.
Second point - I agree. Though bit of an exception in that according to Koeman - Les Read/Southampton agreed the terms/non negotiables before he arrived. Les Read said he couldn't go into his last year, forced Koeman out the door to Everton. If they hadn't done that, I think Koeman would have stayed;

“My first option was to continue at Southampton, to do my last season of contract, but it was not possible,” said Koeman.

"Les Reed said to me that it was not possible to go through my last year of contract without knowing what would happen after. That made it more difficult"

Still, there's some contradictions there but we can't disagree with the crux of it - you can't allow a player to walk free at the end of a contract. If Barkley doesn't sign, he needs proactively selling this window.

Third: I dont dispute we need more players in for EL games, but Koeman and Barkley both know that Klaassen and Rooney being brought in will dramatically impact on his prospects. I'm not suggesting we stand still until he made his mind up, but it underlines the manager HAS made his mind up on it and there is no real negotiations. Koeman now has to wait until the final week of the window before Spurs make a reasonable bid and takes Barkley off his hands and then he can spend that cash. In other words: he's created an almighty mess for himself and the club.

If he goes elsewhere, to use your comment;

It;s been Spurs since day one. Only Spurs. He'll leave for Spurs in the final week of the window.

... his prospects are even less. Klaassen and Rooney or Alli, Eriksen and Son?!

Everton first.

If Barkley hasn't got the fight in him to compete at Everton, then good riddance.

His contract dictates he doesn't need to.

For me, Barkley's decision is considerably more baffling than the two examples in Lescott and Gosling.

Lescott was walking into Man Citys team to compete for titles, had his salary more than doubled and he didn't even have to move house... He wasn't a blue, didn't owe Everton anything. A complete no-brainer.

Gosling - "Jog it off lad" physio aggravated his career threatening and EFC tried to be snide with holding off any contract with a non committal verbal agreement. Goslings team smile and wave because they have no choice. He went from complete financial uncertainty with his career being in serious concern to Newcastle offering a 5 year deal, signing on fee that paid off his mortgage and promise of football in his position.

If I was Lescott/Gosling - I leave Everton.
If I'm Barkley - I stay.

Agree with all of that, except I still can't compare this to Lescott

Barkley's situation is certainly more baffling, but that's only based on the fact that whatever is going on has largely been kept behind closed doors

All we really know, if we are to take the club at face value, is that he has been offered a new contract, hasn't signed it and has indicated he wants to play Champions League football

He's lost his England place, came in for some criticism from his club manager at times last season and hasn't always been a favourite of the Goodison boo brigade

I'd understand him thinking a move might be best for him at the moment, it surprises me that he thinks he can move and get into the team at Spurs, but I guess you have to have faith in your own ability

Perhaps if the club didn't have the luxury of this extra financial clout nowadays, we might feel more aggrieved but I'd guess that the vast majority of blues will simply shrug and accept this as maybe being best for all concerned

Koeman says he wants Barkley to stay and offers him a new contract - "yes, but you have to read between the lines. He doesn't REALLY like him."

Koeman says if he doesn't sign the deal he'll need to be sold - "OMG he's so blunt and harsh, you can't do that to a player. You have to tell them you want him to stay!"

Everton clearly wants Barkley to stay, Barkley clearly not sure. Honestly, I'm concerned for Ross for a number of reasons. I think he may be struggling with some things - the instagram delete and tattoo removal make me a bit worried for his wellbeing. If he really believes a sea change is best, then good luck to him. I like to think he would be best off at Everton, but that's not for me to judge.

Oh, I think Koeman rates him. He knows there's a talent or would have wanted to keep him.

I don't think it's the same for Ross. Said time and time again, he loves Everton, he's a blue...but I get the feeling he just doesn't like Koeman.

Now, with his contract situation he's either got to stay or go. His agent will know who's interested and will have advised him to wait. Ross has made that decision.

Don't forget, take away the debate about him as a footballer and look at it personally from his perspective. Rooneys back, we've got money, new stadium, new era etc etc...yet it he still is leaving it open to leave.

That's just feels wrong.

Nowhere in them quotes does it say Ross Barkley has been offered a contract it says the board are talking to his agent & Koeman offers an example if you offer a player a contract.

Plus the itk I previously mentioned said Koeman was not happy at all about Ross only being actually offered a contract 2 days before the arsenal game.

I have no real idea if any of this is true I
Am simply looking at it via a narrative that the club hasn't imposed upon me.

I'm not saying the club's narrative is true. I'm also not blaming Ross entirely either.

End of the day, I want Ross to stay.

But if, for whatever reason, he does leave, as much as I'll be a bit gutted, I think we'll be okay. It won't be the end of the world.

I think that's Ross Barkley's problem to be honest.

As Koeman said in April, you don't offer contracts to players you don't want to stay.

He has a £100,000+ offer on the table, has for months and hasn't signed it.

He's getting off lightly from the fan base if you ask me - if he leaves, he's as worthy as "JUDAS!!!" fume as any other we've had.

Offer is there, at his club at the most exciting time the club have had in his life time and he's snubbed it.

Why?

Thats the big question I suppose, every answer is a quess.

It's not a negative, but it means something must give: Barkley has more pressure on him to leave with it.

Or it's an opportunity to play with one of the best footballers this city has ever produced who I'm sure he idolised for the short time Rooney was here and improve.

He has more competition for his place in the team sure, but if he's using this as an excuse to want out rather than knuckle down and work hard for the club he's supported all his life then that's a sad indictment on him tbh

Do you really think we have been waiting until this summer to talk to his agent about a new deal?

We're stupid sometimes, but we're not that stupid

Are we not ??

That is exactly what has happened, Koeman said all season the offer will come, meaning they had not offered it yet.

If it is about ambition, and Barkley cannot see the changes that are happening at the club, even though everybody else can, they he could sign a shorter contract extension.

I don't think it is about the club.
I think Barkley was used to being regarded as one of the big talents, being undroppable.
I think that RK was critical of him, dropped him , demanded more from him and wanted him to alter his game to suit a different formation and Barkley does not like the new situation.
I think the agent sees an opportunity to make money for Barkley and himself and this opportunity may never be as good again as Barkley still has a very high profile but over the last couple of seasons it has slipped. He is now out of the international scene and young players like Davies and others may soon pass him out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back