Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Ross Barkley

Status
Not open for further replies.
They report what each other state by and large (and they know only what the club desire to tell them), so there's no strength in numbers there. It might well be that figure, but we'll never know.

...yes, and that's the same Reed logic he's using on Barkley now. Pot, Kettle, black...

Again though, the key differential is Koeman agreed with Southampton to not discuss his contract that summer/with a year remaining.

If when Barkley signed his last deal, Everton agreed to no discussion to renewing it until contract expiry - then that would be different.

Yes, that's very true. But he'll at least be working in an environment he wants to be in and to play in a way he wants to....which is presumably what Pochettino has told him.

He'd be a fool - see what Pochettino said about Sissoko? Considerably more stern than anything Koeman said.[/QUOTE]

Or it's an opportunity to play with one of the best footballers this city has ever produced who I'm sure he idolised for the short time Rooney was here and improve.

He has more competition for his place in the team sure, but if he's using this as an excuse to want out rather than knuckle down and work hard for the club he's supported all his life then that's a sad indictment on him tbh
It's a mess. I think it's down to a bloody minded manager and a player who's frail, character-wise, to stand up to the atmosphere and crack on.

I've said before that Koeman attacks weak characters, and the Barkley situation underlines it.

I don't rate him that highly but would be a shame to let him go. He could also speak out about the situation if he's desperate to stay. Evertonians will always look out for their own and he can put some pressure on the club.

It's a mess. I think it's down to a bloody minded manager and a player who's frail, character-wise, to stand up to the atmosphere and crack on.

I've said before that Koeman attacks weak characters, and the Barkley situation underlines it.

Poch is more Martinez eh? Blows smoke up all his players arses. Barkley would love to work there.

Yoink;

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2016/nov/27/mauricio-pochettino-moussa-sissoko-tottenham
http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/...tino-row-worst-season-of-career-a7763071.html

^ A player he threw £30m at just months previous, calling him out very publicly as a fraud.

On the flip side, do you believe a "weak character" is going to help us come on as a football team?

First point - 99% sure the salary will be at least £100K+ a week. Independent, Guardian, Telegraph and others have all reported this.
Second point - I agree. Though bit of an exception in that according to Koeman - Les Read/Southampton agreed the terms/non negotiables before he arrived. Les Read said he couldn't go into his last year, forced Koeman out the door to Everton. If they hadn't done that, I think Koeman would have stayed;

“My first option was to continue at Southampton, to do my last season of contract, but it was not possible,” said Koeman.

"Les Reed said to me that it was not possible to go through my last year of contract without knowing what would happen after. That made it more difficult"

Still, there's some contradictions there but we can't disagree with the crux of it - you can't allow a player to walk free at the end of a contract. If Barkley doesn't sign, he needs proactively selling this window.

If he goes elsewhere, to use your comment;

... his prospects are even less. Klaassen and Rooney or Alli, Eriksen and Son?!

Everton first.

If Barkley hasn't got the fight in him to compete at Everton, then good riddance.

But would rather fight for a place at Spurs?

Again, rumours. But unless he ends up at Newcastle etc it would seem that he'd rather scrap for a place with them than with us

Agree but it's very sad & ultimately he is still one of our best players regardless of what The majority on here think.
It isnt the majority though mate. It just seems that way. Theres a lot more think like you anf I than there are Tels and Carlins.

What there has become a lot of is indifference which I put down Ross not signing the new contract. Similar to what we did with Rom. Makes the decision easier to accept in our own heads.

I actually believe, whatever they are saying at the moment, the vast majority will br celebrating in the unlikeky event Ross signs.

First off: if we're dealing in the non-speculative: where has this £100K+ pw figure been pulled from? That's social media generated as far as I can gather.

Second: Koeman handing out ultimatums on moving into final year of contracts is a bit rich when he wanted that space himself at S'ton.

Third: I dont dispute we need more players in for EL games, but Koeman and Barkley both know that Klaassen and Rooney being brought in will dramatically impact on his prospects. I'm not suggesting we stand still until he made his mind up, but it underlines the manager HAS made his mind up on it and there is no real negotiations. Koeman now has to wait until the final week of the window before Spurs make a reasonable bid and takes Barkley off his hands and then he can spend that cash. In other words: he's created an almighty mess for himself and the club.

So you're suggesting that Koeman building up a squad of players to have strength in depth and equip the club for European campaigns is bad management and a factor turning Ross away, but then going to Spurs where they already have that is an attractive outcome for him?

Irrespective of what you believe Koeman and Ross think of each other, your agenda constantly trips you up Dave.

I mean, at the end of the day it's worth remembering Dave is just trying to wind people up for a reaction again and regardless of what's going on with Ross, Everton will be fine.

Again though, the key differential is Koeman agreed with Southampton to not discuss his contract that summer/with a year remaining.

If when Barkley signed his last deal, Everton agreed to no discussion to renewing it until contract expiry - then that would be different.

He'd be a fool - see what Pochettino said about Sissoko? Considerably more stern than anything Koeman said.
That's a matter of who you choose to believe.

Reed for his part stated on many occasions that Koeman had agreed a five year plan at the end of last season to stay on at Southampton. Now that changed matters dramatically if that prior agreement really was there. You dont do that without committing to the club yourself.

The credible analysis on what happened there was that Koeman was determined to keep his options open...which is exactly what Barkley and his agent have done.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back