Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Ross Barkley

Status
Not open for further replies.
We offered him a deal in February, I believe.

Did his form post-Christmas warrant a new deal? No.

Ross could have easily signed. He hasn't.

That isn't down to the club. It's a very good contract on offer.

Agree to disagree, but offering him a deal in feb, when the likes of Rom and plenty of others where offered deals with more than 2 years left, is stupid.

Even form before Xmas, he is our most creative player and massive part of our squad. You keep those happy.

All that aside really....as a blue and all that, he should still sign that deal. We so far have no idea why he has not.

Are we not ??

That is exactly what has happened, Koeman said all season the offer will come, meaning they had not offered it yet.

There's official "offering" and there's talking to his agent about it.

I refuse to believe we've left discussing a new deal with Ross until 16 months before his current one ends

I would imagine, based on nothing other than faith that Moshiri and co aren't fools, that discussions have been going on far longer than this

There's official "offering" and there's talking to his agent about it.

I refuse to believe we've left discussing a new deal with Ross until 16 months before his current one ends

I would imagine, based on nothing other than faith that Moshiri and co aren't fools, that discussions have been going on far longer than this

Maybe timing of Moshiri taking over and other financials getting sorted, like the debt and other sponsor deals become more important last summer. So maybe thats why they did not offer him a deal last season.

We should have had him tied up to a new deal last summer, and not 1 of us know why.

I'm not saying the club's narrative is true. I'm also not blaming Ross entirely either.

End of the day, I want Ross to stay.

But if, for whatever reason, he does leave, as much as I'll be a bit gutted, I think we'll be okay. It won't be the end of the world.
Agree but it's very sad & ultimately he is still one of our best players regardless of what The majority on here think.

What matters is what Koeman thinks. He clearly does not see Ross as a star/core player. Hard to imagine Wenger or Pochettino seeing that differently. He's a good squad player in a top team. He has physical tools to be better but seemingly not the mental ones. I'd rather keep him but we'll miss Rom more than him.

Try and conjure up bullet points for Barkley wanting to leave. I have the below - anything I've missed?

Or...

• None of the above, because we don't know if he wants to leave in the first place.
Koeman has been happy enough spouting to the public about his contract before now - if he's 'rejected' it, he can come out and say so anytime he pleases; but he hasn't.

All we know right now is that Barkley and his agent rejected Koeman's public deadline to sign it. Everything else is nonsense at this time, yet people are stating things as fact.

It;s been Spurs since day one. Only Spurs. He'll leave for Spurs in the final week of the window.
Not.going.to.play.

If he wants to leave for Spurs and watch from the stands, that's great for him. Send us 35M and have at it. We'll sell Mcarthy for 20, Mori for 15, and go by VVD. Then we'll see who is in the CL next year.

Or...

• None of the above, because we don't know if he wants to leave in the first place.
Koeman has been happy enough spouting to the public about his contract before now - if he's 'rejected' it, he can come out and say so anytime he pleases; but he hasn't.

All we know right now is that Barkley and his agent rejected Koeman's public deadline to sign it. Everything else is nonsense at this time, yet people are stating things as fact.

*Everton's

He hasn't accepted Everton's contract offer, and deadline.

Debate/speculation then is inevitable as to why - I'm asking people to try and conjure up a list of reasons why...

Agree but it's very sad & ultimately he is still one of our best players regardless of what The majority on here think.
Whoa. The majority want him to stay. I would love to see him on the right closer to the goal and think he'd be better with better teammates and Rooney pushing him every day. It's certainly sad.

First point - 99% sure the salary will be at least £100K+ a week. Independent, Guardian, Telegraph and others have all reported this.

They report what each other state by and large (and they know only what the club desire to tell them), so there's no strength in numbers there. It might well be that figure, but we'll never know.

Second point - I agree. Though bit of an exception in that according to Koeman - Les Read/Southampton agreed the terms/non negotiables before he arrived. Les Read said he couldn't go into his last year, forced Koeman out the door to Everton. If they hadn't done that, I think Koeman would have stayed;
“My first option was to continue at Southampton, to do my last season of contract, but it was not possible,” said Koeman."Les Reed said to me that it was not possible to go through my last year of contract without knowing what would happen after. That made it more difficult"

Still, there's some contradictions there but we can't disagree with the crux of it - you can't allow a player to walk free at the end of a contract. If Barkley doesn't sign, he needs proactively selling this window.
...yes, and that's the same Reed logic he's using on Barkley now. Pot, Kettle, black...

If he goes elsewhere, to use your comment;

... his prospects are even less. Klaassen and Rooney or Alli, Eriksen and Son?!

Everton first.

If Barkley hasn't got the fight in him to compete at Everton, then good riddance.

Yes, that's very true. But he'll at least be working in an environment he wants to be in and to play in a way he wants to....which is presumably what Pochettino has told him.

Or...

This is very true.

He might genuinely just be injured.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back