Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Ross Barkley

Status
Not open for further replies.
According to squawka the stats website he is the second best player in the league after ozil

Not usually one to pay much attention to these kind of stats but on this occasion I'll make an exception and say he should be up for Young Player of the Year. This Dele Alli seems to be the media's darling right now though.

This is so right, it seems to be a label people are desperate to place on Barkley. Even other sets of fans seem to gravitate towards it.

Just lazy analysis from so called experts on the TV who are stealing a living.
Your bang on mate.
A lot of this comes from Roy and after that pre World Cup friendly.
Let's not forget the OX in that game lost the ball which they scored from, and lost the ball which caused him to get injured.
But Roy praised him to death

If he was picking an England team today, I'm sure he would have the OX in before Barkley, as well as Adam (I do 50 gruyff turns a game) Lallana

I read the other day the OX hasn't scored a goal or assisted a goal in 12 months for arsenal.
It's a good job he doesn't play for us

Your bang on mate.
Let's not forget the OX in that game lost the ball which they scored from, and lost the ball which caused him to get injured.

If he was picking an England team today, I'm sure he would have the OX in before Barkley, as well as Adam (I do 50 gruyff turns a game) Lallana

I read the other day the OX hasn't scored a goal or assisted a goal in 12 months for arsenal.

The less time Barkley spends with that man the better. Cringe so much when I see him jumping around on the touchline if Ross dares so much as to lose the ball once.

Not usually one to pay much attention to these kind of stats but on this occasion I'll make an exception and say he should be up for Young Player of the Year. This Dele Alli seems to be the media's darling right now though.

Couldn't agree more but he is becoming a better player by being less eye catching. Plus these stats are based on something like 44 parameters so it's not like he is just 2nd as he has Scored & assisted he is actually playing extremely well. Yes he needs to improve off the ball when we don't have it but that's he easy part

Couldn't agree more but he is becoming a better player by being less eye catching. Plus these stats are based on something like 44 parameters so it's not like he is just 2nd as he has Scored & assisted he is actually playing extremely well. Yes he needs to improve off the ball when we don't have it but that's he easy part

The off the ball thing really is easy if the work's put in, I think Martinez has been good for Barkley but his off the ball game hasn't developed as it should have.

For the size of him it's embarrassing how poor his heading ability is. That's something that should be worked on in the training ground, Rooney did a similar thing and it worked wonders for him.

He's also shown he can track back and tackle, it's just putting the graft in at Finch Farm to perfect it, unfortunately I don't think that's happening.

Ya agreed.sky all over him yesterday to.thought carragher was going to sing a love song about him.suppose if everton and spurs league positions were reversed it might be a case of dele who and ross with a love song from that other fella.

Your bang on mate.

Roy who?

The off the ball thing really is easy if the work's put in, I think Martinez has been good for Barkley but his off the ball game hasn't developed as it should have.

For the size of him it's embarrassing how poor his heading ability is. That's something that should be worked on in the training ground, Rooney did a similar thing and it worked wonders for him.

He's also shown he can track back and tackle, it's just putting the graft in at Finch Farm to perfect it, unfortunately I don't think that's happening.
You don't think there has been a marked improvement from him since last season? Has he just done this by himself?

You're spot on, he's not there yet, but Martinez is doing wonders with him imo.

His decision making now is so improved, he's starting to pick the ball up deeper and carry us.

Again, you're right, he needs to stay compact and protect the midfield, but that will come with age and maturity.

I like Ali and believe he's got an international future ahead of him (once Milner, Henderson and Hodgson are firmly in the bin). But Barkley is something else and has the quality that England have been missing for thirty years at top level.

You don't think there has been a marked improvement from him since last season? Has he just done this by himself?

You're spot on, he's not there yet, but Martinez is doing wonders with him imo.

His decision making now is so improved, he's starting to pick the ball up deeper and carry us.

Again, you're right, he needs to stay compact and protect the midfield, but that will come with age and maturity.

I think his attacking play develops naturally, credit to Martinez if he's responsible though.

Heading is absolutely atrocious though. Huge flaw in his game.

i was on Twitter last night having s discussion lol, after Jamie carragher had put Ali has over taken Ross. And some Everton fans agreed, don't get me wrong I think Ali is quality and will be a fantastic player. But I pointed out he played for a media darling club and would he be getting this much praise if he played for Everton?
And would Dier be in the England team if he played for us.
Coutinho is a great example of playing for a media darling club and like other people have mentioned he got in team of the year last season on the back of 3 good months.
Like Gomez who lfc signed from charlton, played a couple of good games and the press are trying to get him in the England squad. Yet Galloway was more impressive IMO but no talk of him for England.

I also pointed out that Ross has more goals and assists and a better pass rate than Ali this year. He's also top of the squawka rankings, ahead of Ozil and marhez. Has he been better than them 2 this year, not in my opinion but he must be doing something right.
His improvement in 12 months has been fantastic, and yes he still has a lot to learn but let's all keep the faith

Yep.

Media and pundits want stories. Alli scored yesterday, the minute you see that, you instantly gravitate towards the young lad and a very good goal and heap praise on him. He's also playing in a side in the top 4 (at the moment) and it serves a narrative. He's having a good 1st season.

But to be honest, I don't mind it.

Barkley just does what he does and because he's not scoring every week, or assisting every week, he'll just go under the radar.

But anyone with half a brain can just watch him in almost every game this season and see how much of a gifted creative midfielder England has.

Just look at that Southampton game. Alli hasn't done anything near that yet - completely dominate a game - but he's yesterday's news.

I like Ali and believe he's got an international future ahead of him (once Milner, Henderson and Hodgson are firmly in the bin). But Barkley is something else and has the quality that England have been missing for thirty years at top level.
Barkley is the future mate your right i actually see ali drifting away

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back