Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Ross Barkley

Status
Not open for further replies.
I honestly thought it wasn't one of his better games last night.

But

He always effects the way we go forward. Just because I don't think he was amazing last night doesn't mean I'd have subbed him. He's trying things none of our other players would try. Sometimes they'll come off, sometimes they won't.

Was dreading when he went down injured as our attack would be nowhere near as good without him

I honestly thought it wasn't one of his better games last night.

But

He always effects the way we go forward. Just because I don't think he was amazing last night doesn't mean I'd have subbed him. He's trying things none of our other players would try. Sometimes they'll come off, sometimes they won't.

Was dreading when he went down injured as our attack would be nowhere near as good without him

Think in addition we don't realise why exactly we have space out wide so often in games, the opposition absolutely brick themselves when he has it centrally and congest around him leaving the wingers at worst 1 on 1

I think the biggest improvement in Ross's game has been working on his weaknesses actually.

He has always been a player that could destroy a team if it was his day but be a liability if he had an off day. He has essentially eradicated the second part of that equation. If he doesn't affect the game as much offensively as he'd like he is now no longer a liability. He tackles, he keeps the ball well, he receives possession in tight/congested areas and is a far more responsible player.

I can see he has learnt a lot presumably from Osman in the positions he takes up and the ability to keep hold of the ball and "recycle" it. Last night (as with Spurs) was not his night. He wasn't at his barnstorming best but he still contributed in both teams to a good team performance. That is a big improvement for Ross and I am delighted with it.

You also have to factor in, in the last two games he's been up against some serous opposition. Was he any inferior last night to Toure? Or to Silva? Or the previous game to Eric Dier, and despite the waxing lyrical, the goal aside any majorly different to Alli. These are all considered world class players or world class prospects and Ross looks equally as good as all of them and holds his own well.

Think in addition we don't realise why exactly we have space out wide so often in games, the opposition absolutely brick themselves when he has it centrally and congest around him leaving the wingers at worst 1 on 1

Same goes for deulofeu on the right. Once we sort the left side out with similar quality then all three will have more room as you cant double mark them all.

Thought he was poor last night for his standards so far this season, as he has been brilliant! Does annoy me how he doesn't challenge for a header though.

I'm becoming bored of this 'decision-making' mantra from some people. Did he not make the correct decision to hit a rasping shot that the goalkeeper could only parry straight to Funes Mori for the first goal or even to play a simple pass to Barry who was in a better position for the second?
What needs to be appreciated is that due to his strength, pace and skill he usually has more decisions to make in a game and often there are no options available. For instance last night when he brushed Otamendi aside and went to the byline the only player in the box was Rom who was surrounded by defenders forcing him to try a shot.

Feel like I watched a different game to some last night, I thought he was top class. You can see that his understanding of the game has improved massively. He is taking risks and playing his football in the right areas of the pitch, and looking after the ball at the right times

Before this season I would say he has been outstanding when on his game, but poor when it wasn't his day. This season I think he has been consistently putting in 7/10 performances with the odd moment of brilliance thrown in there for good measure, which is a real step forward in his development

I'm becoming bored of this 'decision-making' mantra from some people. Did he not make the correct decision to hit a rasping shot that the goalkeeper could only parry straight to Funes Mori for the first goal or even to play a simple pass to Barry who was in a better position for the second?
What needs to be appreciated is that due to his strength, pace and skill he usually has more decisions to make in a game and often there are no options available. For instance last night when he brushed Otamendi aside and went to the byline the only player in the box was Rom who was surrounded by defenders forcing him to try a shot.
But but they said it on Sky....wish people would watch the game for themselves

Feel like I watched a different game to some last night, I thought he was top class. You can see that his understanding of the game has improved massively. He is taking risks and playing his football in the right areas of the pitch, and looking after the ball at the right times

Before this season I would say he has been outstanding when on his game, but poor when it wasn't his day. This season I think he has been consistently putting in 7/10 performances with the odd moment of brilliance thrown in there for good measure, which is a real step forward in his development

Even the Daily Fail agreed
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/fo...handle-Eliaquim-Mangala-Nicolas-Otamendi.html

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back