Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Ross Barkley

Status
Not open for further replies.
For mine thought he had a very good game, showed some nous in and around the box, played in Kev twice with nice little balls that didn't quite come off, Rom in once too, then had the maturity to spread it wide for the second goal instead of trying the too hard pass or taking it on himself.
Had Matic and Mikel on the run all afternoon.

He was the Starman for Brian Glanville in The Sunday Times....
http://www.thesundaytimes.co.uk/sto/sport/football/Premiership/article1657203.ece

"For the watching England manager, Roy Hodgson, it must have been interesting to see Everton’s young, dynamic midfielder Ross Barkley, surprisingly substituted late on, in such exuberant form. Hodgson has said on various occasions that Barkley’s propensity to burst forward can sometimes result in a breakdown in attack and a consequent peril. On this performance surely Barkley’s pluses vastly outnumber any arguable negatives.......
But why, one asked, did he substitute the propulsive Barkley? He replied he had a squad of 19 capable players: but on this occasion, none surely were more capable than Barkley"

Hes undoubtedly right about the drive that Ross gives us, especially on the bursting, box to box runs. Realists that we are, of course, we also acknowledge his flaws in decision making (which will hopefully be ironed out with age) and for me more markedly, his careless short range passing. Giving the ball away cheaply dilutes his contribution frequently but I agree that with Besic and McCarthy around him in the future, Ross can become the all round class act we know he potentially is at the moment.

Hi did do some really good stuff yesterday, trouble is some of his passing was also a bit dim, when he gets that right, thats when we will see what he is really capable of

please do not insult my opinion randomly -
you are entitled to yours but please:
tell us where Barkley's distribution was great or where he created anything for Lukaku -
Deulefeu is in my opinion a much better ball player than Barkley -
take away Barkley's free kicks and corners and see how little he creates from open play -
Deulefeu does that much better - ask Lukaku - therefore in my opinion he would do better behind the striker than Barkley

He keeps the ball mate. He can receive the ball in virtually any situation and hold on to it because his touch and strength are immense. He can also turn his marker in the blink of any eye and be in on their defence. Del is relatively weak on the ball and gives it away a great amount. He is nowhere near as consistent on the ball as Ross is. He is much better lining up a full back and whipping in crosses. If Barkley played a perfect pass every time he gets into a good position he would be creating 6 or 7 clear chances a game. Not even Messi does that. We need to be realistic. Playing defence splitting passes is very easy from the stands but is one of the hardest skills in the game.

For the most part I thought he had a relatively poor game yesterday. Yes he had a few moments of brilliance but his overall play was a bit sloppy and he didn't work hard enough defensively again. He looked a bit tired to me and I wasn't at all surprised when he was hooked.

He keeps the ball mate. He can receive the ball in virtually any situation and hold on to it because his touch and strength are immense. He can also turn his marker in the blink of any eye and be in on their defence. Del is relatively weak on the ball and gives it away a great amount. He is nowhere near as consistent on the ball as Ross is. He is much better lining up a full back and whipping in crosses. If Barkley played a perfect pass every time he gets into a good position he would be creating 6 or 7 clear chances a game. Not even Messi does that. We need to be realistic. Playing defence splitting passes is very easy from the stands but is one of the hardest skills in the game.

Spot on, and these "flaws" peopel talk of.....22 year old players dont have flaws, they are just not fully developed yet......and if this is what we get from a player not fully developed, ten god help the rest of the league.

99% of players would kill to be as good as Ross is now, at their peak.

please do not insult my opinion randomly -
you are entitled to yours but please:
tell us where Barkley's distribution was great or where he created anything for Lukaku -
Deulefeu is in my opinion a much better ball player than Barkley -
take away Barkley's free kicks and corners and see how little he creates from open play -
Deulefeu does that much better - ask Lukaku - therefore in my opinion he would do better behind the striker than Barkley

Deulofeu has never played in the centre ever.

No actual football manager has played him in the middle ever.

Wow some people on here do not have a clue how on this earth was he poor yesterday? Mikel was absolutely petrified of Barkley yesterday he couldn't handle him, once he turns in/on the half he's not getting stopped, some of the little slipped passes he did get right no one mentions ( the one mirallas cooly chipped in but was offside ) was brill but he was offside ( not Ross's fault ) absolute crab heads leave rossy alone and finger yourselves

Fantastic post this. If Barkley somehow
Ever manages to execute the final
Balls he is currently struggling with the he will be creating 20+ goals a season. He also isn't easily man marked certainly deeper anyway as his strength & burst of pace makes it very dangerous to get too tight

For the most part I thought he had a relatively poor game yesterday. Yes he had a few moments of brilliance but his overall play was a bit sloppy and he didn't work hard enough defensively again. He looked a bit tired to me and I wasn't at all surprised when he was hooked.

Agreed mate, thought he looked well off the pace 2nd half yesterday and it was a good time to sub him. He's played a lot of togger so understandable he will have moments like that.

Would still like him to close down with a bit more intent though, I think with his build he would get possession turned over much quicker to us if he did more often as he would make the opposition rush due to his frame.

Deulofeu has never played in the centre ever.

No actual football manager has played him in the middle ever.

I disagree with replacing Barkley with him in the middle however I think you will find an interview with graham hunter the sky Spanish football correspondent who talked about his Barcelona youth coaches believing he may end up in the middle as he has excellent vision & execution when slipping through balls to forwards. It is something that at some point we may try he just need to continue getting stronger definitely bulked up.

I disagree with replacing Barkley with him in the middle however I think you will find an interview with graham hunter the sky Spanish football correspondent who talked about his Barcelona youth coaches believing he may end up in the middle as he has excellent vision & execution when slipping through balls to forwards. It is something that at some point we may try he just need to continue getting stronger definitely bulked up.

He may well end up there. But playing him there yesterday against Chelsea seems a bit insane to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back