Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Ross Barkley

Status
Not open for further replies.
for the first hour he was terrible, wandering around aimlessly, no energy to close down, track back and do the job midfielders are meant to do ... great last 30 minutes.

He needs to work on his fitness.

I'd like to see Barry and McCarthy bollocking him more! They should be screaming at him to run forward and do what he does best, but they just seem to leave him to do his own thing? maybe he doesn't respond well to others shouting at him, I don't know, but I would like to see the others geeing him up more!

Quick thinking and quick feet for Naisy's third. Brilliant to see.

It seems to me that he's the key component to how effective we are on the break. When he's motoring at a retreating defence, we're in business.
That was a very noticeable thing yesterday, how quick we are at breaking out from defence. Chelsea were slow all over the park apart from Kenedy. Our pace will cause a lot of trouble to sides this season.

Barkley is at his best on the break. He's not going to unlock a packed defence, but he has the ability to slip in little passes like he did for Naisy's third when he's given a bit of space in the No.10 position.

Really strong start to the season - his decision-making has improved a lot as well. So far, so good - and the rest in the summer has obviously done wonders.

Also, a word for Barry yesterday. He was superb.

you sure you where watching the same game mate?

yes I was at the match and heard a lot of people groaning, shouting at him trying to gee him up, he was lethargic for the first hour.

I'll try and watch the match on the telly and see if that shows anything different to what I saw.

Don't get me wrong, like every Evertonian I think that Ross is the Dog's doodaa's and hope that he fulfills his vast potential .. even if only by 50%.

Last edited:
thanks, I stand corrected .. what's the deal ? was he pacing himself ?
If fitness plays any part, it's that Barkley's was superior to the Chelsea defence.

I saw a great 90 minute performance from him yesterday, you saw something else. I'm afraid you'll need to find your own answers as to why he looked like he came to life at the 60 minute mark.

He actually looks far fitter this season... Think he's played 90 minutes every game or nearly every game? Last season if he started it was guaranteed he would be subbed at 60ish minute. Stamina has definitely improved.

As for some saying he looks lethargic.. he's in the number 10 role and clearly has been told defensive duties are not his territory. He still does okay In this regard for me. Shuffles back and loosely fills spaces and tracks his man. Doesn't do this with the same urgency or strength he attacks with which I think is why people groan and think he could do better at it...

When we're playing McCarthy and Barry though I think the onus should definitely be on them for defensive duties and not so much Barkley. If however he dropped back and played the deeper role.. I'd like to see him show more physicality and determination to win the ball back.. a la Yaya Toure.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back