Ross Barkley

Status
Not open for further replies.
What kind of message do people think all this stick they give to Ross, sends to our other young players coming through ???

Don't mess up or we will hound you!!

He showed what role he has to have in the team to fulfil his potential now though IMO.

Get him in a central three, with Gueye sweeping behind and a box to box player next to him (Schneiderlin would be boss, or an in-form McCarthy) and let him have the space he now needs.

It's very easy to go missing in a No.10 role when you've got 2-3 defenders on you every time, but that can't happen in a 4-3-3/4-1-4-1

this 100%

so much unwarranted criticism from fans, but he is always played out of position. wouldn't even mind him playing a little deeper when we sign a true no.10

Probably for his career the 1st season when he really broke out under Martinez might have hindered him a bit and placed undue expectations on him. Go back to that season and it was almost like everything he did found his way into the back of the net (there was even that one free goal in which he said he never even practiced free kicks before) and he was immediately annointed the best England player of his generation who was just going to get better and better when he was probably never that. You see a little bit of that with Dele Ali this year.

I think he's doing OK though, and maybe getting a bit of unfair stick. He's working hard though, and for the most part Barkley has always played well when the rest of the squad is playing well.

How dare he be 23, how very dare he!!!

I want our young lads to be able to express themselves, make mistakes and learn from them with the view that from 26-32 they will be as complete as they can be.

I wont criticise any young players really, older and supposed complete players at their peak is a different matter.

Rather than just blurting out things when a player may or may not be playing well, I would rather look at why they do it, but I would rather look at what they can do very well.

23 is very young for any player, but even younger for a central midfielder where you need the most intelligence and in game "know how". and that comes with time and patience.

People aren't expecting him to be the finished article at 23, but it's not an excuse to be making the mistakes he does regularly. He's been playing at this level for 3 or 4 years now.

I can forgive some of the mistakes as well. It's when he shirks challenges and just strolls round half arsed. I also think to get to the top as a player you need to have a strong mentality, which he has shown at times, but not nearly enough.

Barkley is a great talent, and has certain attributes that most players in the Premier League simply don't possess, but at 23, I want to see more consistency from him and more effort in every game. He did that on Tuesday and I hope it continues along with the rest of them on Monday and beyond that.

Like Winks and Sissoko do?

IF he was to reach potential, he needs to be playing for a side at the top of the table.

The example of him having similar stats of Lampard and Gerrard etc at his age only really improve if he players with better players at a higher level like they did

He wouldn't get a sniff at any top 4 club, There's a reason he's been in and out of a very poor Everton side

People aren't expecting him to be the finished article at 23, but it's not an excuse to be making the mistakes he does regularly. He's been playing at this level for 3 or 4 years now.

I can forgive some of the mistakes as well. It's when he shirks challenges and just strolls round half arsed. I also think to get to the top as a player you need to have a strong mentality, which he has shown at times, but not nearly enough.

Barkley is a great talent, and has certain attributes that most players in the Premier League simply don't possess, but at 23, I want to see more consistency from him and more effort in every game. He did that on Tuesday and I hope it continues along with the rest of them on Monday and beyond that.

Yes they are, and you have just proved that by contradicting yourself in that first paragraph mate, by people going mad at his mistakes now and not allowing him to do them, are by definition expecting a complete player at 23, seems like you are also. 3 or 4 season is not a long time as a central midfielder.

The "strolls round half arsed" well he was actually instructed to not track back for 3 years....that's almost his entire career in our first team, so now he is having to change. He was also played out of position this entire time.

And I don't think he has been even half as inconsistent as is being made out. He has had 2 poor games. Which is allowed.

...appears Koeman might be ready to let Barkley go;

http://www.express.co.uk/sport/foot...verton-Tottenham-January-transfer-news-gossip

I have no issue with this if true regardless of whether I rate Barkley or not just as I have no particular view on who should come in. We have trodden water for a long time, we need change. The manager needs to bring in who he wants and play the way he wants, if that isn't progress then we get somebody else in.

Their source is the s*n.

Yes they are, and you have just proved that by contradicting yourself in that first paragraph mate, by people going mad at his mistakes now and not allowing him to do them, are by definition expecting a complete player at 23, seems like you are also. 3 or 4 season is not a long time as a central midfielder.

The "strolls round half arsed" well he was actually instructed to not track back for 3 years....that's almost his entire career in our first team, so now he is having to change. He was also played out of position this entire time.

And I don't think he has been even half as inconsistent as is being made out. He has had 2 poor games. Which is allowed.

Well let me clarify then.... Those of us who want Barkley to succeed, and are actually supportive of our players. We have 2 types of fan and loads of them plague this forum. The ones who only post negatively all the time probably expect him to be perfect. There is then a vast majority who fall in to the second category who want the players to succeed and have different expectations from him.

I disagree that i've contradicted myself though. You said you "won't criticise young players" and I think that's the wrong mentality to have. It's also why he regressed as a player after 10 good games at the start of last season because that attitude from Martinez indulged him, and allowed him to be lazy and not put in 100% effort. When playing poorly he could have tried harder off the ball. But a combination of not wanting to, and Martinez telling him it was OK, has hindered his development and allowed the fans to get on his back.

Saying he has only had 2 poor games is ridiculous as well, he's had loads. And your comment about being instructed to not track back for 3 years as if that's acceptable, and the fact that he never openly challenged that ridiculous flaw in managerial judgement from Martinez is why he is not at the level a lot were expecting him to be at this stage in his career.

Again though, he has a lot of top class attributes to his game, and they are a huge positive to the team. Some of his touches and play on the ball on Tuesday were top class.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back