Running

Big day on Sunday for me, Moray Marathon in Elgin Scotland. I gave London a miss this year in favour of supporting this local marathon which has been restarted by some running friends. I’ve got over most of the “ maranoia” and am now stuffing myself with carbs. Thankfully I’ll be finished by the time Everton kick off , so no distractions!

Good luck

A friend has challenged me to get in 5k shape by next summer. Coincidences with nabbing tickets to the Pre Classic* which is on a world tour circuit next year. Will need some accountability for this, I expect it to be a struggle.

*dont have these yet

Big day on Sunday for me, Moray Marathon in Elgin Scotland. I gave London a miss this year in favour of supporting this local marathon which has been restarted by some running friends. I’ve got over most of the “ maranoia” and am now stuffing myself with carbs. Thankfully I’ll be finished by the time Everton kick off , so no distractions!

Good luck for tomorrow mate, looks like the weathers going to be okay, which is a big plus ;)

Best of luck. By all accounts weather looks ideal South for London marathon, hope you get it too.

Good luck for Sunday blueloon.
I've never done a marathon before. I keep thinking about it then nerves about not finishing kick in.
Do you have a time your aiming to finish in or is it more about enjoying the day and getting over the line?
Watch the London tomorrow on TV, hopefully for some inspiration. Although these days its quite difficult to get in and expensive.
Went down last year to watch the missus, I was more shattered after than she was. I'd rather run than support it.
Have no regrets, you'll be fine with the training

Good luck for Sunday blueloon.
I've never done a marathon before. I keep thinking about it then nerves about not finishing kick in.
Do you have a time your aiming to finish in or is it more about enjoying the day and getting over the line?

For me it's just the stress of training for it, sticking to a schedule etc. I reckon I'd do pretty well as I can do half in 1hr30ish and I did very little 'training' for that, although I tend to run 10k-15k on my weekly runs, bur i think I'd have to take ot more seriously with a marathon and im not sure if i would lose the fun aspect or not

Plus I prefer running trail loads more and I think I'd get bored with more road

For me it's just the stress of training for it, sticking to a schedule etc. I reckon I'd do pretty well as I can do half in 1hr30ish and I did very little 'training' for that, although I tend to run 10k-15k on my weekly runs, bur i think I'd have to take ot more seriously with a marathon and im not sure if i would lose the fun aspect or not

The training takes over your life and you need to have the free time towards the last month of training , to go out for three hours on your long runs.

You put stuff of socially and end up not drinking at events, because you have to train the folk day.

It’s a big commitment, especially if you have young kids.

Having done both marathon and ultra distances, I now stick to shorter races for all those reasons above.

If you can do a half marathon in 1 hour 30 with no training that is absolutely amazing running. With training you could probably do a marathon in 3 hours and also qualifies you for good for age categories

If you can do a half marathon in 1 hour 30 with no training that is absolutely amazing running. With training you could probably do a marathon in 3 hours and also qualifies you for good for age categories

yeah, i'm a bit weird with running really as i'm not competitive at all and i keep doing really well in races. my mates in running clubs big me up and i don't really like it but in my recent races i'm come 19/700, 66/2000, 12/170 and somewhere pretty decent in the great eastern run, top 200ish i think. i'm amazed every time tbh, i'm 35 and only properly started running 5 years go or so, i wish i started earlier.

My dad was a good runner, he took it very seriously until he had to stop because of injuries and you can tell he is amazed how well I do considering I just go out and run

i just try and run 40km a week over 3 runs on my lunch breaks, two trail and one road. thats it really

Last edited:
The training takes over your life and you need to have the free time towards the last month of training , to go out for three hours on your long runs.

You put stuff of socially and end up not drinking at events, because you have to train the folk day.

It’s a big commitment, especially if you have young kids.

Having done both marathon and ultra distances, I now stick to shorter races for all those reasons above.
way way too much stress there for me tbh

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back