Running

That`s a good time for your first race of this distance mate.

Possibly you`ve jarred your knee and you`ve done the right thing by going to see a physio, as they`re the best people to give you a proper diagnosis / treatment.
Well... I'd been limiting my running due to a combination of a dodgy ankle and asthma. I am now eligible to play for LFC/Jurgen Klopp as my inhaler prescription changed and my breathing and stamina is bang on. I was properly struggling after two miles and limping around to the 5k mark. Tight chest, wheezing. Absolutely sorted.

Gonna Gegenpress like made and build up to the 10k mark.
how’s everyone’s running getting on?

Anyone had an experience with a cam impingement of the hip?

I’ve barely been able to run since Jan. Had an issue with my hip, and while I saw out the canicross series and hockey season, since end of March, I’ve only done 3/4 little testers/easy parkruns.

Sports injury guy suggested hip tendonitis in Jan, but nothing he suggested helped. Finally saw a physio from nhs on wed, and she thinks it’s skeletal rather than muscular and was talking surgery 😫
I wasn't going to actually say anything, but this last page alone prompted me to with the injuries mentioned.. :lol:

I remember talking to my doctor years a go as he was a marathon runner (tiny fella). He said if you are over about 5 foot 8 or weigh more than 11-12 stone then you shouldn't run. He said this to me because I'm 6 foot 6..

It puts too much compression and stress on your cartilage and body etc etc. Whether he's right or wrong I don't know. But it kind of makes sense!

He said anyone over that weight/height should really cycle/swim/row instead.. Funny what you remember people saying..

I wasn't going to actually say anything, but this last page alone prompted me to with the injuries mentioned.. :lol:

I remember talking to my doctor years a go as he was a marathon runner (tiny fella). He said if you are over about 5 foot 8 or weigh more than 11-12 stone then you shouldn't run. He said this to me because I'm 6 foot 6..

It puts too much compression and stress on your cartilage and body etc etc. Whether he's right or wrong I don't know. But it kind of makes sense!

He said anyone over that weight/height should really cycle/swim/row instead.. Funny what you remember people saying..
I'm not entirely sure that's born out by the science anymore.

In my humble opinion, from running many many trail races, I`d say that larger runners are fine, as long as they run at a pace which is comfortable and proportionate for their size, which usually means a gentle steady plod.

There`s also a lot of studies, which says that running / jogging, is actually beneficial to bone density etc, especially as you get older.

There`s a massive forum just for heavier runners called " The Slow A/F Running Forum "

The lad who started it, did so after he was told that he`d kill himself if he attempted to do a marathon by his GP - he`s 18/19 stone.

He`s now done 8 marathons and pretty much has become the running guru for heavier / slower runners.

In my humble opinion, from running many many trail races, I`d say that larger runners are fine, as long as they run at a pace which is comfortable and proportionate for their size, which usually means a gentle steady plod.

There`s also a lot of studies, which says that running / jogging, is actually beneficial to bone density etc, especially as you get older.

There`s a massive forum just for heavier runners called " The Slow A/F Running Forum "

The lad who started it, did so after he was told that he`d kill himself if he attempted to do a marathon by his GP - he`s 18/19 stone.

He`s now done 8 marathons and pretty much has become the running guru for heavier / slower runners.
Love that name!! :lol:

As I mentioned. That's just what he said to me! Obviously technology and science moves on and maybe his concerns back then were proven not accurate.. ;)

It may not all be doom and gloom mate.

I`ve had real problems with my left foot over the years and had some really gloomy diagnosis, which turned out to be nothing more than a hammer toe, which just required managing, rather than anything drastic.

The problem that I found, is that every different person you saw, had a slightly different view and you can end up bogged down.

As much as I hate to say this, it may be worth going private, as it`ll massively speed things up ( I appreciate how expensive it is ! )
I have a second opinion appt in 2 weeks (with someone else in the same team mind). However, this next appt is with someone who can refer for an xray (whereas on Wednesday she isn’t able to). So hoping the xray will confirm it or not. If the x ray is going to take ages, I do have a health plan at work which would cover scans/diagnostics. I just prefer to use the nhs in the first instance.

Just wondered if anyone had had cam impingement? As it seems like it’s something that I couldn’t have prevented as it’s a bone issue rather than repetitive/overuse injury.

Very happy to have run 10k for the second Sunday in a row. It's a good ten years since I was comfortably doing this distance, so we'll happy. Properly managed asthma helps. I'm slow as you like, but a decade and 2+ extra stone does that to a man. Nowhere near the sub 45 I used to do this distance in. Still, take the victories.

As the old saying goes mate, a slow mile is just as long as a fast mile.

As I`ve got older, I`ve learnt to embrace running slower and enjoy it, but in a different way to the younger, speedy days.

I I want stop and have a walk, take a photo, have a drink etc, I`ll do it now with no worries about how it`s affecting my times, as now that I`m older, they don`t matter as much.

It`s like the trail races I do, I no longer look at where I came in the pack, I now look at where I finished in my age group :lol:

I did a1/2 m yesterday in the confines of an old RAF airfield, hot , windy but I really enjoyed it. My running went all to pot two months ago when they tried a new BP med, it worked really well but made me fatigued , dizzy once on a run , no energy at all etc so I dropped it two weeks today. I wasn’t sure how the 1/2 would go , turned out better than I expected in 2hrs. 0 .12 secs , 5 minutes slower than what I thought when I entered, but 5 minutes faster than I thought on Friday! No older age classes but was 3rd M60 .

As the old saying goes mate, a slow mile is just as long as a fast mile.

As I`ve got older, I`ve learnt to embrace running slower and enjoy it, but in a different way to the younger, speedy days.

I I want stop and have a walk, take a photo, have a drink etc, I`ll do it now with no worries about how it`s affecting my times, as now that I`m older, they don`t matter as much.

It`s like the trail races I do, I no longer look at where I came in the pack, I now look at where I finished in my age group :lol:
Yeah, it's meditative. Blows away the cob webs. Quite like that length run on a Sunday morning. Can just chill the rest of the day.

I’m 3 weeks into a program on Runna to get back to running 5k (which I’ve only ever done a couple of times). App is a godsend tbf; first time in my life I can ever say I’m enjoying running.

Appreciate I’m nowhere near the calibre of you studs in here, but I figure piping up might help me with accountability once the runs start to get harder.

I’m 3 weeks into a program on Runna to get back to running 5k (which I’ve only ever done a couple of times). App is a godsend tbf; first time in my life I can ever say I’m enjoying running.

Appreciate I’m nowhere near the calibre of you studs in here, but I figure piping up might help me with accountability once the runs start to get harder.
Good luck and how long is the program?

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back