Sam Allardyce

So, what next?

• IN. Give him a chance and see what he can do?

Votes: 79 8.3%
  • OUT. Thanks but no thanks. See Ya?

Votes: 758 79.3%
  • As ever. Cheese on Toast

Votes: 25 2.6%
  • Er, I am a bit scared of us Evertoning this right up.

Votes: 94 9.8%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think the main problem was that he was a hopeless coach who picked the side the fans wanted, rather than one that made any sense.
He relied on the youngsters too much I agree but he seemed to pick players who were listening in training. Its all conjecture and we don't know how he would have done with backing. We're stuck with BFS until seasons end now. Can't wait for the torture to be over

Coleman has only just came back and Allardyce signed the other two...

Did he? I thought Steve Walsh signed the players? Or is that only when they're bad?

Case being that Koeman badly lacked a focal-point striker and any pace out wide. He was fighting a losing battle setting up any team with the players he had.

Allardyce has had those two things and I don't feel has even improved us from when Koeman was in charge. The stats certainly don't point to a marked improvement.

(Extra point on Tosun is that it was Walsh and Moshiri who signed off on him after watching Bestiktas play Monaco in the UCL.)

i
Allardyce has been superior to Koeman this season. What your figures don't show are that Koeman has games against Ruzomberok x 2, Split x 2 and Sunderland in the Cup boosting his numbers. Those games against awful opposition distorts it to looks like Koeman wasn't that bad when he was an absolute disgrace this season.

Nope, the figures show that they have both been poor. Only difference now is that we are poor but playing the most awful boring negative football in decades. To say Allardyce is superior is ignoring the factual evidence. To show and analyse form, you have to go back through an equal amount of their most recent games regardless of the opposition. You cannot pick and choose games or the outcome will not be a fair and accurate account. You mentioned some games but then conveniently forgot to mention the Europa league games that we lost and drew in the group stage. Them losses and draw are also in the figures i posted. You cannot cherry pick results. It would balance out if they were all removed but would not be a fair and accurate account.

The form is accurately reflected by all games running consecutively, not by picking and choosing which games. If we were to ignore the competition games and just go on premiership games, it would very likely end up with Koeman doing better in the figures, not worse going back to an equal amount of games for comparison etc.

It is what it is. Allardyce has done a tiny bit better but nowhere near enough to credit him with being 'superior' or saving us from relegation and the downside of that tiny bit better is turning us into the most boring negative and just awful to watch team in the league. They have both done poorly non the less.

Did he? I thought Steve Walsh signed the players? Or is that only when they're bad?

Case being that Koeman badly lacked a focal-point striker and any pace out wide. He was fighting a losing battle setting up any team with the players he had.

Allardyce has had those two things and I don't feel has even improved us from when Koeman was in charge. The stats certainly don't point to a marked improvement.

(Extra point on Tosun is that it was Walsh and Moshiri who signed off on him after watching Bestiktas play Monaco in the UCL.)

Koeman had a striker, he ostracized him until he had to play him.

If Koeman didn't get a striker then he should have enough about him to adapt his team accordingly instead of playing to his planned formation without the striker. That is just common sense.

Not sure why you are telling me about a lack of improvement etc? I didn't mention that? They are both rubbish and both are cut from the same cloth management wise.

You mean just like it is now ????
The difference being that having an isolated striker would have been a failure on Koemans part as a result of poor planning and recruitment , with Allardyce he regards it as a success since that is how every team he has managed sets up including us currently.

Sam hasn't won a single game we wern't expected to win and we are only 9th because the reason of the teams in the league are terrible

But Koeman was in the league with the same teams and had us 18th? He also ruined our European Campaign with pathetic results against Atalanta away, and Limassol at home.

But Koeman was in the league with the same teams and had us 18th? He also ruined our European Campaign with pathetic results against Atalanta away, and Limassol at home.

To be honest i still scratch my head that what went so terribly wrong there . We took a proven epl manager , gave him funds and ended in relegation zone . I feel so awful when rival fans wrongly compare this to the qpr stunt under that malaysian businessman which went so horribly wrong ..

any manager could have steadied the ship ad by all accounts it already was before he took over after the 4-0 win over West Ham, we are not any better then we were at the start of the season, he won games we SHOULD win and was unable to beat the worse team in the league twice, both of which we should have lost but Rondon crap.

Lets not forget, no shots at home in 2 games, most goals coincided, most shots coincided an so on and so forth. An the footballs as bad now as it was under Koeman and he didn't have Coleman, Bolasie, Walcott, Tosun an Bains for a few games

I would say that I have to disagree with you obviously this is my view and a matter of opinion to which I know I am in the minority by far

It could be regarded as here say but I really do not believe many managers would have been able to do the job better and I believe it is being underestimated the magnitude of the job , which is why it was given to Sam at the 2nd call , as being realistic which decent manager would have jumped at the chance , it seems if I recall correctly no one on our wish list wanted it apart from Silva which on another topic to me it could be regarded as a good thing he never came in ?

The squad of players had basically lost all confidence before the 4-0 to West Ham ( it also could be said the West Ham result was assisted with Sam coming in as the players saw a sign of some stability / direction )

We were hopeless and rudderless being thrashed , Undsy started off by being positive he was the right man , at the end of his brief reign he was questioning the players resolve / commitment particular after the Europa debacle andafter the Southampton loss, there was a fall out with Mirallas / Schneider there was ill discipline within the squad this was clear on the field off play , we were in free fall

What Sam has not done has won over the supporters , from what I can recall this being he had a positive start and liked taking the plaudits but when things went down hill instead of taking accountability and apologising he made excuses , before games he would be undermine our chances , he never ask for a reprieve in regards to his dogmatic style of play while he was focusing on how best to get results ?

iNope, the figures show that they have both been poor. Only difference now is that we are poor but playing the most awful boring negative football in decades. To say Allardyce is superior is ignoring the factual evidence. To show and analyse form, you have to go back through an equal amount of their most recent games regardless of the opposition. You cannot pick and choose games or the outcome will not be a fair and accurate account. You mentioned some games but then conveniently forgot to mention the Europa league games that we lost and drew in the group stage. Them losses and draw are also in the figures i posted. You cannot cherry pick results. It would balance out if they were all removed but would not be a fair and accurate account.

The form is accurately reflected by all games running consecutively, not by picking and choosing which games. If we were to ignore the competition games and just go on premiership games, it would very likely end up with Koeman doing better in the figures, not worse going back to an equal amount of games for comparison etc.

It is what it is. Allardyce has done a tiny bit better but nowhere near enough to credit him with being 'superior' or saving us from relegation and the downside of that tiny bit better is turning us into the most boring negative and just awful to watch team in the league. They have both done poorly non the less.

I can't agree with your conclusion whatsoever. To address the bit in bold, you cannot compare last season with this one when we had players like Lukaku available to us. So if we went on just league games this season then he absolutely would not have done better this season. However, I admit that is a little unfair on Koeman as he had a very tough set of fixtures to start with, so for example the first 5 league games Koeman faced are not comparable to the 5 league games that Unsworth faced.

I judge Koeman on his overall peformance this season though and he won games early on against vastly inferior opposition from poor leagues (3 wins against Ruzomberok and Split, and then one against Sunderland who are about to drop in to League 1). He then admitted in the Atalanta away game that he hadn't prepared the players and we got taken apart by a pretty average side there and then we drew at home to Limassol. In the league he had us 18th conceding 3's and 5's at home to Spurs and Arsenal, and dumped us out of our fairly average Europa League group. We were below standard at home, pathetic away and pathetic in the Europa League with Koeman.

Allardyce has done some things equally as poor as Koeman - the hammerings away against the top sides, struggling away against sides outside the top 6 but he has improved our position overall and been superior to Koeman. Koeman was bailed out against Bournemouth at home by a player he acted disgracefully towards. He got beat at home to Burnley, whereas Allardyce has got us a number of comfortable wins at home - Huddersfield, Swansea, Brighton and Crystal Palace all being wins by 2 clear goals. Allardyce has also got us 2 away wins. Koeman didn't manage a single one in the league from January to October.

And he has also earnt us some points against the better sides - 2 draws against Liverpool and 1 against Chelsea.

I can't agree with your conclusion whatsoever. To address the bit in bold, you cannot compare last season with this one when we had players like Lukaku available to us. So if we went on just league games this season then he absolutely would not have done better this season. However, I admit that is a little unfair on Koeman as he had a very tough set of fixtures to start with, so for example the first 5 league games Koeman faced are not comparable to the 5 league games that Unsworth faced.

I judge Koeman on his overall peformance this season though and he won games early on against vastly inferior opposition from poor leagues (3 wins against Ruzomberok and Split, and then one against Sunderland who are about to drop in to League 1). He then admitted in the Atalanta away game that he hadn't prepared the players and we got taken apart by a pretty average side there and then we drew at home to Limassol. In the league he had us 18th conceding 3's and 5's at home to Spurs and Arsenal, and dumped us out of our fairly average Europa League group. We were below standard at home, pathetic away and pathetic in the Europa League with Koeman.

Allardyce has done some things equally as poor as Koeman - the hammerings away against the top sides, struggling away against sides outside the top 6 but he has improved our position overall and been superior to Koeman. Koeman was bailed out against Bournemouth at home by a player he acted disgracefully towards. He got beat at home to Burnley, whereas Allardyce has got us a number of comfortable wins at home - Huddersfield, Swansea, Brighton and Crystal Palace all being wins by 2 clear goals. Allardyce has also got us 2 away wins. Koeman didn't manage a single one in the league from January to October.

And he has also earnt us some points against the better sides - 2 draws against Liverpool and 1 against Chelsea.

Lukaku is completely irrelevant sorry. The figures i posted only include the last 4 games of last season. Lukaku scored just 1 goal in them 4 games and it was in the last game and we we got beat anyway. In comparison, we got a decent Striker in January who has already scored 4 goals in 3 games. No matter how much we try to beautify it, it always ends up with the same result. Going off form, both done poor and a new Manager is required to move us forward.

You of course are also entitled to your opinion too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back