Sam Allardyce

So, what next?

• IN. Give him a chance and see what he can do?

Votes: 79 8.3%
  • OUT. Thanks but no thanks. See Ya?

Votes: 758 79.3%
  • As ever. Cheese on Toast

Votes: 25 2.6%
  • Er, I am a bit scared of us Evertoning this right up.

Votes: 94 9.8%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Did he? I thought Steve Walsh signed the players? Or is that only when they're bad?

Case being that Koeman badly lacked a focal-point striker and any pace out wide. He was fighting a losing battle setting up any team with the players he had.

Allardyce has had those two things and I don't feel has even improved us from when Koeman was in charge. The stats certainly don't point to a marked improvement.

(Extra point on Tosun is that it was Walsh and Moshiri who signed off on him after watching Bestiktas play Monaco in the UCL.)
I don't think any of us know who was responsible for the players we signed last summer, but the reality is that the blame could probably be shared between Koeman and Walsh.

Watching them in a Champions League semi final just makes this whole debacle even worse. It's as though we were all part of Genghis Khan's hordes in a past life raping Europe and this is our punishment.

Sam [Poor language removed] Allardyce. We'll probably announce a contract extension the day after they lift the cup.

Exactly. And if Moshiri and the rest of those jokers 'running' this club had half an idea of that, they'd boot fat4rse today to alleviate our pain.

I can't agree with your conclusion whatsoever. To address the bit in bold, you cannot compare last season with this one when we had players like Lukaku available to us. So if we went on just league games this season then he absolutely would not have done better this season. However, I admit that is a little unfair on Koeman as he had a very tough set of fixtures to start with, so for example the first 5 league games Koeman faced are not comparable to the 5 league games that Unsworth faced.

I judge Koeman on his overall peformance this season though and he won games early on against vastly inferior opposition from poor leagues (3 wins against Ruzomberok and Split, and then one against Sunderland who are about to drop in to League 1). He then admitted in the Atalanta away game that he hadn't prepared the players and we got taken apart by a pretty average side there and then we drew at home to Limassol. In the league he had us 18th conceding 3's and 5's at home to Spurs and Arsenal, and dumped us out of our fairly average Europa League group. We were below standard at home, pathetic away and pathetic in the Europa League with Koeman.

Allardyce has done some things equally as poor as Koeman - the hammerings away against the top sides, struggling away against sides outside the top 6 but he has improved our position overall and been superior to Koeman. Koeman was bailed out against Bournemouth at home by a player he acted disgracefully towards. He got beat at home to Burnley, whereas Allardyce has got us a number of comfortable wins at home - Huddersfield, Swansea, Brighton and Crystal Palace all being wins by 2 clear goals. Allardyce has also got us 2 away wins. Koeman didn't manage a single one in the league from January to October.

And he has also earnt us some points against the better sides - 2 draws against Liverpool and 1 against Chelsea.

Koeman was pretty much playing 2 games per week (as was Unsworth) with the league games against very difficult opposition. Neither had the luxury that bfs has of having a week's worth of training sessions to set the side up to play against a certain opposition. And most of that opposition being the lesser sides of the division for bfs.

bfs has played wba (by far the worst team in the league) twice and been lucky to get a point both times!

I can't agree with your conclusion whatsoever. To address the bit in bold, you cannot compare last season with this one when we had players like Lukaku available to us. So if we went on just league games this season then he absolutely would not have done better this season. However, I admit that is a little unfair on Koeman as he had a very tough set of fixtures to start with, so for example the first 5 league games Koeman faced are not comparable to the 5 league games that Unsworth faced.

I judge Koeman on his overall peformance this season though and he won games early on against vastly inferior opposition from poor leagues (3 wins against Ruzomberok and Split, and then one against Sunderland who are about to drop in to League 1). He then admitted in the Atalanta away game that he hadn't prepared the players and we got taken apart by a pretty average side there and then we drew at home to Limassol. In the league he had us 18th conceding 3's and 5's at home to Spurs and Arsenal, and dumped us out of our fairly average Europa League group. We were below standard at home, pathetic away and pathetic in the Europa League with Koeman.

Allardyce has done some things equally as poor as Koeman - the hammerings away against the top sides, struggling away against sides outside the top 6 but he has improved our position overall and been superior to Koeman. Koeman was bailed out against Bournemouth at home by a player he acted disgracefully towards. He got beat at home to Burnley, whereas Allardyce has got us a number of comfortable wins at home - Huddersfield, Swansea, Brighton and Crystal Palace all being wins by 2 clear goals. Allardyce has also got us 2 away wins. Koeman didn't manage a single one in the league from January to October.

And he has also earnt us some points against the better sides - 2 draws against Liverpool and 1 against Chelsea.
We can argue all day about Koeman vs Allardyce. Their records are so similar the minor variables are driving the results not the major one(s). For the draw at analfield there is a draw at the Etihad, for Spurs home 0-3 defeat there's the Citeh 0-3 defeat, etc...Both had little empathy for the fans/players (for Barkley see Klaasen or Lookman)
The key thing to remember is that Koeman got unceremoniously dumped out of the club for his record - with the same record BFS deserves exactly the same fate.

Lukaku is completely irrelevant sorry. The figures i posted only include the last 4 games of last season. Lukaku scored just 1 goal in them 4 games and it was in the last game and we we got beat anyway. In comparison, we got a decent Striker in January who has already scored 4 goals in 3 games. No matter how much we try to beautify it, it always ends up with the same result. Going off form, both done poor and a new Manager is required to move us forward.

You of course are also entitled to your opinion too.

Allardyce has been in charge for 19 league games now. In an earlier post you said 'in an equal amount of games for comparison in the league, Koeman would have done better', that would have to include 10 league games from last season which includes Lukaku and in my opinion makes the argument flawed.

What I will concede on, is that I think if Allardyce had been given the first 9 games that Koeman had, there would have been minimal difference in the points totals due to the start including City (A), Chelsea (A), Spurs (H), United (H), Arsenal (H). If you compare Koeman's 9 games this season, with Allardyce's first 9, Allardyce gets 12 points to Koeman's 8, but Koeman faced 5 of the top 6 whereas Allardyce faced 4 of the top 6 so would have returned a pretty similar points total if the same fixtures.

Where I differ I think from you is that I saw no sign of Koeman doing anything right. So I think over the 19 game period that Allardyce has been in charge, Koeman would have still been considerably worse. Allardyce may have had us playing poor football, but he has earned us wins by 2 goal margins against Huddersfield, Swansea, Brighton and Crystal Palace, whilst also getting us a win against Leicester who were above us, and 2 away wins. By contrast, Koeman didn't get a single away win from January to October and every game was a struggle with him. In every game except for Split at home we had to struggle for a positive result. Both Ruzomberok games, Split away, Stoke at home, Bournemouth at home, Limassol at home, Brighton away etc. Koeman was an utter disgrace this season.

I would argue that if Koeman had Coleman available, Tosun and Walcott like Scam has then he'd have produced better than him.

By no metric could you say big undies has done a superior job to his predacessor.

2 players this manager brought in and look to be a success. Compared with the wastefulness of Koeman. At least for the most part Allardyce identified key areas to strengthen (except for LB which I will criticise). Koeman sold our 25 goal a season striker and decided we'd be OK with an inexperienced striker who has a worse ratio than 1 in 7 in the Premier League.

2 players this manager brought in and look to be a success. Compared with the wastefulness of Koeman. At least for the most part Allardyce identified key areas to strengthen (except for LB which I will criticise). Koeman sold our 25 goal a season striker and decided we'd be OK with an inexperienced striker who has a worse ratio than 1 in 7 in the Premier League.

Steve Walsh is our DOF. He left Koeman without a striker despite him saying several times he needed one. He got two for Big Scam who hasn't even improved us much with them.

Ronald Koeman should face prison for the squad he left us with after the money spent.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back