• Participation within this subforum is only available to members who have had 5+ posts approved elsewhere.

Saudi Arabia Premier league

Status
Not open for further replies.
If they really want it to become a proper, respected league, able to compete with the top leagues, it's going to take them a long time and lots of investment.

I'm talking a decade if not longer because it simply isn't a quick process. Mbappe is a brilliant player and will be a shining light, but that is one player.

People may then mention Cristiano Ronaldo and others, but what about the average standard? There'll still be a large percentage of players who are dross.

It will take them time to make the league competitive because it will require them to bring a real depth. They may be able to do it... they may actually do it...

... but I still think there's more of a chance of it not prospering than doing so - think of China's failed attempt.
They are bringing in the depth though, the scale of what they’re doing in one summer is unprecedented-it’s not just one or two stars in teams of local nobodies. They’ll have four very competitive teams before the summer is out.

If someone like Mbappe goes then the tipping point for tv deals in Europe probably comes, people will demand to watch Mbappe.

Then UEFA will have to do something about power slipping away. Like the PGA Tour doing a deal with the LIV tour, an agreement will have to be reached. I’d honestly expect Saudi clubs in the UCL within 5 years.

Al Hilal just offered €300m for Mbappe!

I assume PSG will accept. Surely Mbappe won't want to go there though.

That deal doesn't pass the fit and proper test, what kind of idiots would pay that now when you can have him in a year for free? Like Kane you could understand 100 million perhaps, but those numbers are just bonkers.

They are bringing in the depth though, the scale of what they’re doing in one summer is unprecedented-it’s not just one or two stars in teams of local nobodies. They’ll have four very competitive teams before the summer is out.

If someone like Mbappe goes then the tipping point for tv deals in Europe probably comes, people will demand to watch Mbappe.

Then UEFA will have to do something about power slipping away. Like the PGA Tour doing a deal with the LIV tour, an agreement will have to be reached. I’d honestly expect Saudi clubs in the UCL within 5 years.
Are they? To the scale of the PL, La Liga, Bundesliga, Seria A, Ligue 1 or even the Dutch and Belgian leagues etc? There are some top signings, but not lots.

When looking through their transfers, the large majority are still natives or players from the region sprinkled in with a few noticeable names.

Yes, they're doing something that's pretty unprecedented, but it's still a drop in the ocean compared to what is needed to compete with the top leagues.

Are they? To the scale of the PL, La Liga, Bundesliga, Seria A, Ligue 1 or even the Dutch and Belgian leagues etc? There are some top signings, but not lots.

When looking through their transfers, the large majority are still natives or players from the region sprinkled in with a few noticeable names.

Yes, they're doing something that's pretty unprecedented, but it's still a drop in the ocean compared to what is needed to compete with the top leagues.

It will all fizzle away in a couple of years when a player decides to have a nigh out on the lash or is pissed in the street and ends up getting 500 lashes and 5 years in prison.

It will all fizzle away in a couple of years when a player decides to have a nigh out on the lash or is pissed in the street and ends up getting 500 lashes and 5 years in prison.
It'll fizzle out if they fail to get the international viewing figures, which is a distinct possibility. Like with China, players will go for the immense money on offer.

However, that kind of model can only work so long before the attraction wanes. To be fair to the Saudis, I think they're in it for longer than China was...

... but like I said before, it's going to take around a decade (at least) for it to grow into a league that'll compete with the bigger leagues, let alone the PL etc.

They will need to develop their grassroots football model too, so they have a steady influx of local talent, which is far from a quick fix. It's generational.

Yeah maybe I exaggerated slightly but by depth what I mean is they clearly want to assemble four full teams of top talent rather than just sprinkle in a few stars. They certainly have the means to do so. Obviously the whole league won’t be like that but then arguably a league with four potential winners is as competitive or more than some of the elite European leagues.

I’m not saying I particularly want to watch the league (yet) but I’m saying people maybe need to take it seriously rather than complacently dismiss it as a semi retirement league.

It'll fizzle out if they fail to get the international viewing figures, which is a distinct possibility. Like with China, players will go for the immense money on offer.

However, that kind of model can only work so long before the attraction wanes. To be fair to the Saudis, I think they're in it for longer than China was...

... but like I said before, it's going to take around a decade (at least) for it to grow into a league that'll compete with the bigger leagues, let alone the PL etc.

They will need to develop their grassroots football model too, so they have a steady influx of local talent, which is far from a quick fix. It's generational.
Spot on, also its not just about the ££££££££££, ok thats the attraction buts its the culture and one of the biggest attractions to say Europe is the diverse culture, so any player from any background could fit in to any of main European leagues.

That aint happening in Saudi and that will be their demise in time.

€400m for one season,you just can't turn that type of money down don't matter who you are.
IF i was worth about 60mil and not even half way though my career and was a world superstar i would turn it down, his lifestyle wont change one iota with an extra 400mil he already can afford anything he wants. Its nothing but pure greed, but what do we expect in the world we live in today.

IF i was worth about 60mil and not even half way though my career and was a world superstar i would turn it down, his lifestyle wont change one iota with an extra 400mil he already can afford anything he wants. Its nothing but pure greed, but what do we expect in the world we live in today.
Everything is for sale, Saudis and other Gulf states perfectly demonstrates that this "great moral values" by the West are nothing more than one big hypocrisy.
Throw enough money and you can buy everything, sport, weapons, politicians, beautiful women, you name it.......

Its a cynical world and real life got not much in common with online moralizing mostly made for internet likes and clicks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back