• Participation within this subforum is only available to members who have had 5+ posts approved elsewhere.

Saudi Arabia Premier league

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can anyone give me any positivity that this Saudi project won't change the game (terribly) forever? Don't get me wrong I know money has already tainted it a massive amount, but this is a new world. Their wealth seems absolutely bottomless.
It could all be a big ruse that these footballers are going over there on over market price wages!

They are slowly trying to extract all money from Saudi Arabia and donate it to cure World hunger or something like that!
Taking dirty money and making it good?

Every time a top player goes there people say “why’s he going there it’s not a proper league?”. What’s the tipping point? I don’t like what they’re doing but at some point you have to concede they’ve bought themselves a proper league.
I'm loving it. They are completing the destruction of football as we know it. And not before time.

All the bleating from the FFP drawbridge retractors that they are "ruining football" is glorious. Ruining football? Oh, now it's being ruined... I see.

I hope they bury the game as we know it.

They are bringing in the depth though, the scale of what they’re doing in one summer is unprecedented-it’s not just one or two stars in teams of local nobodies. They’ll have four very competitive teams before the summer is out.

If someone like Mbappe goes then the tipping point for tv deals in Europe probably comes, people will demand to watch Mbappe.

Then UEFA will have to do something about power slipping away. Like the PGA Tour doing a deal with the LIV tour, an agreement will have to be reached. I’d honestly expect Saudi clubs in the UCL within 5 years.
And what a farce that would be.

FIFA want to destroy UEFA's grip on club football. This is precisely how they'll do it - except it will be Saudi clubs in FIFA's new Club World Cup. UEFA's only riposte will be to breakaway from FIFA and merge with CONMEBOL. That threat would destroy the FIFA World Cup and, effectively, allow UEFA and CONMEBOL to put manners on FIFA.

PSG accepted the offer.

£700m for a season keeping match fit before joining Real versus £80m loyalty bonus and sat on the bench.

I'm loving it. They are completing the destruction of football as we know it. And not before time.

All the bleating from the FFP drawbridge retractors that they are "ruining football" is glorious. Ruining football? Oh, now it's being ruined... I see.

Sadly I don't think the Saudi's will accelerate the destruction of the game.

Too many telly clappers and glory hunters to keep the gravy train rolling.

This echos my feelings perfectly.

The Saudis are just continuing the trail of greed which was blazed by the Premier League, The FA, UEFA, FIFA and all the other pointless governing bodies.

What have they governed? Greed. That’s what.

They are reaping what they’ve sewn, and I’m enjoying every minute of it.

I would hate playing in that heat all the time and the quality is very short of Europe's top leagues. They're just chucking money at it, not growing it organically, probably because they can't. Games gone to the dogs.

I personally think Mbappe will be offered the works, they’ll give him the team and whatever he wants. A Beckham deal, if you like.

I’m all for it, let the Saudi Pro League become the Super League they all desperately wanted and try to restore some parity in the English leagues (Fully aware I’m clutching at straws).

What’s he supposed to get £760m over the course of his one year? That’s £2m a day to kick a ball. Madness.

The game died when North Korea won the 2010 World Cup mate

FFP has killed the game.

The governing bodies had a chance when Abramovich started buying success to introduce a salary or transfer cap across the board but instead waited for an entire country to buy Man City before introducing FFP which is designed to keep the old rich boys and the gulf state owned clubs in a league of their own.

If FFP was implemented correctly there would be no issues likewise if there were no rules at all yes the wealthy owned clubs would dominate but every club would be owned by multi billionaires with little need to sell their top players so their would be more balance.

What we have at the moment is the rich rich, the poor poor and the new monied finding ways to join the old boys network in partner owned clubs, inflated sponserships linked to the owners etc.

Game is ruined and UEFA have sat back and enabled it out of fear of the big boys going to the ESL.

Man city and their ownership are part of the same critiques being made about saudi involvement
Yeah, I suppose that wasn’t the best example.

Even taking Man City out of the equation, some of the wages Liverpool and United are paying players such as Salah and De Gea is eye watering. £300k+ a week seems to be the going rate for a ‘top’ class player.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back