• Participation within this subforum is only available to members who have had 5+ posts approved elsewhere.

Saudi Arabia Premier league

Status
Not open for further replies.
No we really don't.

One of the things that I hate about the EPL and modern football in general is the amount of money involved. So I'm really going to despise the Saudi League. The only thing that interests me in the EPL is Everton. Or I wouldn't even bother watching it.
There’s been 26 pages since I put the thread up which makes me believe people wanna discuss it. You have also said we don’t need to discuss then followed on discussing it.

FFP has killed the game.

The governing bodies had a chance when Abramovich started buying success to introduce a salary or transfer cap across the board but instead waited for an entire country to buy Man City before introducing FFP which is designed to keep the old rich boys and the gulf state owned clubs in a league of their own.

If FFP was implemented correctly there would be no issues likewise if there were no rules at all yes the wealthy owned clubs would dominate but every club would be owned by multi billionaires with little need to sell their top players so their would be more balance.

What we have at the moment is the rich rich, the poor poor and the new monied finding ways to join the old boys network in partner owned clubs, inflated sponserships linked to the owners etc.

Game is ruined and UEFA have sat back and enabled it out of fear of the big boys going to the ESL.
To be fair FFP came in due to the large number of professional clubs across European top flights who were operating at a constant loss and the high proportion who were identified as being at severe risk of going under should something go wrong. As the money increased in the game then so did the disproportionate risks irresponsible owners were willing to take with something that was entirely disposable to them should it not show the required returns. Venture capitalists and ego tripping billionaires care very little about a storied history or legacy.

There's no denying that FFP does limit the financial load placed on clubs should an owner decide to walk away. There's likely a lot of blatant fiddling going on but as it stands there isn't a club out there whose owners don't have to balance the books in some fashion which offers some protection to clubs in the longer term that isn't dependent on the current custodian.

Out of interest what would be a correct implementation?

To be fair FFP came in due to the large number of professional clubs across European top flights who were operating at a constant loss and the high proportion who were identified as being at severe risk of going under should something go wrong. As the money increased in the game then so did the disproportionate risks irresponsible owners were willing to take with something that was entirely disposable to them should it not show the required returns. Venture capitalists and ego tripping billionaires care very little about a storied history or legacy.

There's no denying that FFP does limit the financial load placed on clubs should an owner decide to walk away. There's likely a lot of blatant fiddling going on but as it stands there isn't a club out there whose owners don't have to balance the books in some fashion which offers some protection to clubs in the longer term that isn't dependent on the current custodian.

Out of interest what would be a correct implementation?

Transfer cap across the board for me.

Maximum budget for every club of say £100m a season and the money has to be proven to come from the owners own pocket not via loans against future revenue etc.

Transfer cap across the board for me.

Maximum budget for every club of say £100m a season and the money has to be proven to come from the owners own pocket not via loans against future revenue etc.
If there's a transfer cap then why would it have to come from the owner's pocket? TV money alone would cover the lions share of that and other commercial revenue/player trading would make up the rest.

What about contract commitments as well? They're often the main source of most clubs woes once things start heading south.

Erling Haaland earns reportedly £825k a week, but apparently it’s only now that things have gone too far.

lol
I still remember conversions from the late 90s that we'll not see a £100k p/w contract in football...because that would be too far.

I'm sure there are posters on here with memories of the salary cap that topped out in the £100s p/w.

If there's a transfer cap then why would it have to come from the owner's pocket? TV money alone would cover the lions share of that and other commercial revenue/player trading would make up the rest.

What about contract commitments as well? They're often the main source of most clubs woes once things start heading south.

Yeah that as well - I was highlighting your point of the risk of clubs getting into situations such as taking loans out etc. in "chasing the pot of gold" via reckless spending. Basically any money that isn't in the form of loans/borrowing against future revenue is allowed to be spent.

And what you would find is that it would create a trickle down effect - if Chelsea needed to sign 4 players one summer they couldn't spend £100m on Enzo Fernandez. Likewise if Utd wanted 3x players then Antony goes from being a £90m player to a £35m one. Varane & Casemeiro go from £50m additions to £30m ones. Clubs will also likely cut back on summer spending as to leave something in the pot for January as a back up plan incase of an injury crisis etc.

The fact 3x players have gone for £100m+ in the last 2-3 summers (Grealish, Fernandez, Rice) and Chelsea can spend £300-400m in one season whilst we can only spend £1.7m shows the system is a sham when we're in the same league. Its like comparing Real Madrids budget to a side in the Spanish 3rd Division.

There’s been 26 pages since I put the thread up which makes me believe people wanna discuss it. You have also said we don’t need to discuss then followed on discussing it.

hmm, you started the entire thread with "We need to discuss now"

My response was "No we really don't".

Saudi Arabian league is best ignored IMO. For the better of football

hmm, you started the entire thread with "We need to discuss now"

My response was "No we really don't".

Saudi Arabian league is best ignored IMO. For the better of football
Ssssh. Here comes Mr Bigballs, The Saudi Arabian League.
Everybody ignore him. He’ll just start bragging about how much money he has and how he has ronaldo’s mobile number.
Don’t look at him. Don’t make eye contact.
Uh oh. He’s coming this way!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back