• Participation within this subforum is only available to members who have had 5+ posts approved elsewhere.

Saudi Arabia Premier league

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeh and how do they get other industries to the region? Eyes on it. This PR stunt needs some longevity to attract these other industries. People aren't going to deeply invest over there if they see this experiment die in 2 years (which I expect it to).

They will carry on throwing money at it. They will not give up after 2 years

I don't think they'll give up on it. I think the players that attract attention will give up on it. The likes of Ruben Neves and Jota etc., small names too in reality, I think will come back after 2 season whoring it in.

I dont disagree, but to what end? No matter how much cash they lob at football, the one thing they dont have is unaffordable. Even to them.

I dont disagree, but to what end? No matter how much cash they lob at football, the one thing they dont have is unaffordable. Even to them.

Just look at Aramco one of the companies owned by the Kingdom that brings in profits of 3 billion per week last year. They about 25 years left of oil production, they will in the next decade throw billions and billions to grow tourism and tempt the services industry to come and base themselves in Saudi.

Have a look at the plans they have to create a new super city called Neom. They are sport washing on a scale never seen before.

I may be absolutely thick as pig poo. But if this is about Saudi starting to be less reliant on oil, since when would lobbing millions at old footballers for 4 teams no one would ever buy, or be allowed to, do that?
Dubai have tried to diversify their economy in a few ways, including making it a global transport hub, a world renowned financial sector away from the west...

... and tourism. If you look at how much Dubai is investing in making it become a global player, this will help it eventually move away from their reliance on oil.

Saudi Arabia is now looking to do the same by trying to make it a more attractive place for non-Saudis or those who aren't visiting Mecca for the hajj.

Sport is one of their ways of doing that, alongside some absolutely mammoth infrastructure projects they're currently looking at building.

This is a decent video talking about some of the stuff they're looking at building.

I don't think they'll give up on it. I think the players that attract attention will give up on it. The likes of Ruben Neves and Jota etc., small names too in reality, I think will come back after 2 season whoring it in.

They will be replaced, players and definatley the agents will be tempted just for the cash and with it being tax free for them.

Dubai have tried to diversify their economy in a few ways, including making it a global transport hub, a world renowned financial sector away from the west...

... and tourism. If you look at how much Dubai is investing in making it become a global player, this will help it eventually move away from their reliance on oil.

Saudi Arabia is now looking to do the same by trying to make it a more attractive place for non-Saudis or those who aren't visiting Mecca for the hajj.

Sport is one of their ways of doing that, alongside some absolutely mammoth infrastructure projects they're currently looking at building.

This is a decent video talking about some of the stuff they're looking at building.

Yeah, get that. Visited Dubai in the early years on their transition, (they were never that reliant on oil anyrate
compared to Saudi.). I just dont get why paying Jordan Henderson £700k a week is in any way going to achieve that.

We will have to wait and see but they will not want this to be a failure so will carry on throwing cash galore at it.

Another factor people seem to overlook is what it might do to players in the national team. If they stop getting selected because of playing in a weak leauge, will it keep them wanting to play there? Especially season's leading up to a WC.

Yeah, get that. Visited Dubai in the early years on their transition, (they were never that reliant on oil anyrate
compared to Saudi.). I just dont get why paying Jordan Henderson £700k a week is in any way going to achieve that.
As Blues, we're probably a bit reluctant to admit that Henderson is probably a fairly recognisable player: RS captain; CL winner; key England international.

While he won't have the high profile status of other better players, it's still a coup to draw him there. Gerrard is getting someone he knows and trusts too.

But in reality, that still doesn't justify £700k per week or what other gross amount he's getting. However, he is simply one pawn in the wider game they're playing.

They need to draw recognisable talents to play over there, and because of that they (the State, PIF etc.) will bankroll players coming above their merit.

If it opens the doors for other players to come, it will help embed the league; if the league's status grows, they'll be able to attract other talents down the line.

My thoughts, as already stated, are that it won't be that easy and will take a generation to achieve what they desire (if they ever do), but they have the dosh to do it.

As Blues, we're probably a bit reluctant to admit that Henderson is probably a fairly recognisable player: RS captain; CL winner; key England international.

While he won't have the high profile status of other better players, it's still a coup to draw him there. Gerrard is getting someone he knows and trusts too.

But in reality, that still doesn't justify £700k per week or what other gross amount he's getting. However, he is simply one pawn in the wider game they're playing.

They need to draw recognisable talents to play over there, and because of that they (the State, PIF etc.) will bankroll players coming above their merit.

If it opens the doors for other players to come, it will help embed the league; if the league's status grows, they'll be able to attract other talents down the line.

My thoughts, as already stated, are that it won't be that easy and will take a generation to achieve what they desire (if they ever do), but they have the dosh to do it.

Agree on Henderson. Underrated in my opinion. But their league aint too shabby as it is, nor the Saudi national team. Beat Argentina didnt they? But if they grew their national and league teams organically, like many countries have done, they would have a steady base instead of this circus. Remember the days when England tonked Turkey 8 or 9 nil? Or Norway beating England "You took a hell of a beating"; both are strong leagues and national teams these days.

There is not a reason on the planet why Saudi football could not emulate that. Morocco did well in the WC as well. Thats the way go, imo.

Agree on Henderson. Underrated in my opinion. But their league aint too shabby as it is, nor the Saudi national team. Beat Argentina didnt they? But if they grew their national and league teams organically, like many countries have done, they would have a steady base instead of this circus. Remember the days when England tonked Turkey 8 or 9 nil? Or Norway beating England "You took a hell of a beating"; both are strong leagues and national teams these days.

There is not a reason on the planet why Saudi football could not emulate that. Morocco did well in the WC as well. Thats the way go, imo.
I see some false equivalence here. You've talked about national teams beating each other, whereas I think Saudis national team is already stronger than their league.

By that, it's recognised as being fairly decent - especially in the region. But, they want to build the profile of their league to become a global player.

And to do that, you need to attract global talent to play there. Look at the PL for example, it is recognised for having top talent, but what percentage are English?

La Liga has top Spanish players, but it's also known for attracting the best South American talent, alongside big players from Europe and elsewhere.

So do to that, you need to attract players from elsewhere, which in turn will attract audiences from around the global. There, they hope, it'll become cyclical.

In terms of grassroots, I've said the same (see below), but it isn't going to be a quick fix. Developing the league through foreign exposure may help that.
It'll fizzle out if they fail to get the international viewing figures, which is a distinct possibility. Like with China, players will go for the immense money on offer.

However, that kind of model can only work so long before the attraction wanes. To be fair to the Saudis, I think they're in it for longer than China was...

... but like I said before, it's going to take around a decade (at least) for it to grow into a league that'll compete with the bigger leagues, let alone the PL etc.

They will need to develop their grassroots football model too, so they have a steady influx of local talent, which is far from a quick fix. It's generational.
It'll only go to strengthen their national team, like you referred to, but as I said that ain't their primary goal. That's to make their league the pinnacle.

How many are Saudi golfers are there? That hasn't stopped them spending billions on LIV golf, to make it the most prestigious tournament. Their tournament.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back