• Participation within this subforum is only available to members who have had 5+ posts approved elsewhere.

Saudi Arabia Premier league

Status
Not open for further replies.
I see some false equivalence here. You've talked about national teams beating each other, whereas I think Saudis national team is already stronger than their league.

By that, it's recognised as being fairly decent - especially in the region. But, they want to build the profile of their league to become a global player.

And to do that, you need to attract global talent to play there. Look at the PL for example, it is recognised for having top talent, but what percentage are English?

La Liga has top Spanish players, but it's also known for attracting the best South American talent, alongside big players from Europe and elsewhere.

So do to that, you need to attract players from elsewhere, which in turn will attract audiences from around the global. There, they hope, it'll become cyclical.

In terms of grassroots, I've said the same (see below), but it isn't going to be a quick fix. Developing the league through foreign exposure may help that.

It'll only go to strengthen their national team, like you referred to, but as I said that ain't their primary goal. That's to make their league the pinnacle.

How many are Saudi golfers are there? That hasn't stopped them spending billions on LIV golf, to make it the most prestigious tournament. Their tournament.
I do think they want to have a strong national team also

I am still clinging to the fact it becomes the Super League.
They can realistically own all 12 teams, fund te whole lot, sit back and watch the best footballers flock to Saudi, dream of Saudi, sell the model UEFA, the rich clubs wanted, and keep all the profit themselves.

Make all European leagues competitive again, and take it riches away from the greedy 6, in a cruel twist of fate.

Probably more likely a “Global” league forms as a result.

Rather than spend billions on washed up footballers, couldn't they just treat women as equals and stop beheading people etc? Seems like a very long winded way of getting to the same point. I.E bring in tourism, improve their profile on the world stage, get outside investment...

The world is insane.

Rather than spend billions on washed up footballers, couldn't they just treat women as equals and stop beheading people etc? Seems like a very long winded way of getting to the same point. I.E bring in tourism, improve their profile on the world stage, get outside investment...

The world is insane.
I think the reason they won't do that is because they're generally brainwashed from a very young age into reading and living their lives by the incredibly strict readings from the Qur'an and living by Islamic Law and it's so-called actions from the Prophet Muhammed.

A combination of these three - the Qur'an, living under Islamic Law and guidance gained by the Prophet Muhammed's actions - is a deadly cocktail for women, homosexuals and pretty thieves:

Dare to dress a certain way and you may be punished by being raped and subsequently stoned to death.

Dare to be attracted to people of the same gender and you will find yourself being the week's community entertainment when parents and children are invited to watch you being hanged.

Do something as petty as stealing a chicken and you'll get your arm tied to a plank of wood and get your hand hacked off.

But hey, if you can put your morals to one side it's a great society to live in for a few years to top up your already bursting bank balance. You wouldn't have been able to spend the money you already had in your lifetime and now your great, great, great grandchildren will also struggle to spend what's been left to them.

I think the reason they won't do that is because they're generally brainwashed from a very young age into reading and living their lives by the incredibly strict readings from the Qur'an and living by Islamic Law and it's so-called actions from the Prophet Muhammed.

A combination of these three - the Qur'an, living under Islamic Law and guidance gained by the Prophet Muhammed's actions - is a deadly cocktail for women, homosexuals and pretty thieves:

Dare to dress a certain way and you may be punished by being raped and subsequently stoned to death.

Dare to be attracted to people of the same gender and you will find yourself being the week's community entertainment when parents and children are invited to watch you being hanged.

Do something as petty as stealing a chicken and you'll get your arm tied to a plank of wood and get your hand hacked off.

But hey, if you can put your morals to one side it's a great society to live in for a few years to top up your already bursting bank balance. You wouldn't have been able to spend the money you already had in your lifetime and now your great, great, great grandchildren will also struggle to spend what's been left to them.
I don't condone any of Saudi's anti-homosexual laws but I think as a society, the West has a lot to learn from these Middle Eastern states with countries like Singapore included. You also seem to think rape is prevalent in the ME when it's clearly the opposite. In fact, Midde Eastern nations have notoriously lowest rape rates on the face of this planet because of how strict the authorities on crime like this.

Countries like Dubai and Qatar have been extremely successful with crime and safety and that's largely down to the fact how strict they are with crime. The reason why cities like Dubai and Singapore are the cities everyone desires to move to is all down to how they are governed.

I don't condone any of Saudi's anti-homosexual laws but I think as a society, the West has a lot to learn from these Middle Eastern states with countries like Singapore included. You also seem to think rape is prevalent in the ME when it's clearly the opposite. In fact, Midde Eastern nations have notoriously lowest rape rates on the face of this planet because of how strict the authorities on crime like this.

Countries like Dubai and Qatar have been extremely successful with crime and safety and that's largely down to the fact how strict they are with crime. The reason why cities like Dubai and Singapore are the cities everyone desires to move to is all down to how they are governed.
This can be tolerated?

Why, just why.

Maybe among the lowest reported or prosecuted rape rates. If you are a woman that is viewed as a second class citizen by law, do you really think they are going to get a fair trial when it comes to rape?

There's a problem with the crime of rape in GCC. Many places treat it as sex outside marriage, and that will suppress claims. Case in point, about 10 years ago a 13 or 14 year old Brazilian schoolgirl was attacked by her schoolbus driver. When her family complained, the Dubai authorities detained her. Turns out her father was a diplomat, so thinks were fixed quickly (and the family swiftly returned to Brazil at their request).

They've made many reforms but there are still some antiquated views and laws in the region.

Full disclosure: worked over there for nearly 10 years - saw a lot of positive changes. However I think also there is a risk of them becoming more autocratic - monitoring citizens and residents lives in ways that China would be proud of.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back