SCRAP VAR

Status
Not open for further replies.
I thought he looked miles offside in real time, surprised it was even close. I used to hate VAR but I've come around I think, certainly in relation to offsides as it is more objective for the marginal cases. I do find it very annoying that you have to wait after scoring every goal to see whether there was some minor infringement though, especially in relation to stuff that is highly subjective (like whether a defender was holding a forward too much or something)

It's never been feet since the offside law was first introduced. Why would we want to change it to that now?
Because we didn’t have a way of verifying anything regarding offside before VAR. It’s literally impossible to make a tight offside decision in real time. Your eyes need to look at least three things simultaneously - and then interpret whether the ‘interfering with play’ box has been ticked.

So if we have VAR, we should use what it’s capable of - which doesn’t include drawing lines from someone’s shoulder to the ground to compare against someone’s foot tens of metres away. Lens distortion, low resolution, low frame rate, limited angles are all huge roadblocks to the current system being reliable.

It should be where the feet are planted, it's football ffs. This elbow/armpit/boil on the bonce is an absolute pile of crap
I think this is closer to the solution than what we’re currently using.

As someone else said also, the only thing we can fairly compare are two planted feet on the turf. They are on the same plane, at least.

But even then, depending on where a player is in their stride, a planted foot could be behind or in front of them.

It’s a minefield. VAR has let the genie out of the bottle, and no one has a clue how to use it fairly and objectively.

The call was that bad even my disgusting bitter horrid smelly rs mates think it was a joke of a decision.

The rashford one scored against the rs was more offside than gray was last night.

The difference? The lino vs rashford kept his flag down so VAR went with the lino and kept the goal, the lino last night put his flag up and VAR went with them. If there is any chance whatsoever wrong or not to back their officials they will.

Scandalous

Scrap VAR until we can replace ref and linesmen with all-seeing robots capable of making accurate decisions instantly and meting out severe punishment for players who dive in the box.

VAR for offsides is perfectly fine. Using it for interpretation of fouls is the issue
Yeah I agree
Same as goal line technology

It’s the interpretation of fouls which is the issue for me

I would love to know how many wrong decisions are made against correct decisions

The difference between penalty and offsides is. Offsides are scientific. Therefore if your off, your off. Can the computer be tampered with to alter the lines. I suppose it can, but that's a different matter. It doesn't matter if its only your toe nail that's off. If you're off, you're off. There's got to be a cut off point somewhere. Yes we were unlucky last night but according to the rules he was off.

I work with a certain Mr Derek Eaton. I asked him for an explaination this morning. He said since re-watching it, he stands by the decision.

Gang of tools.

Scrap VAR until we can replace ref and linesmen with all-seeing robots capable of making accurate decisions instantly and meting out severe punishment for players who dive in the box.
Terminator robots on the sidelines that can detect dives and respond accordingly would solve the problem in a hurry.

Status
Not open for further replies.