SCRAP VAR

Status
Not open for further replies.
Live , at the game, and in line with the play I didn’t celebrate as I knew it was going to be given offside. Looked more offside at the time than it does using VAR.

I wasn't really talking about last night's decision being wrong, I was just using it as an example of a tight call. My point is that with decisions like that TV cameras will never really show that someone is on or off. If you have to analyse it for ages and get lines out to work it out then most people will (and did) just shrug it off as a difficult call whichever way it goes. I think the idea of VAR correcting clear errors where a quick check shows someone is offside or whatever is fine, replaying things over and over, drawing arbitrary lines and talking about shadows etc is just ridiculous.

As an aside, under the current system, the linos decision to flag last night was absolutely appalling.
I agree mate. How can he flag when it's so tight and that confirms the argument that if he was onside it would have been a clear and obvious error. But cause it was so tight he should have kept his flag down and as people have said given the striker the advantage. But I saw it with Gary Lineker and the likes years ago. He had so much pace he could afford to give the defender 2 yards but the liners still couldn't get their flags up quick enough. The whole offside law has frustrated the life out of me for as long as I care to remember. Would the game be better or worse if they did away with it altogether.

I agree mate. How can he flag when it's so tight and that confirms the argument that if he was onside it would have been a clear and obvious error. But cause it was so tight he should have kept his flag down and as people have said given the striker the advantage. But I saw it with Gary Lineker and the likes years ago. He had so much pace he could afford to give the defender 2 yards but the liners still couldn't get their flags up quick enough. The whole offside law has frustrated the life out of me for as long as I care to remember. Would the game be better or worse if they did away with it altogether.

Do not know about scrapping Offside/VAR could create more problems.

In my opinion the goal last night was the wrong decision but I think we can all agree that the decision was extremely close either way.

If we use other sports as an example, especially Cricket and Rugby. The on field decision is massively important and I think, if football is smart enough then last night's decision is based on the on field decision. For example, the same ball could be bowled in cricket and be given out and in, dependent on what the umpire called is on the field, in real time. In Rugby, if the call is too tight to tell from any camera angle then they just automatically go with the refs on field decision.

However, with the 'if football is smart enough' point, it isn't. They have taken what should be an easy rule and definition and made a farce so nobody truly knows what is going on. The liner last night should not have put his flag up but we can all accept that it was tight and if VAR was not a thing it would be a decision we would begrudgingly accept. The fact we now get a dodgy line drawn across a pitch with a camera, that is not in line with play, adds to this fan, player & manager confusion and anger.

For me, they should go to the daylight rule, I just think this will stop a lot of these ridiculous attempts of drawing a line.

SCRAP VAR so the goal can just stay offside as it was initially ruled.

I don't know exactly what a group of fans insisting a goal that was both ruled out by the referee live and the technology afterward should actually have been given says about said group but it is wild.

In my opinion the goal last night was the wrong decision but I think we can all agree that the decision was extremely close either way.

If we use other sports as an example, especially Cricket and Rugby. The on field decision is massively important and I think, if football is smart enough then last night's decision is based on the on field decision. For example, the same ball could be bowled in cricket and be given out and in, dependent on what the umpire called is on the field, in real time. In Rugby, if the call is too tight to tell from any camera angle then they just automatically go with the refs on field decision.

However, with the 'if football is smart enough' point, it isn't. They have taken what should be an easy rule and definition and made a farce so nobody truly knows what is going on. The liner last night should not have put his flag up but we can all accept that it was tight and if VAR was not a thing it would be a decision we would begrudgingly accept. The fact we now get a dodgy line drawn across a pitch with a camera, that is not in line with play, adds to this fan, player & manager confusion and anger.

For me, they should go to the daylight rule, I just think this will stop a lot of these ridiculous attempts of drawing a line.
Daylight rule doesn't change anything, it just moves the area of contention.

I think if the technology is being used then decisions shouldn’t be wrong I also think there should be a video ref watching the game and calling it for the on field ref basic decisions like Gordon should of had a corner last night and a throw didn’t go our way should be corrected, or a captain has 2 challenges for incidents but tbh I’d be much happier if offside was crystal clear and we went back to how football was played without Var and just keep goal line technology and you take the rough with the smooth regarding decisions going for and against you.

Do they actually use hawkeye type technology for offsides?

I also think it would make things easier if they just drew it from the furthest point of the foot and did away with all the other bits of the body regardless if a goal can be scored from them. Just makes it far easier to decide.

1662034501858.webp

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back