SCRAP VAR

Status
Not open for further replies.
The difference between penalty and offsides is. Offsides are scientific. Therefore if your off, your off. Can the computer be tampered with to alter the lines. I suppose it can, but that's a different matter. It doesn't matter if its only your toe nail that's off. If you're off, you're off. There's got to be a cut off point somewhere. Yes we were unlucky last night but according to the rules he was off.
I agree to a point, but I'm not a big fan of the 'if you're off you're off' argument because in reality none of us really see it like that. Pre VAR absolutely nobody would have had an issue with a goal like last night's one standing. They'd have tutted and said it's close etc but nobody would have thought they were being screwed over. We're now trying to look at things with military precision and decide someone's toenail or armpit is offside when that isn't what the rule was introduced for. Being 0.0001 inches ahead of a defender isn't gaining an unfair advantage, just let it go and give the attacker the benefit of the doubt.

It's never been feet since the offside law was first introduced. Why would we want to change it to that now?
It also used to be, if level give advantage to the attacker.

I'm still not getting the clear and obvious thing, surely if you have to go to that much trouble to say it is offside, it isn't clear and obvious. I hate it, the premier League is a sham, set up to benefit the minority.

I agree to a point, but I'm not a big fan of the 'if you're off you're off' argument because in reality none of us really see it like that. Pre VAR absolutely nobody would have had an issue with a goal like last night's one standing. They'd have tutted and said it's close etc but nobody would have thought they were being screwed over. We're now trying to look at things with military precision and decide someone's toenail or armpit is offside when that isn't what the rule was introduced for. Being 0.0001 inches ahead of a defender isn't gaining an unfair advantage, just let it go and give the attacker the benefit of the doubt.
It still wouldn't have counted though mate cause the liner flagged for offside. Now if Gray had been onside by a hairs breath and the liner had flagged only for TV cameras to show he was on we'd all be up in arms.

I'm still not getting the clear and obvious thing, surely if you have to go to that much trouble to say it is offside, it isn't clear and obvious. I hate it, the premier League is a sham, set up to benefit the minority.
The clear and obvious is a good point mate. The reason I think they don't use it with offsides is that they see it as scientific.

Totally agree. I'm not suggesting var is great, but some of the solutions people come up with are even worse than the current situation.

why bother with guys watching it in a studio, when 9 times out of 10 they dont know and ask the ref to look, get rid of them and let the ref just go to the touchline

The problem isn't VAR, it's the dodgy refs. Mic them up and make them explain their decisions. Also show the video up to where the lines are drawn, not just a screenshot.

I suggest everyone watches "Untold: Operation flagrant foul" on Netflix. It is based on the NBA, but highlights how corruption is ingrained at all levels of a sport, especially in the league organisation itself.

Thank the lord Peter Crouch has retired, he would be offside from the bench.
1D723E03-6442-40A2-8A92-7B5ECDAC209B.jpeg

I mean nobody even considers at what frame the ball actually leaves the foot..

It’s a nonsense tbh, nobody was demanding VAR on offsides in the first place, just dodgy pens, and that has continued anyway.

It still wouldn't have counted though mate cause the liner flagged for offside. Now if Gray had been onside by a hairs breath and the liner had flagged only for TV cameras to show he was on we'd all be up in arms.
I wasn't really talking about last night's decision being wrong, I was just using it as an example of a tight call. My point is that with decisions like that TV cameras will never really show that someone is on or off. If you have to analyse it for ages and get lines out to work it out then most people will (and did) just shrug it off as a difficult call whichever way it goes. I think the idea of VAR correcting clear errors where a quick check shows someone is offside or whatever is fine, replaying things over and over, drawing arbitrary lines and talking about shadows etc is just ridiculous.

As an aside, under the current system, the linos decision to flag last night was absolutely appalling.

Status
Not open for further replies.