2023/24 Sean Dyche

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bless the kids mate, you're lucky (to have them and also because you don't watch a lot honestly).

Agreed really, that shot just had a feel about it that it's going in as soon as it landed on his left boot. Also he was absolutely atrocious in that game too IIRC, but scored that lol

Also there have been many times when the ball would fall favourably to our players and they'd sky it, Doucoure feels most criminal for that, foot like a 50p coin ffs even his goals feel awkward somehow lol

I'm gradually molding the eldest (2 1/2) into a blue... if my Dad brought me up to go through the pain and anguish of being a blue then it's only fair I do it to my own...

FWIW - this is a big reason why I'll defend Dyche and his record with us. He's drilled us into a solid, hard working side who regularly create goal scoring opportunities. We just struggle to take them. Of course the buck stops with him being manager, but we're certainly a long way from where we were under Allardyce for example when we were creating nothing.

We definitely should have more possession at times, but we lack of quality, we don't have a lot of technically gifted players in the squad as you said that can pass the ball or even someone like Ward Prowse and Maddison, we cannot afford them atm. I like possession, when you create something with it, but not when you play like Brighton in that game they just passed to each other and didn't create and even fewer shots and touches in the box despite 80% possession.
Brighton have lost over half their first team in 18 months, so in a bit of a transision period and are still in 8th. What they do works for them, but they ain’t that good, that it works every week. Also in the game v us. We had something to defend and yes we still created some chances, but a lot of teams can set up to defend a 1-0 lead. With 10men Liverpool hardly created anything for an hour.

The other side to that, is when we concede first we look hopeless and seem to have no idea how to get back into a game. Ironically the 2 games that we have done well when conceding first. Both v spurs , probably says more how they set up than us.

I'm gradually molding the eldest (2 1/2) into a blue... if my Dad brought me up to go through the pain and anguish of being a blue then it's only fair I do it to my own...

FWIW - this is a big reason why I'll defend Dyche and his record with us. He's drilled us into a solid, hard working side who regularly create goal scoring opportunities. We just struggle to take them. Of course the buck stops with him being manager, but we're certainly a long way from where we were under Allardyce for example when we were creating nothing.
Very sadistic of you, relatable.

I can see that point of view but mine is that he's turning us into his limited mold of football, and he himself is quite limited too with poor game management and all the other things that have been talked to death anyway. We're creating things but there's areas where we should be doing much better in and, "these players/this team" or not, any manager would be getting their head chewed off for - he himself quotes "oh we had good xG", arsed mate, how about we work on the scoring part instead of the "chaos reigns" approach kind of thing we have going for us?

do we have any amateur analysts here or sofa coaches? Can someone define what exactly is "Dyche ball?"

I'll have a go "KICK THE BALL UP LAD, BE TOUGH MATE"

c

He's a pragmatist.

And I've all the time in the world for it.

It's what we need. % football to ensure we stay in the league.

Without that deduction, we're closer to europe than relegation and that deduction also piled on additional pressure.

Not bad at all when you consider we survived by the skin of our teeth 2 seasons on the spin.

People think he's low block etc, which is a nonsense. Think there's only 2/3 teams who have recovered the ball more in the final third.

Only problem is if we’ve built a team in dyche’s style, that means you then need a dyche mark 11. Or you will need to change a lot of team.

We do create chances and people love the Xg, but a lot of teams will start to think about us and set pieces. Spurs couldn’t, but Luton have shut us out twice, palace we didn’t create much, Villa at home. Fulham away again it was mainly set pieces.
The squad has been very stretched during all the games you are referencing, the only game we were close to full strength there was Villa. Even then we had the chances to win that game. And against Fulham.

Players like Branthwaite, Garner, Onana, Gueye, Harrison, DCL aren't married to Dyche's style imo.

Ones who I think are probably Tarkowski, McNeil and possibly Mykolenko.

I do think a lot of fans at this moment just want to see our last season at goodison in the prem and to make sure we’re a prem team going into BDM 25/26 season, they don’t care about style, probably don’t even care who the players and manger are .

But once we get to BMD, thinks will change for 80% of the fan base then. It won’t be about just survival

Last edited:
The squad has been very stretched during all the games you are referencing, the only game we were close to full strength there was Villa. Even then we had the chances to win that game. And against Fulham.

Players like Branthwaite, Garner, Onana, Gueye, Harrison, DCL aren't married to Dyche's style imo.

Ones who I think are probably Tarkowski, McNeil and possibly Mykolenko.
Most teams in most games, especially close ones can say we could have won. I’m sure Villa and Fulham fans, think they should have beat us. Villa dominated a lot of that game and could have have scored 2/3 goals in the last 20mins. Fulham also missed a sitter first half and dominated the majority of the 2nd half

Brighton have lost over half their first team in 18 months, so in a bit of a transision period and are still in 8th. What they do works for them, but they ain’t that good, that it works every week. Also in the game v us. We had something to defend and yes we still created some chances, but a lot of teams can set up to defend a 1-0 lead. With 10men Liverpool hardly created anything for an hour.

The other side to that, is when we concede first we look hopeless and seem to have no idea how to get back into a game. Ironically the 2 games that we have done well when conceding first. Both v spurs , probably says more how they set up than us.
I have a huge respect of Brighton. They do a great job on and off the pitch. It needs time, people with skills, and owners with financial and sportive foresight. Their scouting is amazing and always find good replacements for their leavings for a quite cheap price. It's miles above us as we spent a lot of money on average players over the last 10 years. We need to get financially healthy at first and then invest wisely. For example when Onana leaves for 60-70 millions to use the money to strengthen the squad and get more depth like West Ham with Rice. It will take a few years.

Serious question and not having a dog at dyche .

Is there much difference between him and fat Sam in terms of style and achievements?

I can’t see many tbh
The style we're playing under Dyche is nothing like when we had fat Sam IMO. Under Sam we went 2 consecutive games without a shot at goal, and plenty of games with hardly any shots. Under Dyche we're regularly having more shots than the opposition, just not converting them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.