2023/24 Sean Dyche

Status
Not open for further replies.
Chance creation has not been a problem for Everton since Dyche came in, chance conversion on the other hand...

At the end of the day, we need a few seasons of established competence before we look to evolve the playing style, first become competent (last season since Dyche came in), then get competitive (as we have been this season, we seldom give anyone an easy game), then get consistent (we consistently create chances but we need a few seasons at least comfortably mid-table, stop losing at home to crap teams etc...), then and only then, can we realistically look to evolve beyond what we are at the moment.
Only problem is if we’ve built a team in dyche’s style, that means you then need a dyche mark 11. Or you will need to change a lot of team.

We do create chances and people love the Xg, but a lot of teams will start to think about us and set pieces. Spurs couldn’t, but Luton have shut us out twice, palace we didn’t create much, Villa at home. Fulham away again it was mainly set pieces.

Only problem is if we’ve built a team in dyche’s style, that means you then need a dyche mark 11. Or you will need to change a lot of team.

We do create chances and people love the Xg, but a lot of teams will start to think about us and set pieces. Spurs couldn’t, but Luton have shut us out twice, palace we didn’t create much, Villa at home. Fulham away again it was mainly set pieces.
And the fact we've been shaky defending them for the last 2+ months.

That once or twice is an incident, consistent inability to convert chances for 9 months now should be an alarm sign we either don't work on finishing at all or have literally the most inept football players on Earth.

Ah - I thought you were referring to something else.

I think we simply lack any natural finishers to be honest with you.

But when they have the ball we cannot create anything… our lack of possession and quality is a massive reason to why we are not winning enough games
We definitely should have more possession at times, but we lack of quality, we don't have a lot of technically gifted players in the squad as you said that can pass the ball or even someone like Ward Prowse and Maddison, we cannot afford them atm. I like possession, when you create something with it, but not when you play like Brighton in that game they just passed to each other and didn't create and even fewer shots and touches in the box despite 80% possession.

Ah - I thought you were referring to something else.

I think we simply lack any natural finishers to be honest with you.
Maybe but these are footballers and they brick their pants anytime they're near the box. Some shooting practice feels like it'd do us a world of good, perhaps.

Also some of these players have been natural finishers or at least consistent enough previously, for us too, and now they've lost confidence or have become lacking in finishing overnight. Bit weird.

We definitely should have more possession at times, but we lack of quality, we don't have a lot of technically gifted players in the squad as you said. I like possession, when you create something with it, but not when you play like Brighton in that game they just passed to each other and didn't create and even fewer shots and touches in the box despite 80% possession.
Problem isn't the %possession, problem is that we have 1 dimension - counter.

Wolves and Luton (twice) have this figured out so just gave us the ball and we couldn't do anything with it, so we had 50% possession but they had shut up shop by then so it meant we were just toothless.

There are ways to play direct and not be constantly in your own half, but those are not Dyche ways to play sadly.

Maybe but these are footballers and they brick their pants anytime they're near the box. Some shooting practice feels like it'd do us a world of good, perhaps.

Also some of these players have been natural finishers or at least consistent enough previously, for us too, and now they've lost confidence or have become lacking in finishing overnight. Bit weird.

Yeah - there's a lack of calmness and composure in front of goal.

I don't watch as many games as I used to (kids FFS), but the last time I thought 'goal' was when the ball was dropping onto O'Neill's left foot away at Forest. Other than that, I'm struggling to think of a time when I expected us to score a chance.

I don't watch as many games as I used to (kids FFS), but the last time I thought 'goal' was when the ball was dropping onto O'Neill's left foot away at Forest. Other than that, I'm struggling to think of a time when I expected us to score a chance.

McNeill FFS

Bless the kids mate, you're lucky (to have them and also because you don't watch a lot honestly).

Agreed really, that shot just had a feel about it that it's going in as soon as it landed on his left boot. Also he was absolutely atrocious in that game too IIRC, but scored that lol

Also there have been many times when the ball would fall favourably to our players and they'd sky it, Doucoure feels most criminal for that, foot like a 50p coin ffs even his goals feel awkward somehow lol

It's a big problem we hit 14! times the woodwork in 23 games, which is 2nd and are 2nd in big missed chances in the league. Which concerning for a team like us that is not constantly attacking. Despite that 9th on shots on target and shots taken in general. Defo a finishing problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back