2023/24 Sean Dyche

Status
Not open for further replies.
What is it fella. Are you 5ft4. Small man syndrome. Small penis? I dunno
No need to be so angry. At least wait to the season starts before losing it.
6ft mate and big all over so I’ve been told plenty of times 🤣🤣 so if beto cost 10mil and Chermiti 5mil you’d be a lot happier , but guess what that’s still spending money.
Try and get into you thick head. That Beto and Chermiti weren’t free and aren’t playing for free.

The 2nd point is nonsense imo
McNeil and Harrison stunk the gaff out for large parts of last season, yet got picked every week and rarely got substituted, danjuma and dobbin deserved more game time to see if they could do better especially in that horrendous run. What can anyone do with 5 mins here and 5 minutes there
Offensively, yes, they did. Both Harrison and McNeil went through an awful period where they were dreadful and offered nothing up top, no questions about it. But the work rate was still there, which is something that Danjuma didn't offer. Our somewhat impressive defensive numbers last season wouldn't be what they were if Danjuma had played more regularly in my opinion. The front 3 are the first line of defence as daft as it sounds, especially under Dyche.

Reactions: MJA
Offensively, yes, they did. Both Harrison and McNeil went through an awful period where they were dreadful and offered nothing up top, no questions about it. But the work rate was still there, which is something that Danjuma didn't offer. Our somewhat impressive defensive numbers last season wouldn't be what they were if Danjuma had played more regularly in my opinion. The front 3 are the first line of defence as daft as it sounds, especially under Dyche.

As you might have guessed I'm hugely into analytics, if you look at McNeil's numbers last year he actually ranked very highly in numerous categories - chances created, big chances created (ones which should lead to a goal) etc.

In part our woeful finishing made his season statistically look way poorer than it was. Still finished with 6 assists, but if our finishing would have been say average, those numbers would have been way into double figures.

Harrison I feel was just playing all season trying to catch-up from missing the entire end of last session and the full pre season.

In short though, Harrison fully fit after a ore season will be improved significantly, McNeil is not a problem in terms of what he provides for others certainly

As you might have guessed I'm hugely into analytics, if you look at McNeil's numbers last year he actually ranked very highly in numerous categories - chances created, big chances created (ones which should lead to a goal) etc.

In part our woeful finishing made his season statistically look way poorer than it was. Still finished with 6 assists, but if our finishing would have been say average, those numbers would have been way into double figures.

Harrison I feel was just playing all season trying to catch-up from missing the entire end of last session and the full pre season.

In short though, Harrison fully fit after a ore season will be improved significantly, McNeil is not a problem in terms of what he provides for others certainly
McNeil always seems to go through a tricky spell during the season and then still manage to come up with ~12 G/A contributions. Agree on Harrison as well, definitely waiting for him to have a proper pre-season before judging him entirely.

But they’re wingers, wide midfielders. They should be mainly judged offensively. If it’s about defending and working hard, may as well play Coleman and young down the right and buy a left back to sit in front of Myko.

McNeil always seems to go through a tricky spell during the season and then still manage to come up with ~12 G/A contributions. Agree on Harrison as well, definitely waiting for him to have a proper pre-season before judging him entirely.
How many assists were from open play? As he takes every set piece and we’re set up to score from them. From open play McNeil creates very little imo

What’s his stats like from open play, removing set pieces. I’d guess if garner took every free kick and corner next season he’d top our assists and creating stats.

But they’re wingers, wide midfielders. They should be mainly judged offensively. If it’s about defending and working hard, may as well play Coleman and young down the right and buy a left back to sit in front of Myko.

Seems to be a double standard here that doesn’t exist when discussing fullbacks. If wide midfielders are supposed to be judged offensively then surely fullbacks should be judged defensively? Instead some people just seem to be only interested in everyone’s offensive output. The game goes both ways, it’s equally about keeping it out your own net as it is about putting it in the other net yet one seems to be vilified.

McNeil and Harrison make this TEAM better than Gray Iwobi Danjuma did because they work both ways, just like Richarlison used to. Yes it would be great if they increased their attacking output but any wide player has to do the same defensive work minimum. You see Grealish and Silva doing it at City, you see Martinelli and Saka working back at Arsenal almost sitting on top of their fullbacks all the time. It’s not some weird Dyche tactic for wingers to work both ways, it’s the minimum requirement for any team now if they want to even survive in the prem.

Do set pieces not count as goals?
I was taking about assists, which if McNeil has 6 assists last season and 5 came from corners. Then that says he’s not that great from open play. Even though some will tell he’s great and creates loads of chances, which I don’t I think he’s pants basically

I was taking about assists, which if McNeil has 6 assists last season and 5 came from corners. Then that says he’s not that great from open play. Even though some will tell he’s great and creates loads of chances, which I don’t I think he’s pants basically

A goal is a goal, the top teams are all great at set pieces. It’s a positive that we have one of the better records not a weird tactic from Dyche.

We’ve got the 4th best defence in the league and one of the best set piece records despite being a basket case when he picked us up. Of course we need the attacking output to improve but better attacking players will help that also. McNeil missed the start of last season, and we had Maupay playing and Harrison arriving late so Garner was on the wing.

Give Dyche De Bruyne Grealish Haaland Silva as a front four and I’m sure the offensive output of the team would look a bit different regardless of the tactics. Even Gnonto Linsdstrom Ndiaye Calvert Lewin is a different proposition to Iwobi Doucoure Garner Maupay who started last season.

Seems to be a double standard here that doesn’t exist when discussing fullbacks. If wide midfielders are supposed to be judged offensively then surely fullbacks should be judged defensively? Instead some people just seem to be only interested in everyone’s offensive output. The game goes both ways, it’s equally about keeping it out your own net as it is about putting it in the other net yet one seems to be vilified.

McNeil and Harrison make this TEAM better than Gray Iwobi Danjuma did because they work both ways, just like Richarlison used to. Yes it would be great if they increased their attacking output but any wide player has to do the same defensive work minimum. You see Grealish and Silva doing it at City, you see Martinelli and Saka working back at Arsenal almost sitting on top of their fullbacks all the time. It’s not some weird Dyche tactic for wingers to work both ways, it’s the minimum requirement for any team now if they want to even survive in the prem.

Players should be judged on carrying out the instructions of the manager...Yes there can be commonalities between squads in terms of statistics, but ability is only one of the variables to try and measure when discussing differing levels of production.

A goal is a goal, the top teams are all great at set pieces. It’s a positive that we have one of the better records not a weird tactic from Dyche.

We’ve got the 4th best defence in the league and one of the best set piece records despite being a basket case when he picked us up. Of course we need the attacking output to improve but better attacking players will help that also. McNeil missed the start of last season, and we had Maupay playing and Harrison arriving late so Garner was on the wing.

Give Dyche De Bruyne Grealish Haaland Silva as a front four and I’m sure the offensive output of the team would look a bit different regardless of the tactics. Even Gnonto Linsdstrom Ndiaye Calvert Lewin is a different proposition to Iwobi Doucoure Garner Maupay who started last season.
Them 4 you Memtion at the bottom started 1 game. McNeil played 35 league games.
And dyche wouldn’t get a top job with great players that’s fact, he’s at big club because we’re on our knees. And he may play one flair player at best he ain’t playing 3 or 4

Also this was about someone, who’s obviously a McNeil fan, saying he got 12 goal and assists contributions, trying to make out he’s some technical wizard who’s a great passer and creates loads. Which I think is rubbish and believe the majority of them assists would have been from set pieces. We can all spin stats to help our own agenda

Them 4 you Memtion at the bottom started 1 game. McNeil played 35 league games.
And dyche wouldn’t get a top job with great players that’s fact, he’s at big club because we’re on our knees. And he may play one flair player at best he ain’t playing 3 or 4

Also this was about someone, who’s obviously a McNeil fan, saying he got 12 goal and assists contributions, trying to make out he’s some technical wizard who’s a great passer and creates loads. Which I think is rubbish and believe the majority of them assists would have been from set pieces. We can all spin stats to help our own agenda

Why do you care though? If we got a player who was great in open play but couldn’t take a set piece for their life and the number of goal contributions is the same then there’s no difference!

Ideally you want both as high as possible but we’ve had years of absolutely rubbish corner takers at Everton, now we finally have a decent one and you’re basically saying the stats don’t really count because they’re from set pieces.

Stats only tell half a story anyway. Pienaar’s goal and assist stats used to be terrible but he made the team tick. At the moment, we’re a better team with McNeil in it. Until someone comes along who makes the team play better then he’ll be in the lineup most weeks. They don’t give you less points if you win a game by scoring from a set piece.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back