2023/24 Sean Dyche

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not that surprised he hasn’t started working on tactics. His style is the easiest to coach in the game: let the other team have the ball, sit deep/stay compact, force the ball wide and defend the box from crosses. He’ll drill them on that but it is something that can be instilled in a team quite quickly - Allardyce has done it at multiple clubs and seen a quick impact.

He doesn’t want the ball or to spend time in possession, it’s not his philosophy so there is nothing to coach in terms of patterns of play, what we do with the ball etc. It’s just try to win the ball or wait for the other team to make a mistake in possession and counter attack - then it’s up to the forward players to work it out.

Steve Stone mentioned as much in a recent interview, think it was when we signed Lindstrom - we’re not a possession team so his pace on the counter attack will help the team - or words to that effect.

It’s terrible to watch, boring as hell, must be horrendous to play in if you’re a forward (equally great if you’re a defender as you’re protected well and there are no big gaps to expose) but ultimately, it can be effective at grinding out results. Imagine it’ll be much the same as last season, not too bothered by preseason results.
The dyche paradox - he will keep you up but it’s no fun whatsoever

He has to get us at least 4th from bottom.

We all know he can do that.

That's where we are as a club.

I expect nothing in pre-season and neither am I concerned about it.

There are some people who've been bitten by the 'We're in crisis and we're going to go down' bug and they'll never recover from it...in fact, they probably enjoy it and would feel funny not being that way.
No I'm sorry, if we get another few transfers in like we're expecting with a striker / winger / CM etc then our expectations ARE NOT 4th from bottom.

Mid table is where he has to get us then.

Not that surprised he hasn’t started working on tactics. His style is the easiest to coach in the game: let the other team have the ball, sit deep/stay compact, force the ball wide and defend the box from crosses. He’ll drill them on that but it is something that can be instilled in a team quite quickly - Allardyce has done it at multiple clubs and seen a quick impact.

He doesn’t want the ball or to spend time in possession, it’s not his philosophy so there is nothing to coach in terms of patterns of play, what we do with the ball etc. It’s just try to win the ball or wait for the other team to make a mistake in possession and counter attack - then it’s up to the forward players to work it out.

Steve Stone mentioned as much in a recent interview, think it was when we signed Lindstrom - we’re not a possession team so his pace on the counter attack will help the team - or words to that effect.

It’s terrible to watch, boring as hell, must be horrendous to play in if you’re a forward (equally great if you’re a defender as you’re protected well and there are no big gaps to expose) but ultimately, it can be effective at grinding out results. Imagine it’ll be much the same as last season, not too bothered by preseason results.
Generally, I think we should rather rely on counterattacks and pressing situational than try to make the game, it's better suited to the players available. I wish we would develop a direction of Simeone or Spain at Euros with direct-football, but a solid defense which is our showpiece when fully fit. Really enjoyed us watching because we got frustrated with our possession-game which became too predictable over the years...

We have to develop when it comes to making us better with the ball and improving our long-term problem, which is the lack of scoring goals, with hopefully better finishing than last season. We got 5 points in 9 games with 50 or more % possession.

It's certainly a bit result of the play style, but can't name many players that are technically good or even sufficient in this squad.

It's the same type of pre season as last season, poor opposition, under prepared, playing players who won't get a sniff come first day of the season, no plan, no tactics.....that all just feeds into pressure on the players come the first game of the season.

They're professional footballers, they should have spells in games where they look like professional footballers. We made Conventry look like Brazil for about 80% of the game yesterday and when we did get into great positions it usually broke down due to the likes of Harrison, Mcneil, Doucoure and DCL having the temperament and skill level of a 2 year old baby
And all 4 will start v Brighton. DCL the only one who may not, if he’s sold, which at the moment looks very unlikely

No I'm sorry, if we get another few transfers in like we're expecting with a striker / winger / CM etc then our expectations ARE NOT 4th from bottom.

Mid table is where he has to get us then.
That's what I said: 'He could get us AT LEAST 4th bottom'.

He has to get us at least 4th from bottom.

We all know he can do that.

That's where we are as a club.

I expect nothing in pre-season and neither am I concerned about it.

There are some people who've been bitten by the 'We're in crisis and we're going to go down' bug and they'll never recover from it...in fact, they probably enjoy it and would feel funny not being that way.
I'm definitely expecting higher than 4th from bottom
Without a points deduction there will be no excuse not to be higher

The fact he says we have done zero tactical work with only a few weeks until the season, is very worrying as much as he has done decently overall especially considering the chaos he has had to deal with off the field, I do think some fans protect him even when he doesn't get it right, he has flaws and tactical limitations. We shouldn't forget we had a fourteen game winless run last season

So Dyche's preseason is based on a long season, which he mentioned a few times last season when our form picked up at the end.
Maybe this fitness heavy focus is good for that, and good for a smaller squad which Dyche is used to dealing with. Our form did pick up relative to others dropping off at the business end of the season, but I would love for our target to be safe by February.
Expecting a slow start. Apparently Brighton are trying all sorts of tactical madness in preseason and at this stage our fitness focus will not be of any benefit.
I do think the Goodison factor will be strong this year though

So Dyche's preseason is based on a long season, which he mentioned a few times last season when our form picked up at the end.
Maybe this fitness heavy focus is good for that, and good for a smaller squad which Dyche is used to dealing with. Our form did pick up relative to others dropping off at the business end of the season, but I would love for our target to be safe by February.
Expecting a slow start. Apparently Brighton are trying all sorts of tactical madness in preseason and at this stage our fitness focus will not be of any benefit.
I do think the Goodison factor will be strong this year though
That's been a pattern in Dyche's managerial career for years. His Watford, Burnley and now Everton teams start seasons slowly & end strongly.

They should as well. There is one free slot where Doucoure may drop back for Onana - maybe.

I'll be annoyed if all the new signings are just parachuted in for a start.
I hope doucoure doesn’t drop back he’s an horrendous footballer, miss controlling the ball and giving it away, Is not so dangerous in the opposition’s half. In our half that will be a disaster.

If we wanting to improve our football, then Ndaiye would start behind the striker all day, but we all know it won’t happen, yes McNeil and Harrison will start, lets hope dyche has the balls to drop them if like last season the stink the gaff out the majority of the season

I hope doucoure doesn’t drop back he’s an horrendous footballer, miss controlling the ball and giving away, Is not so dangerous in tbe opposition’s half. In our half that will be a disaster.

If we wanting to improve our football, then Ndaiye would start behind the striker all day, but we all know it won’t happen, yes McNeil and Harrison will start, lets hope dyche has the balls to drop them if like last season the stink the gaff out the majority of the season

Hes never going to be Prilo and i never understand why people will him to be - they dont expect it of Idrissa or didnt with Onana, but he's important to the press and legs in the team mate - he's a leader and often sets the tempo and front foot fight - not to mention being our top scorer - the takes on him by some are weird. Be surprised if he's not in the 11. Weird thing is when we have possession based players and particularly central midfielders who can hold possession people call them crabs.

We may have signed better players -- though that remains to be seen - they need to earn their place and fight it out - we worked hard to develpp a culture here and if lads are dropped on merit in games then fair enough - but lads have to earn their places on the same merit when they get their chance - thats good management.

Last edited:
I think we will be ok. I remember in 2008, I think it was, and we lost to some team from Chicago. That was embarrassing. However, the actual season was pretty good. I had been freaking out but I’m not going to worry too much. To be fair to Dyche last season was difficult and he proved many of us wrong, including me. Deserves his chance.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back