2023/24 Sean Dyche

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's fair enough. But the performances in pre season shouldn't be any kind of barometer for measuring his overall performance.
Yeah I’ll save my reactions until we’ve played an actual game personally
My opinion on Dyche hasn’t differed since the last game of the season except I’m pretty happy with how the window has gone so far which he must play a part in

Considering a competitive ball hasn’t been kicked yet, and we’ve made some early signings, the negativity on this forum is absolutely outstanding. Posters frothing at the mouth calling for the manager to walk over pre-season football. It’s going to be a long season for people if they’re this angry already.

I don't like everything about Dyche but he's done really well under extraordinarily tough conditions. He deserves some time to show what he can do with a better group of players and more resources to address weaknesses in the team.

The club is being decisive in the transfer window, and on paper it looks like we've signed some good players so I'm pretty happy with where we are atm.

Yeah, we're looking poor in pre season but it doesn't mean much. We've played well in pre seasons before and been poor all season and vice versa. I don't care if we lose all our pre season games if we have a good season.

That's fair enough. But the performances in pre season shouldn't be any kind of barometer for measuring his overall performance.
no of course not, but they should be the barometer for measuring his preseason preparation
I bet we start slowly and he says the players not being 'fit fit' yet is the cause.

But, by his own admission he does nothing but fitness work in the run-up
Losing games to the opposition we've had must be confidence sapping

So he saves us from relegation in less than half a season.

Keeps us up in his first full season despite an 8 point deduction and actually improved the points total (even with the deduction).

All of this whilst his best players are sold and replaced with cheaper ones.

Yet you want him to ‘walk away because we’ve been outplayed in some pre-season games?
Its not just the fact of being beaten by far better lower class teams, its also the turgid football he plays. Most of last season was the same, even if he had Pele he would not know how to use him.

I know coventry has had more preseason matches recently as their season is about to start , but the way they were able to make ample subs and their rhythm was affected at all was astounding for someone who supports everton and the shambolic malaise extends beyond dyche's reign

I don't like everything about Dyche but he's done really well under extraordinarily tough conditions. He deserves some time to show what he can do with a better group of players and more resources to address weaknesses in the team.

The club is being decisive in the transfer window, and on paper it looks like we've signed some good players so I'm pretty happy with where we are atm.

Yeah, we're looking poor in pre season but it doesn't mean much. We've played well in pre seasons before and been poor all season and vice versa. I don't care if we lose all our pre season games if we have a good season.

There’s loads of stuff I genuinely don’t like about Dyche but the criticism of him is so wildly ridiculous that you end up getting painted as a disciple just for disagreeing with some ridiculous views. There’s a lot of stuff I don’t like:

His subs are often too late and too often like for like with no real tactical change.

The possession stats against poor teams even at home are too low

We’ve dropped points due to bad selection or not reacting to games, e.g leaving Young on yellow cards, or not taking Keane off when he’s a pen waiting to happen.

He plays some weird selections like Garner at right wing or at 10 instead of moving McNeil central and playing Danjuma or Dobbin out wide.

but every manager has good and bad points to them. I also think he’s:

Improved the condition of the team, we’re not getting season ending injuries every week and we’re not being outran by every team we face

Improved the set piece record. We used to have one of the worst, now we have one of the best. Is anyone even worried now when we concede a corner or free kick?

Improved the professionalism of the players. The days of players walking around, mouthing off at the fans, not working, not tracking, trying to unseat managers, not doing the basics are over and that’s long overdue at this club.

Improved the tactical discipline. I had no idea what we were trying to do in Lampard, Koeman and Silva’s final seasons. The players didn’t seem to know either. Completely wide open with no threat upfront. We now play a counter pressing game that the players are executing well. People might not like it but it’s undeniable that the players know what they’re supposed to be doing. 4th best defence in the league doesn’t happen without tactical discipline.

Doesn’t make excuses. DCL injury, Mina injury, expected losses, away form, the crowd, the referees. Heard them all used from other managers. Dyche doesn’t care, he makes use of what he has and gets on with it. We lose games of course but he doesn’t have the mentality that previous managers had that away games are difficult, or we should go for a point against top 6 teams etc. We try and play the exact same way we do in any game, sometimes we’ll get slapped for 5 by Arsenal doing that but it also results in beating Liverpool Chelsea Newcastle Arsenal, Brighton away.

There’s loads of stuff I genuinely don’t like about Dyche but the criticism of him is so wildly ridiculous that you end up getting painted as a disciple just for disagreeing with some ridiculous views. There’s a lot of stuff I don’t like:

His subs are often too late and too often like for like with no real tactical change.

The possession stats against poor teams even at home are too low

We’ve dropped points due to bad selection or not reacting to games, e.g leaving Young on yellow cards, or not taking Keane off when he’s a pen waiting to happen.

He plays some weird selections like Garner at right wing or at 10 instead of moving McNeil central and playing Danjuma or Dobbin out wide.

but every manager has good and bad points to them. I also think he’s:

Improved the condition of the team, we’re not getting season ending injuries every week and we’re not being outran by every team we face

Improved the set piece record. We used to have one of the worst, now we have one of the best. Is anyone even worried now when we concede a corner or free kick?

Improved the professionalism of the players. The days of players walking around, mouthing off at the fans, not working, not tracking, trying to unseat managers, not doing the basics are over and that’s long overdue at this club.

Improved the tactical discipline. I had no idea what we were trying to do in Lampard, Koeman and Silva’s final seasons. The players didn’t seem to know either. Completely wide open with no threat upfront. We now play a counter pressing game that the players are executing well. People might not like it but it’s undeniable that the players know what they’re supposed to be doing. 4th best defence in the league doesn’t happen without tactical discipline.

Doesn’t make excuses. DCL injury, Mina injury, expected losses, away form, the crowd, the referees. Heard them all used from other managers. Dyche doesn’t care, he makes use of what he has and gets on with it. We lose games of course but he doesn’t have the mentality that previous managers had that away games are difficult, or we should go for a point against top 6 teams etc. We try and play the exact same way we do in any game, sometimes we’ll get slapped for 5 by Arsenal doing that but it also results in beating Liverpool Chelsea Newcastle Arsenal, Brighton away.

You couldn't have done a better job of summing up his strengths and weaknesses. Pretty much exactly how I feel about him overall.

I think he deserves time to see what he can do. Not really of the view that once we move to BMD we just ditch him and get someone 'cooler' in.

He should be judged on the resources he's given and I think most reasonable fans will back him unless he starts underperforming in relation to that.

So true.

It's all about expecations - some (like me) comparing him to Lampard/Benitez are relieved he is here - some who compare him to the better footballing teams around us are fed up with him.

He has earned some sort of opportunity to improve this season - I may change sides by Jan or June.

So true.

It's all about expecations - some (like me) comparing him to Lampard/Benitez are relieved he is here - some who compare him to the better footballing teams around us are fed up with him.

He has earned some sort of opportunity to improve this season - I may change sides by Jan or June.
Agreed, not a fan at all, but he should be given at least till Jan, as you say, he earned that, for sure.

I don't want him gone, my main gripe is that I think He is wasting these pre-season games. Like I've said before, they should be used to work on things with the team as well as match fitness. We haven't got a lot of friendlies and so far we've looked like a team who have just met on the park.

If he's over training them to the point of exhaustion so much that they can't play a game then that's a bit daft. I just find it a waste of games when they should be used more effectively. Results don't matter but christ give us something to work with it's dire.

We looked poor for large swathes of last season. Dyche doesn't want the ball, he let's the opposition have it then looks to counter and gain set pieces. It's football by numbers and it ain't pretty but he is what he is. If we can go on a run then top ten is possible because imo outside the top 5 or 6 sides the rest are much of a muchness

The love in for him is mental.

He kept us up, bravo, so did Lampard. Doing his bit but he’s limited and will need replacing eventually if we want to go anywhere.
Think the key is to judge that moment when the time is right to shake hands and move on is.

I've banned myself from any Dyche criticism until at least December due to the Derby success and the points total he amassed last year. It may be a hard few months for me, but i do agree....there will be a point were we need to move on to either a)progress or b) save our skin

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back