2023/24 Sean Dyche

Status
Not open for further replies.
This thread could do with a poll.

There is such a stark polarisation.

There only seem to be two camps:

1. Hate the man and his football
2. Accept that this is the best path forward while the club is still in shambles.

I wouldn't even call it polarisation, that would involve a third option of "I love the guy, love the football, we'll win the league in 2 years" which I don't think anyone believes.

Are those stats more or less important than the one that says 48 points and what that league position would have been?

If we’d have won a game smack in the middle of that period but then lost one at the end of the season would the fate of the club have been any different?

Over 38 games he was level with De Zerbi and Iraola. Ahead of Silva, O’Neill, Frank, Nuno, Kompany, Edwards, and Wilder. They’re the only stats that matter.

I would say going on a run like that is different to winning games dotted around… it shows that over a 4 month period . He didn’t change tactics , Barely changed the team and could not find a way to get a win. If the promoted teams wernt as bad as they were we would have been sunk and he still didn’t change anything .

That is a worry for me personally

We also had the fourth best defence in the league, would have finished 12th without the points deduction level with everyone's favourite 'entertainers' Brighton

Also had two runs of form either side of the horrid run were we went 6-1-1 (Man United loss was undeserved) with four wins on the road and 5-1-1 at another period (Chelsea hammering the only loss but the first derby win in god knows how long at Goodison).

So either side of that long winless run we we 11-2-2 on results, yet critics never acknowledge that part

It’s the fact that he never changed his approach at all unless injury forced his hand that concerns me.

Home or away, no matter who the opposition , you could predict our tactics and starting line up depending on injuries

Yeah, he is and if we were a top club (result wise) and some still think here, we wouldn't have a manager in this category.

In the end, in a normal season we wouldn't even have been in the relegation battle in the crucial phase. The closest we were was 9 points between game day 15-38, with a good goal difference and a few teams around us. Doesn't mean I accept going 12 games without a mean.

Last season was a weird one all around, before that bad run we had the first points deduction and the team really responded and gave everything to go on a great run, but deffo took it out of them a bit, then the deflation of the cup exit followed by the Christmas period of a lot of games coming thick and fast and the team was running on empty for about 2 and a half months.

Didn't help the fact we had one of the smallest first team squads in the league and it showed during that period massively. It's why we badly need some options so we don't repeat the exact same thing - especially as Dyche really doesn't like to use subs often either (looking at the options mind can't blame him half the time)

It’s the fact that he never changed his approach at all unless injury forced his hand that concerns me.

Home or away, no matter who the opposition , you could predict our tactics and starting line up depending on injuries
You know that man has had the same breakfast every day for the last 40 years

Yup, he's inflexible at worst and pragmatic at best, he drills them in a very specific way of playing - aimed it seems at not getting mullered by good teams away and keeps the same philosophy v poorer teams too.

That's why I'm certainly not fan of Dyche, it's frustrating as hell to watch at times, but equally I got way more frustrated watching us in Bobbies last season getting torn apart being wide open as well, or Lampard (shudder)

There only seem to be two camps:

1. Hate the man and his football
2. Accept that this is the best path forward while the club is still in shambles.

I wouldn't even call it polarisation, that would involve a third option of "I love the guy, love the football, we'll win the league in 2 years" which I don't think anyone believes.

Dont think so mate, i think there is a good few i think who would be happy to continue with him to see where the ceiling is and the context of that when he recovers the club.

That would be where i would land personally.

We all know there are certain names that Dyche has already on the teamsheet. In fact he likely just has this line up photocopied and fills in the blanks with whoeer is available week to week....

Pickford
Coleman - Tarkowski - Branthwaite - _____________
____________ - Garner - Gana - McNeil
Doucoure
DCL

Anyone can criticise Dyche as much as they want but it’s just turned into making stuff up about those on here who do support him.
Again.. is my criticism of the football/style of play not allowed? Lots of people have criticised the hoofball but you seem hell bent on ensuring them and I are wrong. Just because you don’t agree you can’t class it as ‘making stuff up’

I would say going on a run like that is different to winning games dotted around… it shows that over a 4 month period . He didn’t change tactics , Barely changed the team and could not find a way to get a win. If the promoted teams wernt as bad as they were we would have been sunk and he still didn’t change anything .

That is a worry for me personally

This is just a hypothetical though. Even with an 8 points deduction he posted a points total that is highly highly unlikely to take you down no matter the quality of the newly promoted teams. It’s an extremely unlucky year if you’re going down with 40 points.

Even then, for us to go down last season it would have needed all of Luton to be 15 points better off, Burnley to be 17, and Sheffield United to be 25 points better off all the same time. Even with the points deduction we finished ahead of Brentford and Forest.

48 points makes it irrelevant whatever quality the bottom 3 are. I’d have much rather have had Luton Burnley and Sheffield United the season before last rather than Leicester of Maddison Tielemans Vardy Barnes, Leeds and Southampton who were all much better sides than the teams that came up but even against a high quality bottom three Dyche still kept us up despite starting behind some of them and having inferior players and worse fixtures.

Yup, he's inflexible at worst and pragmatic at best, he drills them in a very specific way of playing - aimed it seems at not getting mullered by good teams away and keeps the same philosophy v poorer teams too.

That's why I'm certainly not fan of Dyche, it's frustrating as hell to watch at times, but equally I got way more frustrated watching us in Bobbies last season getting torn apart being wide open as well, or Lampard (shudder)

The best managers are inflexible. They just don't typically play counter attacking football.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back