2023/24 Sean Dyche

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ultimately, xG means nothing if you don’t get the result. For a team in our position that has scraped safety 2 years in a row, it’s only points on the board that really matters.

As being able to say that we should have scored X number more goals won’t keep you up at the end of a season.

One of our worst ever starts to a season, it’s hardly a surprise people haven’t been happy. Hopefully we can get a couple of home wins in the next 2 games and everything can relax a little.

I used that in the context of explaining why there's no revisionism in terms of saying performances before Brentford were good. The stats say that, at least in terms of performance, there have been two equally good ones.

Yes, results are all that matter, but in the longer term performances will usually mean better results.

Let's see what we do on Saturday against Luton. I'll judge last night's insistence on taking that cup seriously as a good move by him ONLY if we get all three points.

If we don't get 3 points then beating Villa last night will have been an expensive mistake.
No-one was injured, the club made some money and players and fans face Luton with more confidence. Shut up you miseryarse.

Let's see what we do on Saturday against Luton. I'll judge last night's insistence on taking that cup seriously as a good move by him ONLY if we get all three points.

If we don't get 3 points then beating Villa last night will have been an expensive mistake.

…I’m not sure I get that correlation. Even if we lose against Luton, we might well have lost regardless of the team selection last night.

Doucoure, Gueye, McNeil and Young are regular starters who were left out last night, Harrison almost certainly benefited from a run and Dyche seemed measured in bringing DCL, Onana and Harrison off at specific times. He was able to see Onana in partnership with Gana as well as knowing he has an alternative defensive shape if required.

Seems like it was a calculated approach where the benefits far outweighed throwing the 2nd X1 in.

I think he got it right regardless of Luton.

Very pleased with last 2 performances but need to take this momentum into the game on Saturday.
We have to be on the front foot from the first whistle and get the crowd right behind the team and then give Luton a taste of the real Goodison “experience”.

…I’m not sure I get that correlation. Even if we lose against Luton, we might well have lost regardless of the team selection last night.

Doucoure, Gueye, McNeil and Young are regular starters who were left out last night, Harrison almost certainly benefited from a run and Dyche seemed measured in bringing DCL, Onana and Harrison off at specific times. He was able to see Onana in partnership with Gana as well as knowing he has an alternative defensive shape if required.

Seems like it was a calculated approach where the benefits far outweighed throwing the 2nd X1 in.

I think he got it right regardless of Luton.
Well you believe Mykolenko to have hobbled off at HT, so that could conceivably have a big impact on who and how we play.

If we can’t beat Luton at home then we really are in bother. A solid 3-0 win would be nice like.
Any win is fine, I'd like us to win to nil, we need a clean sheet.

Luton will come to frustrate, if we score early we should be able to get 2/3. If it's still 0-0 60/70mins everyone will start to worry a little, same tactic as Fulham/Wolves had, stay in the game and our fans get impatient.

Ultimately, xG means nothing if you don’t get the result. For a team in our position that has scraped safety 2 years in a row, it’s only points on the board that really matters.

As being able to say that we should have scored X number more goals won’t keep you up at the end of a season.

One of our worst ever starts to a season, it’s hardly a surprise people haven’t been happy. Hopefully we can get a couple of home wins in the next 2 games and everything can relax a little.

For me, xG is an indication of how well a team rides it’s luck…

Mmm dunno about that. Finishing 16th and winning the BS cup would be acceptable. Just cannot lose to any more ‘bottom 6’ teams home or away IMO

For me, xG is an indication of how well a team rides it’s luck…

Pretty much

Let's say, for the sake of argument, that last night plays out EXACTLY as it did, with two major exceptions

1) instead of scoring, Garner skews his shot wide of the near post

2) instead of scoring, DCL hits the post with that near post finish

That's two kicks of a football, but we end up losing the game - however, everything else has gone exactly the same. We've still been the better side, but we've lost - I guarantee you that everyone here would be back to "Dyche out" today on the strength of those two kicks of a football not quite going ojr way, rather than the acceptance today that we played well

It's mad - a football game can be won our lost on tiny margins, but xG is an indication (not the only one) of how the game panned out. It's never as simple as saying that you played well if you win and you didn't if you lose, as per the example above.

We've played equally as well this season and lost, that's the bit I keep coming back to. The law of averages said that if we put in a number of performances like the one against Fulham or the one against Sheff Utd, we'd win our fair share of points.

Our bad start was a combination of three things:

1. - poor prep (that's on Sean and the whole club)
  2. - not having key players available (bit of bad luck, plus the above)
  3. - mentality
Can't do much about about the first now, but I have respect for people that are honest and fix their mistakes, i.e.

The second issue - We've now got DCL, Beto, McNeil, and Danjuma, Harrison, Garner, Myko et al coming good. We have a threat, and they're putting a shift in. You can create you're own luck in sport. Work and do the right thing often enough and the chips will fall your way sometimes too.

Crucially this improved effort and team shape has yielded a couple of better results, so for the first time in ages we can actually go into a game with expectation (i.e. pressure!!) and confidence being a little more balanced.

The Fulham sucker punch really drained us of that, we'd played well. But it really exposed the team for what it was. I respect the way Sean and the squad are starting to turn that around and they now have a really good couple of games before next break to put that to the test.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back