2023/24 Sean Dyche

Status
Not open for further replies.
There wasn’t mate, the reaction was correct.

It had nothing to do with getting beat, it was the complete lack of performance and unbelievable negativity in how he setup the team to almost accept defeat.

I’m glad he’s got a response from the team. Anymore of that Arsenal type setup would see the majority of the fans base demand his removal, because in no world was that acceptable for a premier league club
Prior to Brentford, we had had 2 good performances against wolves and Fulham. But were beyond rubbish against villa, arsenal and even Doncaster. Sheffield wasn’t particularly good either considering how poor they are and we scraped a point.

It wasn’t an overreaction to arsenal, we had been poor in 4 out of 6 games and were on 1 point in the league.

I’m glad he has got 2 consecutive performances and results and hope it continues and he proves my trepidation at keeping him on wrong. But seems to be some revisionism that our performances prior to Brentford have been good this season without the results.

Last edited:
He can get himself in great positions but he's a shocking footballer who can't control a ball 90% of the time.

We've created a lot more and looked threatening without his... uh.. running? And will play more cohesively as a team - absolutely 0 chance he spots some of those runs and passes Harrison produced in the first half.
He's a weird player really.

A lot of the time he barely looks able to kick a ball and then he does something brilliant out of nowhere.

Prior to Brentford, we had had 2 good performances against wolves and Fulham. But were beyond rubbish against villa, arsenal and even Doncaster. Sheffield wasn’t particularly good either considering how poor they are and we scraped a point.

I’m glad he has got 2 consecutive performances and results and hope it continues and he proves my trepidation at keeping him on wrong. But seems to be some revisionism that our performances prior to Brentford have been good this season without the results.

Fulham - Good
Villa - Dreadful
Doncaster - Dreadful
Wolves - Good
Sheff Utd - Decent (deserved to win)
Arsenal - Defended well, awful with the ball (but caveat here should be added re the fact we nearly went down last season and they nearly won the league)

Prior to Brentford it was more good than bad this season, so I don't think that's revisionism, but the context you need to add there is how that compares to most of last seasons performances and that's the bit that gets missed I think - personally I think there's been generally a v significant improvement in performances vs last year and that's what has pleased me, even before the last couple of results came

….for me, it’s not so much about the two victories, it’s the manner of the wins away from home against teams notoriously difficult to beat.

Fluidity in shape, players joining the attack and getting beyond the striker from midfield, controlling football matches, carrying threat and looking relatively comfortable at the back. Very encouraging from Dyche.
Agree. Was worrying that he didnt have anything tactically about him but last 2 games have given me some hope.

The shape last night with 3 cb's was first time it actually looked proper in that shape. Players close together and all knew their roles. Like watching most teams every week against us.

Think hes selection on saturday will be massive to see if he has identified what we need at home as away from home we have a couple of blueprints. Its these games at home where we will have more of the ball will be the test

Fulham - Good
Villa - Dreadful
Doncaster - Dreadful
Wolves - Good
Sheff Utd - Decent (deserved to win)
Arsenal - Defended well, awful with the ball (but caveat here should be added re the fact we nearly went down last season and they nearly won the league)

Prior to Brentford it was more good than bad this season, so I don't think that's revisionism, but the context you need to add there is how that compares to most of last seasons performances and that's the bit that gets missed I think - personally I think there's been generally a v significant improvement in performances vs last year and that's what has pleased me, even before the last couple of results came
Personally, I’m not sure we were that much better than Sheffield to be honest. And they are horrendous, so even if we did deserve to win, we didn’t and they are really garbage.

And arsenal, defended well because we had zero desire to get anyone out of our half, and sat so deep.

I think there has been an improvement over performances last year but that just validates why I was on the fence with keeping him. Like I say, happy for him to prove me wrong, but two good results is only the start of that.

I thought after the home derby 0-0 last season that we would comfortably avoid relegation under Lampard.

These two performances have been encouraging and overall I think Dyche has done ok. I certainly do not want to see circumstances brought about where sacking him is a necessary / viable option.

We have to get results at home starting immediately on Saturday. That is an absolute and he has to find ways to win those games. Keeping Dom fit is pivotal to that.

It's always one game at a time with this team as cliched as that is.

Personally, I’m not sure we were that much better than Sheffield to be honest. And they are horrendous, so even if we did deserve to win, we didn’t and they are really garbage.

And arsenal, defended well because we had zero desire to get anyone out of our half, and sat so deep.

I think there has been an improvement over performances last year but that just validates why I was on the fence with keeping him. Like I say, happy for him to prove me wrong, but two good results is only the start of that.

I don't know how much credibility you give to xG stats - I personally tend to think that they're a good indicator about how well teams are doing in terms of creating chances and in terms of minimising them against themselves, but it only tells part of a story.

That being the case, our xG this season makes interesting reading

Everton 0 - 1 Fulham
(xG 2.59 - 1.58)

Aston Villa 4 - 0 Everton
(xG 3.24 - 0.72)

Everton 0 - 1 Wolverhampton Wanderers
(xG 1.90 - 1.40)

Sheffield United 2 - 2 Everton
(xG 1.57 - 2.74)

Everton 0 - 1 Arsenal
(xG 0.28 - 0.80)

Brentford 1 - 3 Everton
(xG 1.57 - 2.51)

Interestingly enough, those figures marry up with what my eyes were telling me in terms of how the games have gone, but in reality because we are all so skewed by the result being the only thing that matters, Dyche is only getting credit for the Brentford game when really we were equally dominant against Fulham and Sheffield United

Great result last night against a good side, with Dyche showing tactical flexibility. They didn't deserve to be back in it and it shouldn't have been so nervy a the end.

Such a difference to have a near fully fit squad providing options and good striking options.

A long time since we've had problems over who to select and now Dyche needs to select the right team and formation to break down Luton, we need another dominant performance and can't get complacent.

Let's see what we do on Saturday against Luton. I'll judge last night's insistence on taking that cup seriously as a good move by him ONLY if we get all three points.

If we don't get 3 points then beating Villa last night will have been an expensive mistake.

I don't know how much credibility you give to xG stats - I personally tend to think that they're a good indicator about how well teams are doing in terms of creating chances and in terms of minimising them against themselves, but it only tells part of a story.

That being the case, our xG this season makes interesting reading

Everton 0 - 1 Fulham
(xG 2.59 - 1.58)

Aston Villa 4 - 0 Everton
(xG 3.24 - 0.72)

Everton 0 - 1 Wolverhampton Wanderers
(xG 1.90 - 1.40)

Sheffield United 2 - 2 Everton
(xG 1.57 - 2.74)

Everton 0 - 1 Arsenal
(xG 0.28 - 0.80)

Brentford 1 - 3 Everton
(xG 1.57 - 2.51)

Interestingly enough, those figures marry up with what my eyes were telling me in terms of how the games have gone, but in reality because we are all so skewed by the result being the only thing that matters, Dyche is only getting credit for the Brentford game when really we were equally dominant against Fulham and Sheffield United
Ultimately, xG means nothing if you don’t get the result. For a team in our position that has scraped safety 2 years in a row, it’s only points on the board that really matters.

As being able to say that we should have scored X number more goals won’t keep you up at the end of a season.

One of our worst ever starts to a season, it’s hardly a surprise people haven’t been happy. Hopefully we can get a couple of home wins in the next 2 games and everything can relax a little.

I thought after the home derby 0-0 last season that we would comfortably avoid relegation under Lampard.

These two performances have been encouraging and overall I think Dyche has done ok. I certainly do not want to see circumstances brought about where sacking him is a necessary / viable option.

We have to get results at home starting immediately on Saturday. That is an absolute and he has to find ways to win those games. Keeping Dom fit is pivotal to that.

It's always one game at a time with this team as cliched as that is.
Absolutely. Tbh I’d swap last nights win for 3 points in the next PL game but back to back away wins is a good achievement. Can’t remember the last time we did that. Maybe under Ancelotti?

As ever, he’ll be judged by results. Put a few wins together and the pressure is off for a while. Get a few good results and that opens a bit of a gap between us and the relegation places. Hopefully the momentum that is building carries on and maybe we’ll be okay this season.

Let's see what we do on Saturday against Luton. I'll judge last night's insistence on taking that cup seriously as a good move by him ONLY if we get all three points.

If we don't get 3 points then beating Villa last night will have been an expensive mistake.

I actually agree - I think taking the game last night as seriously as we did was a gamble and I'd have preferred we didn't, but if we win on Saturday and we don't end up with any injuries as a result of the two games in a week, then it's a calculated gamble which has paid off

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back