2023/24 Sean Dyche

Status
Not open for further replies.
Doucoure has been a success in that position! 7 goals in his last 16 games
He can get himself in great positions but he's a shocking footballer who can't control a ball 90% of the time.

We've created a lot more and looked threatening without his... uh.. running? And will play more cohesively as a team - absolutely 0 chance he spots some of those runs and passes Harrison produced in the first half.

Doucoure has been one of our best players since Dyche came in, I don’t think it’s fair to single him out.
Opinions and all, but I said why above too like - he offers running to a team in the buildup, can’t spot a pass. He gets where he needs to be to score, but he’s still horrible with the ball.

Remember Jelavic when he came in? Can’t pass 5 yards but knew how to slot, similar thing, except Jela was a striker and didn’t have to play with the ball as much.

He's learned some lessons already this season but now is the time to show that he won't go back into old, poor habits.

Namely:
When playing a back four, it's Tarkowski and Branthwaite when fit.
Garner is not, and never will be, a right winger. He's arguably our best centre midfielder and must start there when fit.
Onana must start over Gueye, and excels when he's not playing next to him.
Playing all four of Doucoure, Garner, Onana and Gueye - four central midfielders - won't work out well in most games.
We have enough goals in us even playing just one striker up top as long as we're not decimated by injuries on the wing.

I think the next lesson will be that Danjuma becomes first option off the bench to replace McNeil or Harrison.

We finally have a squad and it is showing, but the manager has to make the right calls to get the most out of it and not revert to his failed formations and selections that made him one of the worst points per game managers in our history.

Pending injuries, I think he can take us to 8th-12th this season, but seeing as the prize is essentially the same for the fans (nothing, and no additional prize money is likely to go on new players) then I'll accept anything 17th up still.

Just get to us Bramley and take it from there, although obviously the strong preference is to go there as an established top half side and enter with strong positivity amongst the team and fans.

Opinions and all, but I said why above too like - he offers running to a team in the buildup, can’t spot a pass. He gets where he needs to be to score, but he’s still horrible with the ball.

Remember Jelavic when he came in? Can’t pass 5 yards but knew how to slot, similar thing, except Jela was a striker and didn’t have to play with the ball as much.
Like you say, all opinions - but genuinely, I think his ball control has improved in the last 12 months - I even commented on it the other day. He took his goal beautifully, superb technique.

This is similar to getting an erection in your sleep but not being able to show up when it matters most. We know we have the capacity but mentally let ourselves down. Now Everton have shown they can get an erection we need it full on all the time.

….for me, it’s not so much about the two victories, it’s the manner of the wins away from home against teams notoriously difficult to beat.

Fluidity in shape, players joining the attack and getting beyond the striker from midfield, controlling football matches, carrying threat and looking relatively comfortable at the back. Very encouraging from Dyche.

Got it absolutely bang on last two games.

Let’s be real, there was a massive overreaction to losing to Arsenal - bounced back really strong though.

If he can get Onana bossing midfields like last night we’ll be more than sound.
There wasn’t mate, the reaction was correct.

It had nothing to do with getting beat, it was the complete lack of performance and unbelievable negativity in how he setup the team to almost accept defeat.

I’m glad he’s got a response from the team. Anymore of that Arsenal type setup would see the majority of the fans base demand his removal, because in no world was that acceptable for a premier league club

….for me, it’s not so much about the two victories, it’s the manner of the wins away from home against teams notoriously difficult to beat.

Fluidity in shape, players joining the attack and getting beyond the striker from midfield, controlling football matches, carrying threat and looking relatively comfortable at the back. Very encouraging from Dyche.
Similarly, my vague optimism about us being OK this season hasn't really been based off the last two games. The Fulham, Wolves and Sheff Utd games all made me think there was enough there and that we were likely to be ok. Think Dyche has worked out how to make us a threat and the stats were telling us that the ball should eventually go in the net.

Nobody should be getting ideas above their station, but this is a tighter, more cohesive unit than we've had in a couple of years. Dyche and, to a lesser extent, Thelwell take some credit here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back