2023/24 Sean Dyche

Status
Not open for further replies.
….Doucoure was poor today but having somebody who gets ahead of the striker one minute and then blocks a shot on the edge of the box is a plus for the manager and his teammates. He must be a nuisance to play against, if he was consistently good in possession he wouldn’t be at Everton. Certainly not pretty but certainly effective.

I want him to be able to do this for more than 45 minutes though.

All opinions isn't it mate.

He's bloody dreadful imo, actually has options on the bench and refused to use them and just invited so much pressure that wasn't needed. Want to play on the counter? Take that carthorse Doucoure off then and put a player there who can actually control a ball and do something with it.

It’s the big picture for me. He did well to keep us up last season and I think he easily has us up this season. Build a decent base whilst we sort out the ownership issues, get out the FFP mess, and move into the stadium without the threat of relegation and changing manager every 9 months.

He’s a competent football manager that the players actually seem to work for and we seem to be doing better with managing injuries and recruiting a different profile of player.

I’m happy to let Dyche hit his ceiling with us and then take our time to recruit the manager we want from a much more attractive position rather than getting into these stupid crisis death spirals when fans are lobbing names like Rooney or Ferguson around and we’re just hitting up any manager who’s available and they’re naming their price even though they don’t really want to be here.

….Doucoure was poor today but having somebody who gets ahead of the striker one minute and then blocks a shot on the edge of the box is a plus for the manager and his teammates. He must be a nuisance to play against, if he was consistently good in possession he wouldn’t be at Everton. Certainly not pretty but certainly effective.

He was bloody dreadful eggs, not poor. Every single move breaks down once he's in possession.

I get it, he's a goal threat and "runs around" a lot. But today after 70 minutes he's got to freshen it up. We've actually got options and he's made 1 substitution. On another day we don't get that clean sheet and win.

Embarrassing how limited he is as a manager but I guess this is the level/standard we are at.

Got it spot on today but team looked very tired as the game went on. Bit worrying that he watched Doucoure, Harrison and McNeil after 70 minutes and didn't think he had anyone on the bench to replace them. Feel like Doucoure especially was gone after 55 minutes, he had nothing left to give outside of bursts here and there which usually ended up with lazily giving the ball away.

I like Dyche and think he'll do well for us but I do fear he worries that once something is going right making a change for the sake of fitness like that will ruin it. I still back him 100% though, it's a squad and fitness issue rather than a manager issue.

I just think he did this because most of West Ham’s threat comes from crosses into the box. McNeill and Harrison block crosses, they weren’t offering much the other way by the end but they are diligent in not letting much come into the area.

It proved to be the right call as we won the game. We could have brought on Danjuma and he might have made it 2-0 and we’re all laughing, or he just doesn’t work back on one cross and we throw away 2 points and this forum is calling for Dyche out.

When we get edged out by a goal it’s treated on here as a convincing loss, so when we win by a goal we have to give the manager credit.

It’s the big picture for me. He did well to keep us up last season and I think he easily has us up this season. Build a decent base whilst we sort out the ownership issues, get out the FFP mess, and move into the stadium without the threat of relegation and changing manager every 9 months.

He’s a competent football manager that the players actually seem to work for and we seem to be doing better with managing injuries and recruiting a different profile of player.

I’m happy to let Dyche hit his ceiling with us and then take our time to recruit the manager we want from a much more attractive position rather than getting into these stupid crisis death spirals when fans are lobbing names like Rooney or Ferguson around and we’re just hitting up any manager who’s available and they’re naming their price even though they don’t really want to be here.

Good post mate and I'd say competent is being kind but I get it.

A lot of it is turgid, miserable, thoughtless football but like I've just put it my previous post to Eggs, this is the standard/level we are at.

Made up with the win, not happy that he made that a lot harder than it needed to be today.

I just think he did this because most of West Ham’s threat comes from crosses into the box. McNeill and Harrison block crosses, they weren’t offering much the other way by the end but they are diligent in not letting much come into the area.

It proved to be the right call as we won the game. We could have brought on Danjuma and he might have made it 2-0 and we’re all laughing, or he just doesn’t work back on one cross and we throw away 2 points and this forum is calling for Dyche out.

When we get edged out by a goal it’s treated on here as a convincing loss, so when we win by a goal we have to give the manager credit.
You’re 100% and I’m not really criticising, more so just making an observation. Think it was a great result and performance, manager got it totally correct and managed the game well.

Feels like something he'll never change but the fullbacks were way too narrow again. Our fullbacks can never close their man down before they get a shot/cross away.

A layoff from Paqueta(?) instead of that bicycle kick or a better finish from Bowen at the near post and we'd be screwed today. Just too dangerous an area to concede so many chances from.

I think it's fair to give Dyche credit.

We have beaten away from home Brighton, Villa, Brentford and West Ham in recent months. Our away form must be at worst mid table worthy.

When was the last time we did that?

I think we also need to remember that he has improved our injury record by a fair bit. Maybe the Dyche fitness is about preparation and prevention rather than anything else.

Our home form needs to improve but everything needed to improve and their is signs it is doing so.

Good post mate and I'd say competent is being kind but I get it.

A lot of it is turgid, miserable, thoughtless football but like I've just put it my previous post to Eggs, this is the standard/level we are at.

Made up with the win, not happy that he made that a lot harder than it needed to be today.

Whilst players like Keane Gueye Doucoure (and sadly Coleman at times) are at the club and making match day squads I’ve put aside any idea of quality football, they can barely find a pass between them Onana Mykolenko Tarkowski and DCL are often not much better on the ball either.

At least the team is starting to work hard though, stay fit, fight for points again and look like they have a semblance of organisation on set pieces.

I just can’t be going back to the dark days of the ends of Koeman, Silva, Carlo, Benitez and Lampard when Everton players were walking around the pitch, half heartedly dangling legs out, not picking up men on set pieces, just playing suicide balls and making stupid decisions, and getting crocked every single week.

Sure we’re absolute light years away from Baines Pienaar Arteta Osman Cahill just ripping teams new ones with brilliant interchange and movement but I’d take a cautious step back towards that as a starting point and anything that moves us away from those days of teams just punting us 4 or 5 every other week running past statues on the pitch.

Sensible post.

Feels like something he'll never change but the fullbacks were way too narrow again. Our fullbacks can never close their man down before they get a shot/cross away.

A layoff from Paqueta(?) instead of that bicycle kick or a better finish from Bowen at the near post and we'd be screwed today. Just too dangerous an area to concede so many chances from.
Nothing wrong with the full backs at all. Shaper was excellent hence why they created very little with talented forward players.

Nothing wrong with the full backs at all. Shaper was excellent hence why they created very little with talented forward players.
With a win it doesn't feel as concerning, but it's an area teams have targeted this season (Villa 4-0 being the worst case for it).

It worries me that there's been no improvement in our weakest area and that we rely on good individual performances from the centre backs and Pickford than a concrete plan.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back