2023/24 Sean Dyche

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think it's fair to give Dyche credit.

We have beaten away from home Brighton, Villa, Brentford and West Ham in recent months. Our away form must be at worst mid table worthy.

When was the last time we did that?

I think we also need to remember that he has improved our injury record by a fair bit. Maybe the Dyche fitness is about preparation and prevention rather than anything else.

Our home form needs to improve but everything needed to improve and their is signs it is doing so.
My take on the fitness bit is how many hammies or stress injuries are we picking up. Those derail our seasons constantly and so far we are avoiding them. We’ll see if that continues but so far so good.

My last memory of Bill Kenwright was when he was collared in the car park at West Ham United by a reporter asking him if he was about to remove Frank Lampard as manager. That was our most recent visit to the London Stadium, as recently as January. That team was the worst I have ever seen in Everton blue - capable of losing to just about anyone. Over the previous month, embarrassing late defeats at home to Wolves and Southampton sandwiched a capitulation to Brighton (though we did earn a freak point at City thanks to a similarly freakish goal and some decent stubbornness). But we should remember quite how feeble we were only 9 months ago. Today, we have gone to West Ham and done a number on them. We've beaten Bournemouth and Brentford this season as well. Yes, we have embarrassed ourselves at home to Luton, but there's a threat in this side now that was not there in late 2022.

There is no doubt a significant improvement - and this has happened in incredibly trying circumstances. We will have many more difficult days, but I no longer feel the side is a hopeless cause. Things may not exactly be looking up. but they are definitely looking less bleak.
I only come on this thread after games for the comedy value, but I have to admit it's a relief to read a post as sensible as this on the Dyche thread as I was starting to think it was an online forum for the hard of thinking. Comparing today's visit to West Ham with January's is a perfect barometer of the progress we have made.

But there'll be people frothing on about Luton Home when we're comfortable 10th in February.

Their is much evidence which suggests the Dyche infamous fitness regime has had an impact on our lads.

DCL being the prime piece.
My thinking. The best players in the world often have miraculous fitness records and it’s because they take care of their bodies. If you can get a whole squad to do that, then it makes a massive difference. The worst thing for a team is having to chop and change all of the time and lose continuity.

Dyche knows how to set up a team for the occasion. I can’t really argue with any performance except for arsenal where we made no attempt to attack

One of the big things he really needs credit for though is his handling of Dom. Dom should be very grateful that Dyche came in when he did and actually knew how to manage a player back unlike Benitez and Lampard who played him as soon as he was half fit

And these six games have included Arsenal, Brentford, Liverpool and West ham...

1698596473669.webp

Dyche knows how to set up a team for the occasion. I can’t really argue with any performance except for arsenal where we made no attempt to attack

One of the big things he really needs credit for though is his handling of Dom. Dom should be very grateful that Dyche came in when he did and actually knew how to manage a player back unlike Benitez and Lampard who played him as soon as he was half fit

Agree with this and Mykolenko and Branthwaite look to really benefit from his management.

Onana and Garner as well...even if its taken him a while to see it.

Hopefully Patterson the next to improve under him

Weak points:

Team Selection
Subs

Alright so on to the cup game. Last time Dyche did a wonderful job experimenting and getting the result. I do think we need to as a squad find a good plan B and the cup is a perfect time to look for it. Would like to see a decently rotated squad and a different look in the next game. Maybe Beto and Chermo or 3 at the back again- I would like to see a bit of experimentation here while trying to get a result.

I only come on this thread after games for the comedy value, but I have to admit it's a relief to read a post as sensible as this on the Dyche thread as I was starting to think it was an online forum for the hard of thinking. Comparing today's visit to West Ham with January's is a perfect barometer of the progress we have made.

But there'll be people frothing on about Luton Home when we're comfortable 10th in February.
Huge progress in my eyes and a feeling of growing confidence and some stability (on pitch), only the absolute biggest haters will deny it!
Off pitch is business as usual shambles.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back