Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

2023/24 Sean Dyche

Status
Not open for further replies.
Brighton didn't play particularly bad today and only got a point off a fluked goal...if that can happen, finishing above 10 can happen...we just have to get the issue of dropping points to the Luton's of the league out of our vocabulary, an issue for too long.
Get yourself to the bookies and what odds you get I will give you double, there not a chance we finish above Brighton

Yep, they were all decent but imo he is a better individual. Only in todays total football fashion would you consider Stones a better defender, he is certainly not as I perceive a defender.

It’s not just me though. Stones is a guaranteed starter for England and has been for multiple tournaments and has played pretty much constantly for Man City who can buy any centre back in the world they want.

Tarkowski went for free from Burnley to Everton and has a handful of England caps none in tournaments.

I get the point you’re making about some of Stones’ lapses during his time at Everton and maybe his concentration if he was in a total siege of his penalty area for 90 mins, but there’s not many scenarios in football where I’d rather have Tarkowski over John Stones.

Add to that at least one much better wide player . Harrison and McNeil work hard but are both limited footballers

Agree with this point a lot. Made more limited by the fact the full backs playing behind them are never going to provide proper support throughout the 90 minutes.

They are good for this Dyche system though and make us difficult to break down. It's just if we want to reverse today's trend and take the game to the likes of Brighton we'd need a lot more quality.

Brighton didn't play particularly bad today and only got a point off a fluked goal...if that can happen, finishing above 10 can happen...we just have to get the issue of dropping points to the Luton's of the league out of our vocabulary, an issue for too long.

Pep’s Man City lost to Norwich, Pep’s prime Barcelona lost to Hercules at home. Stuff happens in football, people really need to let the Luton game go.

I just want to go into next season in the new stadium in the prem so I see a point against Brighton as a good point. You can see our team still lacks quality and its very unlikely they will finish top half. But I've seen enough recently to suggest we should get above 15th and be comfortably safe.

This is barring anything over a 9 point deduction. Even then I think we have a fair chance of staying up.

Any point against a top half team needs to be considered a good one when our aim is to avoid relegation.

I really don’t overrate Brighton if you read back the amount of times I’ve argued against people claiming them to be brilliant.

I don’t think Gilmour Lallana and Gross are any great shakes at all, they’re all pretty average players who have decent technical skills and can keep possession and create chances. A pretty average skill set of what you’d expect from PL midfielders.

The problem is without Onana we have a terrible midfield. I like Garner for his effort and would probably put him alongside the Brighton lads but Gueye and Doucoure are utterly abysmal in possession and only real talents lie in running around lots without the ball. It’s therefore no shock that when your team has players who can’t keep the ball in it, you don’t have much possession.

This team would look a mile better with Onana over Gueye, and a proper number 10 over Doucoure.
We gave the ball away all day hoofing it, they had 80% possession. You dont have to pass to compete, we didnt pass much when we beat them last season. What we did do was get into them from the first minute, we put them under pressure and countered brilliantly. We surrendered today and played for a point against a bang average side like we have done all season at home against bang average sides.

He will have us comfortably mid table despite not having a pot to piss in.

After the last few years I’m not sure why that is scary.

not so sure about the comfortable. We're 11 points from 11 games. That isnt exactly singing from the roof tops comfortable right now. We're blessed so far that the 3 who have come up are struggling big time.

Long term scary is we're more than likely going to be his burnley. today was very burnley under dyche. Its where we're heading but we dont have a choice.

We gave the ball away all day hoofing it, they had 80% possession. You dont have to pass to compete, we didnt pass much when we beat them last season. What we did do was get into them from the first minute, we put them under pressure and countered brilliantly. We surrendered today and played for a point against a bang average side like we have done all season at home against bang average sides.

Will have to agree to disagree. I thought the performances v Fulham Wolves and Bournemouth were not those of team surrendering and setting up for a point regardless of how the results turned out, we had a right go in all those games . We were poor against Luton but that’s what happens when you’re a poor inconsistent team like we are.

Surrender is Everton conceding 4 to Brighton as they just outclassed us everywhere. It’s not what we saw today.

not so sure about the comfortable. We're 11 points from 11 games. That isnt exactly singing from the roof tops comfortable right now. We're blessed so far that the 3 who have come up are struggling big time.

Long term scary is we're more than likely going to be his burnley. today was very burnley under dyche. Its where we're heading but we dont have a choice.

We've fallen so far we've just got to accept where we are. In many ways, Dyche has got a pretty easy task this season as the only remit for him to keep his job will be to improve upon last year.

I'd expect him to do that and then I'd actually expect him to take us further forward again the following the season. Not dizzying heights but just solid progress. At this point I think he'll run into trouble as we'll have had an extended period with this style of football and it can be a tough watch.

I also think his lack of experience of bringing in quality players and managing them will be difficult for him. I could just see him forever choosing the likes of McNeil over Mitoma all day long based on loyalty and the need to have players who stick to his rigid tactics.

We've fallen so far we've just got to accept where we are. In many ways, Dyche has got a pretty easy task this season as the only remit for him to keep his job will be to improve upon last year.

I'd expect him to do that and then I'd actually expect him to take us further forward again the following the season. Not dizzying heights but just solid progress. At this point I think he'll run into trouble as we'll have had an extended period with this style of football and it can be a tough watch.

I also think his lack of experience of bringing in quality players and managing them will be difficult for him. I could just see him forever choosing the likes of McNeil over Mitoma all day long based on loyalty and the need to have players who stick to his rigid tactics.

Id say thats pretty much it. I havent got any issues with him really as he's a what it says on the tin manager. If the club wasnt in a mess sean dyche wouldnt be here.
But he is. Lets get on with it.

We are six points clear and our points per game rate is improving, I don’t see the issue.

This could end up being the lowest combined points total of the bottom 3 in PL history imo.
I think without a points deduction there's a good chance we're clear of danger by March but otherwise I imagine we'll be there and thereabouts - even if I agree, the bottom 3 are awful. It's a long season and I imagine Burnley will sack Kompany sooner rather than later.

Id say thats pretty much it. I havent got any issues with him really as he's a what it says on the tin manager. If the club wasnt in a mess sean dyche wouldnt be here.
But he is. Lets get on with it.
Doesn't mean he can't be criticised within that context, though.

He does some really good things but his use of subs has always been crap. Our squad isn't big, ofc, and in some positions today there just wasn't another option (CM for example). But down that right-hand side he had several options and he used none of them quickly enough.

Doesn't mean he can't be criticised within that context, though.

He does some really good things but his use of subs has always been crap. Our squad isn't big, ofc, and in some positions today there just wasn't another option (CM for example). But down that right-hand side he had several options and he used none of them quickly enough.

He is limited. Thats why he was at burnley for 10 years and out of work for a year when they sacked him.
But his teams are well drilled and we might just scrap enough wins to stay in this league. But we've hardly set this league alight for 30 years so we're not missing out. Its just more an acceptance now that we're here to survive now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back