Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

2023/24 Sean Dyche

Status
Not open for further replies.
I firmly disagree.

Im not claiming they get in any top 6 side.

But the majority arent bottom half players, the squad is good enough to finish mid-table and I shall not be swayed from that belief.

Well when you take out the top 6 and the bottom half you’re left with 7-10th. Dyche is onto an absolute loser there then isn’t he, if he does what I’d consider a really good season for these players and has us finishing 9th you’d just say that’s where we should be because it’s a mid table squad. Any lower and he should be getting more out the squad.

I tend to try and rank the quality of the PL squads on paper to see what a par target should be for a manager:

Man City
Arsenal
Liverpool
United
Chelsea
Spurs
Newcastle
Aston Villa
West Ham
Brighton
Palace
Brentford
Everton
Fulham
Wolves
Forest
Bournemouth
Sheffield United
Luton

People can argue a few places here and there but we’re probably somewhere between 13-15th on paper alongside Fulham and Wolves. I’d expect us to finish a bit higher than this because I think Dyche will have us punching higher but that does not mean we have a squad of top half players, far from it.

Today has proven what I suspected for a little while. The people who are anti-Dyche will jump on him the moment they feel they can.

In other words, there are some people who will remain nameless that simply have no objective relevance in this thread
If you’re happy with anti football, fair enough. I’m not

It's just watching Burnley under Dyche but in Blue, like an 11 Ashley Barnes. My son who is 15 says as long as it gets results that's all important and I know he's right.

But I can't see how ANYONE can say they're enjoying watching us, it makes my eyes bleed watching us not being able to string more than 3 passes together without a blammo into nowhere.

The players are working hard that's a massive tick
The players are organised (except on set pieces ( thags a tick )
The players are playing for the manager and that's a massive tick

But the football is just absolutely abysmal. I just don't see how anyone can say otherwise.

I don't want him sacked, he's grafting away as he knows how so i give him credit for that.

I just can't stomach such long periods of absolute nothingness, the home form is.....well the season tickets should be for free for the fans.

Those Everton sides finished 4th/5th/6th/7th.

Hardly a fair comparison.

That’s my exact point though. That was the standard required to just be in the top half pushing europe. Why are we suddenly expecting Dyche to be working wonders when his lost of best players include Tarkowski and McNeil, who as much as I like both of them, are not top quality PL players. Neither is Gueye, neither is Docuoure, neither is Young, neither is Mykolenko, neither is Garner or Harrison.

They’re all honest pros, hard workers, and some like Garner and McNeil have moments of talent but come on, these are not very good players who can deliver consistent quality to allow Everton to dominate the ball and play front foot football home and away against the majority of PL sides. Everyone knows this so I don’t see why this unrealistic expectation is in place. None of the top ten teams would swap their squad for ours, none.

Take the big 6, add in Newcastle, Villa, Brighton - which of those teams buys any of those players I said were bottom half and actually starts them? I’d wager very very few and maybe only to cover an injury etc.

They’re bottom half players and some could easily be playing in the championship and no one would give them a second look.
I'd have only taken Mitoma out of all their team today. Which of their world class midfielders Llalana, Gross or Gilmor would you have?.

So you agree, this squad is good enough to get 11th.

Glad we could agree.

If we get 11th it’s because Dyche is a far better manager than you give him credit for. Convenient argument though, any managerial achievement from someone you don’t like can just be rationalised away by ‘look the players obviously were capable of it’. If we come 17th I don’t think it would be accepted to say ‘the squad was poor enough to finish 17th’

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back