Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

2023/24 Sean Dyche

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd like him to be the right man, regardless of current circumstances.

To be that, he needs to stop being so negative at home.

I called it pragmatic last season, but with the 11 he has now, and pressure off - I'm calling it negative this season.

"It's definitely a point gained, they're a good outfit".

Everton can't play counter attacking football at Goodison.
The stream I watched the game on yesterday had Leon Osman doing the comms. He said during the second half of the game that whilst he is happy the team looks more of a unit at the moment he doesn't like the way we play at Goodison. He mentioned that having that little possession at home is a very risky way to play at times.

Every game at home we don't win is points lost. Sooner we get to that mentality, the better.

After 11 games last season we had 10 points.

After 11 games this season we have 11 points.

I'm risking ridicule here, but the level of our performances has been better than that. You'd be right to think "so what" but I don't think that can be discounted. Keep up our general level of performance we've shown in the first 11 games and we'll be OK - obviously helped by how poor the newly promoted teams have been.

You're right about getting to that mentality but let's be realistic about how shambolic we've been the past 2-3 years. For the first time in a while we've shown some sort of progress and like we have a semblance of a plan, even if it's a challenging watch.

(And no I'm not justifying how negative we were yesterday and how unreactive he was - it was poor game management)

I called it pragmatic last season, but with the 11 he has now, and pressure off - I'm calling it negative this season.

I have to disagree here just because I’d rather us grind out results and possibly get points on the board after a negative boring performance instead of trying to actually play and getting battered by teams, which teams like Brighton will do. Burnley are trying to do this exact thing at the minute and we turned them over without getting into second gear the other day.

Come the end of the season the points on the board is all that people will remember and us playing like this is our best chance at points. The fact is that theory is proven given how much I’ve seen that we’re only 1 point better off than this time last season, despite the fact that the look and feel of the team is completely different. We’re genuinely miles better than we were last year, I’d question anyone who watched us every week last year and now this year to argue otherwise.

What would you have done differently to yesterday then?

If we take one chance against Fulham or Wolves we beat them.

What a pathetic post.

I agree we need to push further up the field at home but I think the issues were as much a lack of quality rather than tactics yesterday. Our passing was really poor in the second half and there were lots of opportunities to counter attack. I just dont think we were good enough in possession.

I think Dyche's mistake was not making proactive subs to target the space in behind and get the second goal.

The stream I watched the game on yesterday had Leon Osman doing the comms. He said during the second half of the game that whilst he is happy the team looks more of a unit at the moment he doesn't like the way we play at Goodison. He mentioned that having that little possession at home is a very risky way to play at times.
Osman cheers on the oppo everytime the little kopite commentates

What would you have done differently to yesterday then?

If we take one chance against Fulham or Wolves we beat them.

What a pathetic post.

3 wins in 11 games.

1 home league win in 5 before yesterday - Fulham, Wolves, Luton, Arsenal Bournemouth.

Now 1 home league win in 6 - against very modest opposition.

I said yesterday Dyche would have taken a point before the game. Afterwards he admits it by saying it's definitely a point gained as they're a good side.

I've been his biggest advocate on here but Dyche is getting it wrong at home.

Only Luton, Sheff Utd and Burnley have a worse home record than us so far this season FFS - consider that against the fixtures we've played.

It’s just frustrating that we played better against them away at the Amex last season. We managed to counter attack much better then, rather than just sitting back like yesterday. It’s annoying because you feel like Dyche has the game plan to beat them and didn’t really try it this time.

3 wins in 11 games.

1 home league win in 5 before yesterday - Fulham, Wolves, Luton, Arsenal Bournemouth.

I said yesterday Dyche would have taken a point before the game. Afterwards he admits it by saying it's definitely a point gained as they're a good side.

Only Luton, Sheff Utd and Burnley have a worse home record than us so far this season FFS - consider that against the fixtures we've played.

On the flip side, and again I'm not justifying the poor home record (albeit a couple were proper smash and grabs), you could argue we're currently better set up for away games, at least against the non-"elite" teams. Put the onus on the other team to break us down. That seems like the reality of where we are at currently.

I see Forest didn’t [Poor language removed] themselves after going 1-0 up at home v a good side. And they got a second and got the points. Not rocket science

I have to disagree here just because I’d rather us grind out results and possibly get points on the board after a negative boring performance instead of trying to actually play and getting battered by teams, which teams like Brighton will do. Burnley are trying to do this exact thing at the minute and we turned them over without getting into second gear the other day.

Come the end of the season the points on the board is all that people will remember and us playing like this is our best chance at points. The fact is that theory is proven given how much I’ve seen that we’re only 1 point better off than this time last season, despite the fact that the look and feel of the team is completely different. We’re genuinely miles better than we were last year, I’d question anyone who watched us every week last year and now this year to argue otherwise.

Said all this for ages on here. Slated Lampard for trying to play better than the players he had - like trying to go toe to toe with Spurs away from home.

But for me, Dyche is too far. We had some breathing space yesterday - go and try and win the game.

Think back to Arsenal. Understood the approach but it was too far.

I said this yesterday;

I mean, we've got to win some games at home. We've got to start some games at home with us going to win the bloody thing and win it well.

Dread to think for us to be relying on away games.

... We've only scored more than 1 goal at Goodison under Dyche in the league once, against Bournemouth the other week. That's no coincidence.

3 wins in 11 games.

So what would you have done differently?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back