Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

2023/24 Sean Dyche

Status
Not open for further replies.
indeed, but are you telling me that you don’t see the difference between the amount of time the Brighton centre half’s are in possession and influencing / dictating the flow of the game, compared to Everton’s centre half’s?
You don't seem to realise that Dyche may have allowed their CBs time and space with the ball, as a deliberate ploy. They don't score with the ball at the CB's feet. We snotted them last season with a silly amount of possession. This comment " Now Branthwaite will never be allowed to play in that manner under Dyche. Even if he’s got all the potential to be excellent at it" Neither you, nor I, know what Dyche wants from Branthwaite, we haven't got a clue, but that West Ham goal itself shows that comment of yours to be totally ridiculous.

You don't seem to realise that Dyche may have allowed their CBs time and space with the ball, as a deliberate ploy. They don't score with the ball at the CB's feet. We snotted them last season with a silly amount of possession. This comment " Now Branthwaite will never be allowed to play in that manner under Dyche. Even if he’s got all the potential to be excellent at it" Neither you, nor I, know what Dyche wants from Branthwaite, we haven't got a clue, but that West Ham goal itself shows that comment of yours to be totally ridiculous.
Yeah ok

The only caveat I will add against this is the players obviously had tired after a while and Brighton did start to threaten more, but for the most part Pickford was pretty carefree. Players probably should have been subbed but hindsight and all that. We were very solid and then the deflection happened
Yep, it was crying out for fresh legs. They were making sub after sub while ol' stubborn Dyche refuses to change personell, tactics or formation during a game.

We started from a position of two last day relegation fights, we have to sell to buy or wait until late in the window when teams will accept structured payments, we have an unbalanced squad with bloated contracts that are nightmare to move on from previous regimes, we have just sacked the entire board and had a failed takeover thanks to bills cronies and now another lingering takover starts. We've been a bottom 5 club for two seasons, poch and the aussie don't start from that position, we have less money to spend than them and the new management is not yet a season old.

We have shown an upward curve under this management in pretty much any format you want to talk about. Do you reallt think any performance below the level of the team currently top is inacceptable and that ithas to happen instantly, as in your words, timescales are moot.
Surely, Dyche has been part and parcel of dictating who is in excess and who is needed. The relegation fight was something we put ourselves in through gross naivety. Dyche himself only spoke about the imbalance at the end of the season and was praising our squad pillar to post. These are common in large amount of clubs but it seems spectacular as it is Everton doing it, it is just bad management of the club. I take what you say with a pinch of salt cause, there was very vocal support for most of the managers gone by only to renege on it later on when shown a different side of things. I am a cynic and will see the damage done to our club in a relatively small period of time even under Dyche and Thelwell. We are bereft of any major player assets that are free of payment structures, the new stadium is currently hemorrhaging money despite its ultimate value, we need millions a month to stay afloat, and all our current assets are mortgaged. Timescales are also relative my friend.

Surely, Dyche has been part and parcel of dictating who is in excess and who is needed. The relegation fight was something we put ourselves in through gross naivety. Dyche himself only spoke about the imbalance at the end of the season and was praising our squad pillar to post. These are common in large amount of clubs but it seems spectacular as it is Everton doing it, it is just bad management of the club. I take what you say with a pinch of salt cause, there was very vocal support for most of the managers gone by only to renege on it later on when shown a different side of things. I am a cynic and will see the damage done to our club in a relatively small period of time even under Dyche and Thelwell. We are bereft of any major player assets that are free of payment structures, the new stadium is currently hemorrhaging money despite its ultimate value, we need millions a month to stay afloat, and all our current assets are mortgaged. Timescales are also relative my friend.
Relative perhaps, certainly not irrelevant.

Doucoure is fulfilling a role that Beto isn't yet up to filling. Martinez teams never 'just passed it round at the back' but that was what did for him. That was his philosophy, very much the same way it is for De Zerbi. The Moyes team had a better balance to it, a better balance than Martinez could muster. When he tried to fill the team with players capable of his philosophy, rather than a hybrid, he blew it cause the balance went. If we brought De Zerbi, the exact same thing would happen and we'd collapse quicker than your argument, because for a few years at least, you'd be asking Tarkowski to be Stones and Patterson to be Trippier. Neither will ever be either.

Let's look at the weekend, when were we really troubled, like properly last gasp defending. Once? Twice? They passed the ball a lot, much of it at the back when we stood off. Played lots of goalkicks sideways. They played nice 1 touch football, played passes on the turn, but a well organised team can be drilled to stop that, se nearly did and we're shabite.

Exciting football for me is counter attack football, forward balls looking to split a defence, it may even be one pass into the middle and then forwards or out wide to get the ball into the middle for the striker or supporting midfielder.

Dyche isn't the perfect manager for a great Everton side, but he's OK for what we are now, and his style suits the players we have at our disposal. As for purchasing Beto, it's much more sensible to buy one player that suits a squad and existing style than it is to buy the 9 we'd likely need to change the style to what you like. We tried doing that, it's left us fighting relegation for the last two seasons.
Yoh obviously like the dour manager. What happened yesterday would happen 6/7 times a season under Moyes. Shutting up shop in the 2nd half trying to hold on to a one goal lead and eventually concede late on.

And martinez had jags, Coleman, distain, McCarthy. Hardly great technical players. And bit harsh on Patterson who young and looks like he could be a very good attacking full back, unfortunately he’s under a manager who doesn’t want him to do that.

Martinez was a poor manager, yet added some stardust to a moyes team and became a better team. How many times has 72 points missed out in top 4? And if a poor manager can do that what would a good manager have done.

And Beto is a striker and if he’s worse technically than doucoure we may as well have thrown 30mil in the Mersey

Trying not to lose is exactly is exactly what a team coming off back to back relegation fights should be doing. One point a game probably sees us safe with room to spare. Fellas moaning about the style of play being turgid or whatever would be moaning twice as much and calling Dyche naïve (and worse) had we gone all out against those and got beat.
Look what happened after they scored, we went on the attack had 2 corners a few balls into the box, one cleared off the line. Nobody is saying go all out attack, just have some balance and not be terrified of loosing.

He is limited. Thats why he was at burnley for 10 years and out of work for a year when they sacked him.
But his teams are well drilled and we might just scrap enough wins to stay in this league. But we've hardly set this league alight for 30 years so we're not missing out. Its just more an acceptance now that we're here to survive now.
Oh he's got positives. We're on our best run in ages (which is sad, because it's not exactly an amazing run) and I think, big points deduction aside, we'll be safe as houses.

Look what happened after they scored, we went on the attack had 2 corners a few balls into the box, one cleared off the line. Nobody is saying go all out attack, just have some balance and not be terrified of loosing.
That's a fair point but the counter is that Brighton also sat back a little more once they had something to lose which means Everton looked more attacking.

Yep there's a world of options between what was served up yesterday and going gung ho all out attack. Try and get it down and play at some stage, not all the time, go long sure, but try and play sometimes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back